Can I charge everything to my MB and get Travel Category points?

Hisgirl

DIS Veteran
I got approved for the new chase reserve and they give 3X points for travel purchases. I'm wondering what all I can get that for if I charge everything to my magicband then pay off my resort bill at the end of the trip.

What if I got an annual pass, can I use the MB to pay for that too or is it a credit card charge right there in person?

I know that when I charge to my room and pay it off with my AMEX Blue Sky card, it categorizes it as "travel" and I can redeem my points for a statement credit. I would assume that a resort hotel would qualify as a "travel" purchase, regardless of what card you use, but I can't speak for Chase.

I do this all the time. If I charge to my room, it gets billed to something like Walt Disney World Resort and is categorized as "travel", so I can use my travel rewards. Even places like the Lego Store work.

What about buying an annual pass. Can I magicband that too?
Just to be clear, you are not "charging" anything to your Magic Band. If you are staying at a Disney Resort, it works as a device for accessing your room charging privileges. The way that your credit card categorizes Disney Resort charges will determine whether you get bonus points for travel. Since the Chase Reserve credit card has not been around for very long, there's no way to give you a definitive answer.

As for charging APs with the MB, that's a possibility. If you could use your KTTW card to pay for it in the past, you can use the MB to pay for it now. Just don't exceed the dollar limit for your resort level.

Thanks, yes, I know I'm not 'charging' something, it's just semantics. "Forwarding" a charge to my resort bill is what I'm doing. I can't find anything online to say if I can pay for a ticket with my magicband, or if that is an upfront CC charge.

I don't know if you can use the MB to buy an AP, I'm sure someone here can answer that. There is also a Magic Band sticky thread on the Theme Parks Attractions & strategies board, maybe ask there.

My credit cards always say it depends completely on how the merchant codes the sale. My Chase Sapphire counted my Undercover Tourist tickets as travel, so yours may count tickets as travel even if you don't use your magic band.

Last edited:
Thanks, yes, I know I'm not 'charging' something, it's just semantics. "Forwarding" a charge to my resort bill is what I'm doing. I can't find anything online to say if I can pay for a ticket with my magicband, or if that is an upfront CC charge.
Yes, I've done this before.
But, there will probably be others that will tell you that it can't be done.

OP, thank you for this question, as I was wondering it myself. When you charge to your room (magic band), your credit card is only charged once, and so I too am thinking that it is charged as lodging/travel.

In my research on this topic, I did see that if you just purchase tickets through Disney, that merchant code is not travel, and I'm guessing it would be "entertainment." So, I think you are right on about trying to charge your AP to your magic band, so that it codes as travel.

I'm hoping there will be others who confirm you can charge your AP to your magic band.

OP, thank you for this question, as I was wondering it myself. When you charge to your room (magic band), your credit card is only charged once, and so I too am thinking that it is charged as lodging/travel.

In my research on this topic, I did see that if you just purchase tickets through Disney, that merchant code is not travel, and I'm guessing it would be "entertainment." So, I think you are right on about trying to charge your AP to your magic band, so that it codes as travel.

I'm hoping there will be others who confirm you can charge your AP to your magic band.
I will be there on Thurs. and I will be renewing my AP (using a MYW ticket for the renewal, so it needs to be done at guest services or a ticket booth). I'll try to charge the balance to my Magic Band and I will see how it goes. I'll bookmark this thread and return to post my experience.

Thank you. I'm trying to figure out, even if it could be done, what is my better net outcome. Paying for it using Sam's club 5% off gift card or charging it to chase and getting 3X points. I guess sam's since 3000 points are worth $30. I would only be spending close to 800 for an AP so that would be 40 saved via sam's club and $24 via chase. I think I just answered my own question. :)

Yes, I've done this before.
But, there will probably be others that will tell you that it can't be done.

You're right. I'm here to say that I was not allowed to charge the cost to upgrade my ticket to my room via magic band. That was at the Guest Services inside Magic Kingdom at Town Hall. And it was only $30. I was specifically told that tickets cannot be charged to the room. I guess they have a risk of not being paid, and since you can use the tickets right away, they have to mitigate that risk. I'm curious when @SUSIEQ was allowed to. I believe my experience was in January of 2015.

I will be there on Thurs. and I will be renewing my AP (using a MYW ticket for the renewal, so it needs to be done at guest services or a ticket booth). I'll try to charge the balance to my Magic Band and I will see how it goes. I'll bookmark this thread and return to post my experience.
Okay, back to reality and here's my experience.

I tried to renew my AP at AK on Sunday. I wanted to apply the 5-day park hopper from my *free* dining package to the cost of renewal. The CM in AK's guest services was adamant that I could not do that because I was already getting a 15% discount by renewing. That made absolutely no sense since I had paid the full price for that ticket. Whatever. :rolleyes2 I declined to renew at that point and left. No sense in arguing.

The following day, I went to guest services at MK. I had an awesome CM ( :wave: Claire, you were super!). She was well-versed on how to do it and managed to get it all done in record time. I'm sorry to report that charging the upgrade to my room was not possible. This could have been because it was my check out day, but I doubt that since the amount totaled all of $61. I ended up paying with a GC that I had in my wallet.

So, my take-away from the experience is:
  • You should never attempt to do any kind of AP renewal or ticket upgrade at AK - do it when you're at the MK (ask for Claire :thumbsup2 ).
  • Know how much that upgrade/renewal should cost you before you go to guest services.
  • Have a GC/CC/cash on hand to complete the transaction.

Okay, back to reality and here's my experience.

I tried to renew my AP at AK on Sunday. I wanted to apply the 5-day park hopper from my *free* dining package to the cost of renewal. The CM in AK's guest services was adamant that I could not do that because I was already getting a 15% discount by renewing. That made absolutely no sense since I had paid the full price for that ticket. Whatever. :rolleyes2 I declined to renew at that point and left. No sense in arguing.

The following day, I went to guest services at MK. I had an awesome CM ( :wave: Claire, you were super!). She was well-versed on how to do it and managed to get it all done in record time. I'm sorry to report that charging the upgrade to my room was not possible. This could have been because it was my check out day, but I doubt that since the amount totaled all of $61. I ended up paying with a GC that I had in my wallet.

So, my take-away from the experience is:
  • You should never attempt to do any kind of AP renewal or ticket upgrade at AK - do it when you're at the MK (ask for Claire :thumbsup2 ).
  • Know how much that upgrade/renewal should cost you before you go to guest services.
  • Have a GC/CC/cash on hand to complete the transaction.

I second this! My parents renewed their APs at Animal Kingdom when the whole Magic Band thing had just started and they royally messed them up.:sad2: It took 3 phone calls and trips to GS to get it worked out! I wonder why AK !

Disney doesn't code as travel with Visa. It looks like it does for Amex and maaaaaaybe Discover, but not Chase Visa. It codes as Theme Park which isn't a travel category. So, while I applaud the inventiveness, it won't work.

Disney doesn't code as travel with Visa. It looks like it does for Amex and maaaaaaybe Discover, but not Chase Visa. It codes as Theme Park which isn't a travel category. So, while I applaud the inventiveness, it won't work.

I think you have to be clearer in your statement. A vacation package through Disney does code as travel with Chase. I can verify because I charged my Disney vacation to CSR, and received the $300 travel credit immediately.

I think what you are trying to say is Disney theme park tickets do not code as travel.

@Marionnette, any chance you charged anything else to CSR via MagicBand; wondering if it coded as travel? I'm pretty sure you used a stockpile of gcs, but thought it would be worth asking!

I think you have to be clearer in your statement. A vacation package through Disney does code as travel with Chase. I can verify because I charged my Disney vacation to CSR, and received the $300 travel credit immediately.

I think what you are trying to say is Disney theme park tickets do not code as travel.

No, I was trying to say that all charges at Disney code as Theme Park which falls under entertainment. Apparently, though, it looks like they have changed their coding and my information is outdated. Yay! I found this which confirms you wanting to charge things to magic bands and pay them off. It's point #3. I am VERY happy that I was wrong about this one.

http://frequentmiler.boardingarea.c...now-3-ways-to-earn-the-most-points-at-disney/

Did your package all code as travel, including tickets?

On October 8 of this year my sister upgraded her ticket and paid the charge to her Magic Band (if I can find my sheet of charges I will take a picture since I know the disboards loves proof - although I don't know if I ended up keeping the sheet of just her charges).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter