Can I check a soft sided cooler as luggage?

NickNElliesMom

Earning My Ears
I have a cube soft sided cooler, on wheels with a retractable handle. I was thinking about packing this with snacks and bottled water from home, so that we won't have to buy as many snacks in the parks. Does anybody know if I can check this as luggage? We're flying SW, so I know that we each get 2 pieces of luggage checked for free, and the weight limitation is under 50 lbs. I can't imagine the water and snacks would weight that much. But is it alright to pack food like this as checked luggage? I don't want to get to the airport and have to leave it behind.

Yes you can! And it wouldn't be a problem if it went over 50 pounds- you would just have to pay an overweight fee. :scared1:

Could you yes. Should you NO. Ask on the transportation board how many people had luggage soaked from a broken item in someone elses luggage.

If you are going to despite the above to use sturdier luggage and have it wrapped in in several layers of plastic bags to make it leak proof as possible.

Denise in MI

Yes you can! And it wouldn't be a problem if it went over 50 pounds- you would just have to pay an overweight fee. :scared1:

depending on size as well, there is a over size fee.. Watch out and be prepared for random fees, it is overly large or over weight

I would worry about the cooler breaking if it was checked baggage. Even suitcases built for airline abuse come out damaged. I have a soft sided cooler on wheels and I bring it as my carry on. I pack it with makeup and a change of clothes, then empty it out at the hotel.

what if I packed it folded into a hard sided suitcase along with the water, packed with lots of bags? Would that be a better idea? We drink a lot of water, and I know that I can get a case of water for not much more than the cost of a single bottle or two at the park.

In February '10 I had an automobile accident at Disney, ended up flying home and had to check our fairly large electric cooler. I ended up filling it with the junk (umbrellas, picnic blanket, etc.) from my trunk and strapping it with duck tape-also from my trunk, hubby likes to be prepared! Disney Resort Airline Check-in wouldn't accept it so I had to store the cooler with bell services till I could bring it with me on the ME bus. Once at the airport I had no problems checking it with Southwest. I can't vouch for anyone else's experience but our cooler arrived safe and sound.

I pack a case of water every time I fly. I divide the case into 2 checked pieces of luggage, and put each half into 2 garbage bags. I have never had a leak issue, even when bottles have broken.

I pack a case of water every time I fly. I divide the case into 2 checked pieces of luggage, and put each half into 2 garbage bags. I have never had a leak issue, even when bottles have broken.

Thank you! I feel much better about it now, I will definitely wrap them in several bags, to make sure everything else stays dry.

To clarify my answer- Yes, the airlines will accept a soft sided cooler as checked luggage.
Yes it can be filled with bottled water and snacks as you were asking.

Now I answered yes you can because I know you are a reasonable person who will pack your cooler with common sense. (All us Disers have common sense ;) )

I realize there are plenty of people out there who don't pack carefully but it isn't just in coolers. I have seen rotten fruit and unsealed red fruit punch containers in regular suitcases and yes, these things leak on other's luggage.

I have also seen an entire deer head- still bleeding in a cooler but it was properly saran wrapped and nothing was leaking.

I was more answering the question of whether it could be brought on or not. Not debating if its a good idea or not. :rotfl:

Basically, the airlines will accept *almost* anything. Look around at some of the other luggage next time you're at the airport. You might see the other 30 coolers that will go onto the plane with yours along with the duct taped boxes that one family uses because they cant afford suitcases. They will sit next to the thirty foot long tube that holds pole vaulting poles and the sports equipment for your MLB team that just went down to spring training. Oh, and that fancy Louis Vitton could be placed right on top of that trash bag holding the sleeping bags-the one that had the giant roach climb out of it. Unfortunately that is the reality of flying. Not everyone thinks or is considerate of others.

OP- the best way to take water is if you can leave it in its original case, still shrink wrapped. That will help keep them from being crushed and it adds stability to the cooler. The other poster who told you to put them in a trash bag was right on track. If you pack towels for the pool, you can also put them around it to cushion. The bags get banged around quite a bit so you would have to judge how sturdy the cooler is.
Have a great trip and don't stress too much over it. Hundreds of people do it every day.

You can, but have you thought of maybe just ordering a case or 2 of water online and having it shipped to the hotel and picking it up when you get there. I have heard of other people doing this. I wouldn't want to have to worry about carrying something like that to the airport and then the hotel if there was an alternative.

What if you put a plastic rubbermaid container on the inside and filled it with the water to prevent breakage/leakage. We traveled home last summer with a few bottles of wine that we wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a plastic tote and asked the airline to put a fragile sticker on our luggage. The wine made it home with no problems.

Have a great trip and don't stress too much over it. Hundreds of people do it every day.

Thank you! I promise to you use my common sense. I learned the hard way when I was a teenager that all liquids need to be put into sealed ziploc bags, with an extra bag around it. I had a shampoo bottle leak all over my clothes, not a fun way to start vacation. Since then, I've always packed very carefully.

Thank you so much for putting these questions and answers out there. They have helped me sooo much. We are flying SW this summer to Hilton Head. I was going to buy a cooler when we got there and then not bring it home. But these ideas are so much better. I didn't even think of bringing one of my coolers as checked baggage. I have a soft side with wheels that would be great and I think I will pack with all the snacks and breakfast foods in there that I normally put in a suitcase. Then, I can use it for souvenirs on the way home. PERFECT!:goodvibes Thanks OP for the conversation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter