Can I cancel a reservation if it was made thru a travel agent?

kandb

DIS Veteran
I got a good deal at a deluxe for labor day weekend but if free dining comes out I want to book at a moderate with fd. I will be up at dawn to book the reservation. I do not want to ask a travel agent to do it when they have perhaps many others to do. I will book my own. Should I put it in my husbands name and then cancel with the travel agent or can I book in my name and then cancel the reservation with the Disney representative? Thanks for any help

Of course you can cancel, but realize that they do make a living on commissions? If they haven't done anything wrong except give you a great rate in advance of a Disney promotion, why not throw them a bone and let them make the booking? Or at the very least, transfer it to them after you make it? Seems to me like you have already decided to do business with them.....why not stay with them if they are willing to do the work for you?

I have no problem transferring it to them after I make it. I just don't want to put booking a FD reservation in their hands when they might be trying to get it for a lot of other people. I will get up and be booking first thing when it is released. I won't be able to wait hours that morning wondering if they got me in.

You'll have to cancel a TA reservation directly with the TA. Disney won't talk to you about it.

And honestly, if you don't want to use a TA anymore, that's your business. If you want to transfer it to them, great. But you should do what's best for you with the reservation. Guilting about commissions is a choice made in that profession - not a sale tactic.

I got a good deal at a deluxe for labor day weekend but if free dining comes out I want to book at a moderate with fd. I will be up at dawn to book the reservation. I do not want to ask a travel agent to do it when they have perhaps many others to do. I will book my own. Should I put it in my husbands name and then cancel with the travel agent or can I book in my name and then cancel the reservation with the Disney representative? Thanks for any help

As aaarcher86 stated, only the TA can cancel your reservation. If you REALLY don't want to use them, don't.

I also had a great deal at a deluxe over that weekend that I then had to change (didn't HAVE to, but wanted to hit MNSSHP).

I told my TA what I was planning and then asked her to cancel my original reservation (was really hard to do, the rate at Beach Club was only 200 more than it is going to cost us at AoA two weeks later :( ) and didn't have any issues doing so. I then asked her to rebook for a couple of weeks later, which was done with no issues.

I could have done so myself, but chose to go with the TA, not out of any sense of guilt over the commission but more because I enjoyed working with her on my trip. I wonder what I will do if FD is offered? :)

All that said, go with what you want.

I would like to give the TA the commission but if free dining opens, we want to change to a moderate and I will be up at the crack of dawn to try to get a moderate with FD. I do not feel comfortable advising the TA and then HOPING she gets what we want when FD opens up. I know these rooms sell out super fast and I know I am not the only customer of the TA and am not
going to risk missing out on FD. If I get a moderate with FD, I will cancel the deluxe with the TA and ask her if there is anyway to transfer my reservation to her agency.

If you book on your own, there is an option to hold the reservation without payment for 7 days. Book and hold the res without payment, then call your TA and see if he/she can just modify your existing res to the FD promo to duplicate what you have. If the TA can modify it (there are TA online modifications now if the Disney system doesn't crash) then your deposit is kept with the modified booking, no need to pay another deposit and wait to get the old one refunded. Once confirmed with your TA you can cancel the new res you made.

If your TA cannot get the resort or FD, then there is a form letter they can print out from the Disney Travel Agent "Training & Benefits" link and fax to Disney with your new reservation details and your signature to transfer your res to your TA. All transfers are subject to review by Disney before they are confirmed. You can put the deposit on the booking before you transfer it, since it takes a few business days for the res to transfer to the TA system. Transfer has to happen with 30 days of booking, and bookings that are fully paid cannot be transferred.

I only mention the procedure so you might avoid paying two deposits and waiting for a refund on the cancelled one.

And all of this is why I love just booking it myself! If you spend any time here and do some research, you know as much about what's going on as any TA, so there's really no advantage to getting your reservation caught up with a TA.

OP I am in the EXACT same situation as you. My plan is to book on my own, and offer to transfer to the agency when I contact them regarding the cancelation. Courtesy and guilt are not worth losing the resort or promotion you want.

Our dates are 8/30-9-6... Hoping for Riverside!

We have stayed numerous times at POR and being a family of 5, that was the only resort that was available at a moderate level. Now that CBR sleeps
5, we want to try it just to go someplace different. If we can get a moderate with free dining, it is a great deal for our family, since we have to pay adult prices for my 11 year old twins when we go to Ohana's, Garden Grill etc. We are going 8/27 thru 9/5.

Posted before I was done!

I would do it myself also, and if I felt I wanted to transfer it to my agent I would, but would not do so out of guilt of commission.

And all of this is why I love just booking it myself! If you spend any time here and do some research, you know as much about what's going on as any TA, so there's really no advantage to getting your reservation caught up with a TA.

Except for the fact that the "magical" deal many people are talking about on here will, undoubtedly, still beat any FD promo at the deluxe resort level.

Except for the fact that the "magical" deal many people are talking about on here will, undoubtedly, still beat any FD promo at the deluxe resort level.

But for a family of four staying at a moderate level, free dining will, undoubtedly, be the best deal by far! And that's exactly what the OP is planning to do.

I just priced out the fd deal at CBR. Now that you have to buy park hoppers, the deal for CBR is not really that great, when you compare the two, deluxe vs. moderate. It's coming out to $100 more a day for the moderate. I think we are going to stay at BC and not eat as much.:smooth:

FYI review your tems with your TA carefully cancelling could result in a penalty $ with some agencies, outside of what disneys cancel policy is.

but if you dont trust your TA to work for you i dont know why you would ever go to them in the first place

But for a family of four staying at a moderate level, free dining will, undoubtedly, be the best deal by far! And that's exactly what the OP is planning to do.

I just priced out the fd deal at CBR. Now that you have to buy park hoppers, the deal for CBR is not really that great, when you compare the two, deluxe vs. moderate. It's coming out to $100 more a day for the moderate. I think we are going to stay at BC and not eat as much.:smooth:

Hate to say I told you so, but . . . :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter