Can I get asked to take off my shirt? Can I get sued for wearing a Disney design

vanderj

Earning My Ears
Just wanted to see if anyone on here has had this happen to them. I was showing off all the wonderful designs that have been made for my family along with the shirts that I made with these designs. When a friend of mine sent me this message.

"Something to warn you about with doing a Disney design type shirt and wearing to the parks. Disney is very protective about their copyrighted designs so even if you think you have created an original design, if it even remotely looks like theirs ( like the shape of Mickey) they have been known to demand you take it off on the spot and have sued people! I think you should know just in case! The font you had in the design is their font and they could be nasty! Just heard 2 women got sued for $10,000 each for just buying shirts on ebay that someone else designed that infringed on Disney. Disney won."

Is this true? I have made the shirts my self (no one made money) but I have also made some cards and scrapbook pages from a online source with these (paid money for these). Can/Will I get in trouble?

:rotfl2: I'm sorry, but I just had this hysterical vision of thousands of guests running around with no shirts on! :rotfl2: To answer your question, no Disney will not ask you to take off your shirt. In fact we were complimented by many Castmembers on our homemade matching Disney Shirts. We wore them every day of of our last trip. Yes, Disney does crack down hard on people who sell them places like ebay or etsy, but if you made them yourself they won't ask you to take it off. :goodvibes

My boys wear shirts I make from the DISbaords every day of every trip. I can't even count how many different shirts we have made and worn to the parks through the years. We have gotten numerous coments from CM's - all positive. They comment on how much they like the boys shirts. The characters especially love seeing themselves on designs. I do not think you have anything to worry about. Wear your shirts and have fun!

I have been going to Disney for years wearing my own home-made shirts. I received many compliments from CM's, and even one person, who introduced herself as a Disney merchandise marketing representative, asked me if she could take pictures of my wheelchair caddy that I had made. It covered the back of my wheelchair, had a cup holder with a Mickey embroidered head on one side, and Minnie on the other. She commented on how creative it was and wanted to show the pictures to her colleagues. She didn't ask my name, and thats been about 3 yrs ago, and i've not heard anything...she was very nice and complimentary..so it seems if they had problems with people doing this kind of stuff she would have been different and said something...I wouldn't worry about it at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter