• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I get fast pass for my family when they are not in the park?

suzannedid

Mouseketeer
I am going to arrive at DIsney/MK on the morning of Dec 16th.

My daughter and her family will not arrive until 7:00 that night. I am driving and she is flying.

When I arrive at Magic Kingdom Saturday, can I take my daughter's room key (I am checking her in the hotel before she arrives) and get her a fast pass so that when she arrives at 7:00 she will be able to ride one of the rides that are hard to get on.. For example, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad. I can watch the fast pass clock and try to get a pass at or near the time she will arrive.

Will there be a problem using her key since she will not be at the park yet?

Since MK is open late on Saturday, I am going to pick her up at the airport and drive straight to MK.

I am sure all the fast passes will be gone by the time she arrives.

I do not believe a ticket can be used to obtain a fastpass unless that ticket was used to gain entry to the park. The FP machine will not 'recognize' the ticket as being in the park, since it wasn't used at the turnstiles.

You could, of course, use your own ticket to get a fastpass, and simply allow her to use the fastpass once she's in the park.

Btuftee is correct. A park ticket must be scanned at the entrance in order for it to work in the FP machines.

also remember that when you get a fastpass it has a certain time to return
so if you get one at 10:00, it might say to come back between 1:00-2:00

that would be worthless for someone arriving at 7-8:00 at night, your best
bet is to just all go to the park and take your chances

suzannedid said:

My daughter and her family will not arrive until 7:00 that night. I am driving and she is flying.

When I arrive at Magic Kingdom Saturday, can I take my daughter's room key (I am checking her in the hotel before she arrives) and get her a fast pass so that when she arrives at 7:00 she will be able to ride one of the rides that are hard to get on.. For example, Splash Mountain, Big Thunder Railroad. I can watch the fast pass clock and try to get a pass at or near the time she will arrive.

Since MK is open late on Saturday, I am going to pick her up at the airport and drive straight to MK.

You also need park admission (Magic Your Way Park Tickets) to gain admission to the parks, a room key is only good for entering the room. And the resort cards that you get (with your name on them) are only for park purchases like food, souveniers, etc., not for park admission.

Your daughter, and her family, will each only be able to gain admission to one of the four parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom) if they are there in person to have their admission media (Magic Your Way Tickets) scanned. You can find a breakdown of types of admission packages right here on the DIS Boards, or on allearsnet.com. Hope this info helps. :goodvibes

I am glad you asked this questions. Me and my wife will be arriving at the same time, but for fun I asked her this very questions last night.

grumpydad said:
also remember that when you get a fastpass it has a certain time to return
so if you get one at 10:00, it might say to come back between 1:00-2:00

that would be worthless for someone arriving at 7-8:00 at night, your best
bet is to just all go to the park and take your chances

Although, some people on this forum have noted that most CMs will let you on a ride with an expired fastpass, if it's for that day. I've never tried this myself, but if the only FP you can get her would be expired, you might as well give it a shot.

Another tip for getting on popular rides is to go during or immediately after the last parade of the evening. Last visit, we were able to ride BTMR twice and Splash once all within the 20 minutes or so between the end of the evening parade and park close (when the fireworks started).

I guess I will go ahead and get her a fast pass with my card.

I can go ahead and ride one of the rides early in the day and get her a fp with my card sometime in the afternoon before they run out. . I just got to make sure I get it to say 7:00 or later.

Thanks to everyone who helped me decid :cheer2: e what to do.

Lorelai said:
You also need park admission (Magic Your Way Park Tickets) to gain admission to the parks, a room key is only good for entering the room. And the resort cards that you get (with your name on them) are only for park purchases like food, souveniers, etc., not for park admission.

Your daughter, and her family, will each only be able to gain admission to one of the four parks (Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, Animal Kingdom) if they are there in person to have their admission media (Magic Your Way Tickets) scanned. You can find a breakdown of types of admission packages right here on the DIS Boards, or on allearsnet.com. Hope this info helps. :goodvibes

This is not correct. If they have a package, their ticket will be on their room key.

You can used fastpasses later than the stated time as long as it is the same day. We do it all the time and have never had a problem. You just can't use them early. So you could get a FP earlier and then get another one later and then use them both when your daughter arrives.

suzannedid said:
I guess I will go ahead and get her a fast pass with my card.

I can go ahead and ride one of the rides early in the day and get her a fp with my card sometime in the afternoon before they run out. . I just got to make sure I get it to say 7:00 or later.

Thanks to everyone who helped me decid :cheer2: e what to do.

There will be a board with the FP return times that are being given out at that moment. So, if you were to get there at say, 3:30 pm, the board might say that the FPs being given out now are for the time frame of perhaps 6:10-7:10. So, you'll know before you try to get the FP what time the return time will be for. Hope that makes sense.

The fastpass question has already been addressed but I'm not even sure you can check her in. Maybe that's only if you have the dining plan (I know you can't do it then) but you might want to call and make sure that you can check her and the family in without them present.

Absolutely not....fast passes only work if the pass for each person has been used to enter the park.

suzannedid said:

Allison said:
This is not correct. If they have a package, their ticket will be on their room key.
Oops, thanks for the correction. We've never done a package before, we always book seperately. :)

Lorelai said:
Oops, thanks for the correction. We've never done a package before, we always book seperately. :)

Us too. I have heard other people mention it o/w I wouldn't have know either. I think I read this board too much. ;)

Side note; a FP is good any time after its scheduled entry and THE DATE DOESN'T MATTER. If you get a FP for a ride that says return time 1:00-2:00, you get to use that pass any time after 1:00, and ANY DAY after 1:00 if you don't use it that day for some reason. [the reason may be that the date prints very tiny on the bottom of the pass and the CM won't be checking dates, just times. This hint was given to me last trip down by a lady who had a folder FULL of 'old' FP's she was using, and just for fun I got FP's for Big Thunder that day that I'll be using in November.]

Actually, date on the FP can be a reason to invalidate it. Some CMs check and some don't. Do try to use the FP on the date it was issued.

As for the OPs question. Sadly I don't know of any work around for this other than this: if it's one ride you really want to go on, get a FP earlier in the day and then return to that attraction every two hours and get one more FP from the machine until you have enough for your party. This means you can't use your ticket to get other FPs throughout the day, but you will be able to on at least one attraction with little or no wait when the rest of your party arrives.

My advice, however, is to either skip the park that day and use the days admission on a day when the whole group can be there for most of the day.

Also keep in mind that the last hour or so of the park's opening is magic hour when most attractions have very short queues. So you should be able to get a lot done then. (This doesn't apply if there is a special event or extra magic hours scheduled for that night, of course).

4EverFigment said:
Side note; a FP is good any time after its scheduled entry and THE DATE DOESN'T MATTER.

The rules printed on every FP state that the date does matter. If you have an expired FP that you want to use, mention it to a CM at the entrance to the ride. They may tell you to go ahead and use it. Asking could help save you some serious embarrassment if someone is checking dates and sticks to the rules.

HBC

I'll be touring with 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 of each will not be interested in most fastpass rides, can I get a fastpass for 2 and the other 2 get adifferent fastpass elsewhere for us to use? On a different note, will a Fantasmic dining package save time(I'm on the DDP and interested in Sci-fi, but would consider changing in the interest of time saved).

grimgrinner said:
I'll be touring with 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 of each will not be interested in most fastpass rides, can I get a fastpass for 2 and the other 2 get adifferent fastpass elsewhere for us to use? On a different note, will a Fantasmic dining package save time(I'm on the DDP and interested in Sci-fi, but would consider changing in the interest of time saved).

Just insert the park tickets for the guests who want to ride a specific ride into the correct fast pass machine, and only they will get the fastpasses for that ride. Then go to another fast pass machine to get passes for the other two with their tickets.

So, you only insert the park admission media into a fastpass machine for those who want to ride that particular attraction. For example, if you and one child want to ride Splash Mtn., only put in your two tickets. Then, if the other adult and child wants to ride Winnie the Pooh, they should not get a FP for Splash at all, they should take their tickets to a Winnie fast pass machine.

Hope that helps! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter