Can I do this with waitlist?

tink_lover

POLKA PRINCESS
I asked earlier and found out that my WL won't go thru because I need a few more points. I have lost out on WL twice now because I haven't seen the opening online and been able to call to book and purchase the few extra points I need for one more night.

Can I book for a future stay (like booking a dummy cruise), purchase the few extra points I need then WL what I really want marking to cancel the current booking to use those points when it becomes available? I would do this so the extra points are in my account and my WL won't get cancelled when/if the room becomes available.

I believe if you book a dummy cruise or any cruise with pts and cancel you can no longer use these pts in the DVC system.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I believe if you book a dummy cruise or any cruise with pts and cancel you can no longer use these pts in the DVC system.

that sounds correct to me. the points become "reservation pts" and can no longer be used to book DVC resorts.

paults said:
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I have heard that too. If the points become allocated for a cruise then they can't be transferred back.

I believe the OP is talking about booking a DVC stay, not a cruise. The cruise was used as an example.

Yes, the dummy cruise was example. I'm not sure that I'm making sense with this. I meant book a home resort stay and purchase the few extra points I need for a waitlist stay. I can't keep checking the DVC site to grab the room when available. Twice now, it has been, but my waitlist won't go thru because I need a few extra points. I keep hoping I will see it online and be able to call quick.

If I can do this, my waitlist would go thru because I would check the box that says to cancel the other stay and use the points for the waitlist stay. Has anyone ever done this?

I asked earlier and found out that my WL won't go thru because I need a few more points. I have lost out on WL twice now because I haven't seen the opening online and been able to call to book and purchase the few extra points I need for one more night.

Can I book for a future stay (like booking a dummy cruise), purchase the few extra points I need then WL what I really want marking to cancel the current booking to use those points when it becomes available? I would do this so the extra points are in my account and my WL won't get cancelled when/if the room becomes available.

That is a great question. You'd have to book a reservation at your home that used the same amount of points as what you need, no more, no less or you'll be in a different scenario. Theoretically I think what you are outlining could work. I'd originally thought the one time use points were literally one time booking but in reading up in more detail I believe they become treated like a normal use year point should you have to cancel, except you can't bank them. You'd want your dummy booking to match the dates of what you really want as closely as possible I'd think and make sure your dummy booking is in the same use year as your desired booking. The only time I could see this not working (unless I am missing something) is if for some reason your desired dates straddle your use year.

Yes, that's what I mean. I have a stay later this fall and if I add 2 extra nights (which I would book separately), it is the exact number of points I need - I would purchase some of the once-a-year extra- for my waitlist. I may try this unless someone else posts they tried and it didn't work.

Yes, that's what I mean. I have a stay later this fall and if I add 2 extra nights (which I would book separately), it is the exact number of points I need - I would purchase some of the once-a-year extra- for my waitlist. I may try this unless someone else posts they tried and it didn't work.

The one time use points can't be used during the 11 month booking period, only for 7 months prior to arrival. Also the one-time points cannot be used to fulfill a waitlist.

tink_lover said:

If you are booking 7 months or less, the yes, you can make a reservation and then waitlist for That same ought...the drawback, obviously, is that once you,purchase the points, they will expire at the end of that UY so if your waitlist doesn't fill, and you won't travel after that, they could go to waste.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter