• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can I come back

Mickeytaker

Scot in Florida
Hi Everyone -

Long time no see. What a lot of changes, very nice.
I see a lot of names I recognise, good to see everyone is still here.

Why have I been gone so long.................
BIG changes. I made a decision to fulfill my ambition to live in Florida. I came Oct 2001 for 2 weeks, stayed for 8 weeks!!! I went home to Scotland in December, packed up and came back here February 2002.
Where did the year go!!
I spent most of it travelling around, visiting Mickey and getting settled to life in Florida. I miss family and friends back home but can't say i've missed the weather. It gets cold here too but nothing like Scotland.
January this year I got my green card, last week I got a job!! Starting next Monday.
I've a whole lot to catch up on now - Once I get through the posts I hope to be here more often. If I can be of any help to anyone with anything just shout.

Nice to be back.
Julie :)

Wow I'm so jealous ;) I hope you have visited Mickey lots and said Hello for us.

Good luck with the job on Monday - what are you doing?

Kaylee

Hi Julie :) :) :) !!!

Welcome back - it's great to see you posting again!
Congratulations on the move and good luck with your new job.

Now you are back, I hope you'll be able to visit regularly :cool:

Thank you Kaylee , my posh job title is Internet Technical Support Representative' Just problem solving support really.

Thanks Shirley, I hope to be here on a daily basis now even though i've to work :) I need to catch up with everything.
Not such a nice day in SUNNY florida today, we're just back in wet from the rain after the storms :(

A view from my window - on a sunnier day.

47b3dd06b3127cce95faa57738420000001610

Hi Julie,

Lovely to hear from you:p It's great to hear everthing has worked out so well for you:D

I am JELOUS;) :Pinkbounc :bounce:
Stay in touch on DIS

Congratulations on the job front and best wishes with your new adventure. At least the rain in Florida will remind you of back home:p .

Annmarie

mickeytaker how did you manage to get a green card and stay in florida, thats my ambition to move there and thought you maybe had to open up a business to live there and have been racking my brain to think up a new adventure to get in , i watch escape to the sun every day and it just depresses me so any tips would be great thanks
mags (also from miserable scotland)

Like Banjo, I'd like to know how you got a green card - apparently without a job or opening up a business?

I'm sorry. I did overlook mentioning the hard parts!! It certainly is not easy to come here and stay - unless you don't go back when your visa runs out :eek:
I did have a lot of help from a very good friend here. Even at that it wasn't the easiest nor cheapest thing i've done. My friend couldn't believe the hassles and runaround involved.

Nevertheless you've gone and done it! Well done. Hope all goes well for you - must chase up that application form...............!

thanks for your reply mickeytaker all i can do is live and hope one day my chance comes to do the same as it's all i can think about for the last couple of years so i'll just keep wishing
margaret

Hi Julie,

Congratulations, where in Scotland were you from?

Sister and I are hoping to emigrate in the not too distant future - well we're dead set on it, but as we work in healthcare it is harder to get there - we have multiple exams to do. At the moment we're working towards going to Vancouver, BC which at least will get us to North America and after that we may be able to cross the border frequently, if not permanently. We have relatives in Baltimore - fat lot of good that does us though from the job point of view, oh and we're over 21 and not exactly dependent either.

At least I'll be a little closer to the magic (of both WDW and of course DLR, Ca!!!)

John :bounce:

Hi John,

I wish you and your sister all the luck in the world getting here. They sure don't make it easy.
You say you've got relatives in Baltimore? Are they close family? If they are they could sponsor you. All it needs is someone to say they will 'keep' you in the event you don't have a job - only so you won't claim benefits.
I also have heard it's much easier to get in from Canada than UK. I can't confirm that but maybe someone else could help with that one?
If you want any information on anything I might be able to help you with just email and i'll get back to you asap.

I just survived the first week of work!! It's so different here from home. Six months before I get 3 days holiday awarded! Then you have to do 80 hours for every 3 hours addition to holiday entitlement. They can't imagine getting handed 4 weeks holiday a year as statutory. There are a lot of things to concider here but it's still a good move :D

Hi Julie

Thanks for the words of advice and encouragement. I know that our holidays in Canada are dependent on years service, but we'd hopefully be working in a flexible general practice environment so would hopefully be able to take holidays at a convenient time and maybe manage more frequent trips to WDW etc. Our salary would be a lot better in BC, and that's the joke of it... the jobs in BC are abundant apparently because all their medical staff are going south for better pay in the states. The BC salary makes my salary look like a joke, and I'm still doing 12 hour shifts here.

I envy you being so close to Mickeyland, but I hope to get there a bit more often. That is pretty much what I do, save up between holidays for another one. Try to spend little on other things in between.

Good luck with the job and the days off. What are your hours like?
How often do you get to visit WDW and have you purchased an annual pass yet? By the way, would love to know what's on the Florida residents section of the official WDW web site. Lucky you has access to it now!

John;) ;) :p ;)

Wow you're up early LOL

I didn't know Canada were desperate for health workers more than here! I know some states seem to be in desperation with staff working 12 hours and days off. Maybe it's dependant on what state you want - I don't know. salary in this part of Florida isn't great, not so many jobs available in the more remote parts :)

I'm close to Mickeyland - only a two hour drive BUT it would be nice to have holidays to be able to go whenever I wanted :D I did have an annual pass but it expired last month. I'll have to wait until it's time to go again before renewing.

My job hours are anything between 7am and midnight!! 8 hour shift so you're there nine including lunch. I was hoping for part time but it's not looking likely. I'll have to sneak off to see Mickey on days off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter