• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

can I freeze romaine lettuce for use in soups. stews etc?

pampam

DIS Veteran
I have an excess of it and can only eat so many salads, so I thought perhaps I could freeze it to use later in casseroles, stews etc. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have an idea where to find recipes for other uses for romaine besides salads?

I've never tried freezing lettuce, but do I know that you can make a really nice soup from lettuce. You can freeze the soup.

You can also juice it with some granny smith apples. Wouldn't juice more than 3 cups/day. You would get lots of nutrients without the fiber that way.

I have an excess of it and can only eat so many salads, so I thought perhaps I could freeze it to use later in casseroles, stews etc. Has anyone done this? Does anyone have an idea where to find recipes for other uses for romaine besides salads?

No lettuce doesn't freeze well. Once defrosted it has more a consistency of seaweed.

You can substitute romaine leaves for tortillas for wraps.

You can stuff them like cabbage.

You can cook some chop meat with Mexican seasoning, some cheese, tomato, onion, sprinkle large Doritos crumbs, at Catalina dressing; no one in our house ever tires of that.

For a sandwich, dice some avocado, shrimp and romaine.Mix in a little dill, rosemary, lemon and mustard. Get a nice loaf of sourdough or your favorite from the local supermarket bakery to serve the mix on.

Diced fish (shrimp or scallops work too), lime juice and cilantro mix. Wrap in the romaine leaves.

Dice some chicken, shredded carrots, a little fresh basil, blue cheese crumbles with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (works best if you mix the chicken in the oil/vinegar) Wrap in the romaine leaves or cut hearts in half, hallow and use to serve.

Fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers, diced annie smith apples, some black forest ham or prosciutto. Oil, balsamic, oregano, a little mustard. Wrap them in the leaves or cut hearts in half, hallow server.

lettuce turns into a gelatinous goop once it's frozen. Unrecognizable. Juice it and freeze it for a short time but even that could be weird. Give it away.

The only thing I use frozen leaves for is for green smoothies. They are cold and pulverized in the blender so texture is a non issue.

If I couldn't or didn't make the smoothies and had that much I would give it away too.

No lettuce doesn't freeze well. Once defrosted it has more a consistency of seaweed.

You can substitute romaine leaves for tortillas for wraps.

You can stuff them like cabbage.

You can cook some chop meat with Mexican seasoning, some cheese, tomato, onion, sprinkle large Doritos crumbs, at Catalina dressing; no one in our house ever tires of that.

For a sandwich, dice some avocado, shrimp and romaine.Mix in a little dill, rosemary, lemon and mustard. Get a nice loaf of sourdough or your favorite from the local supermarket bakery to serve the mix on.

Diced fish (shrimp or scallops work too), lime juice and cilantro mix. Wrap in the romaine leaves.

Dice some chicken, shredded carrots, a little fresh basil, blue cheese crumbles with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. (works best if you mix the chicken in the oil/vinegar) Wrap in the romaine leaves or cut hearts in half, hallow and use to serve.

Fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers, diced annie smith apples, some black forest ham or prosciutto. Oil, balsamic, oregano, a little mustard. Wrap them in the leaves or cut hearts in half, hallow server.

Okay. Great. Just finished lunch and now I'm hungry. :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter