• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Can I buy DDP for my 18 month old - big eater!

JLS

Avs Fan / DVC Member
Hi -

I have an 18 month old son and we are going to WDW in May. My husband and I are getting the dining plan via our DVC membership. Can I also buy the dining plan for my son? He eats a lot and I could share with him but I don't like always having to order for myself what I think he will like. I would prefer just ordering him a child's meal when we go out.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I wouldnt. I think it would be cheaper to just buy him the kids meals OOP. He eats for free at the buffets and family style dining so I would book as many of those types of meals as possible for your TS meals.

I have read other posters being able to add their under 3's to the dining plan so I don't think it will be a problem.

Our DS will be 23 months when we go in July and I think we will not buy him the dining plan. I know we will do several character meals and he eats free at those anyway. I know at TS meals we will have enough options in appetizers and entrees between DH, DD and myself to feed him. However at some cs meals I am thinking we will buy him a kids meal only because he will probably want the cute Mickey tray like his sister!!!! We will just pay that out of pocket.

Remember that to order him the DP, you would also have to buy him a ticket. I think that just paying oop when he wants to order a kids meal will be much cheaper in the long run. As a pp pointed out, buffets and all-you-can-eats are free for him.

Enjoy!

Since the OP is a DVC member they do not have to add tickets to get the DP.

But I would not try to get the DP for your son. I would just try to eat at buffets as much as possible for your TS meals and then spend the 4-5$ on CS kids meals if you think he needs it.

You really get so much food on the plan that it can become painful :earboy2:

So, get ready to enjoy Chef Mickey's, Ohana's, Cape May Cafe, The Garden Grill, Liberty Tree Tavern etc, etc, etc!!!

I thought about doing this also, my ds will be 18 mts when we go, but in the long run it will cost less to buy him meals when he doesn't eat free. For us this is really working out, where we booked out trip, we're getting free Disney Dollars which will cover his food and a few other extras.

Our daughter will be 14 months on our upcoming trip and she eats like a horse; however, with the appetizers, entrees, and desserts ordered by everyone else in our party I have a feeling there will be plenty of food. I also plan on packing her staples as well and throwing items in the baby sac to take in the parks. I can't see her enjoying much at Le Cellier for example so I will bring her items with us that evening.

We are also DVC members so no ticket purchase would be necessary for us to get the dining plan for her but I just don't feel like its needed maybe later.

I actually called Disney to ask about this. DD will be 35 months during our trip. Even if your kid isn't a big eater...I think ANY kid could eat $11 worth of food a day at Disney prices! But, unless you want to pay the cost of a ticket, you can't just buy the DDP for them. So I'll be paying OOP for her meals!

Being a DVC member does throw a bit of a twist into the equation. You would not have to buy a ticket for your child, as a non-DVC member would. That is good!!!!
I didn't think that you Could buy the Dining Plan for a child younger than 3. But I now think I may be wrong.
I would think that paying OOP for a child the age of your child would be cheaper, but do the math. Look at the child's menus on allearsnet.com and see what the cost would be per day.
Good Luck.

I called MS for just the same reason! I asked during two different calls and spoke to three different people. I was told that I would be able to buy the dining plan for our 22 month old DD. The woman on the phone told me that she would have to make a note that she was under three but that I wanted to buy it anyway. She tried to tell me that my DD could eat for free off my plate, I told her that I did not plan on ordering grilled cheese for myself every meal! :sunny: With the price of the DP for kids and the cost of kids meals in disney it is a great deal for us!! BTW as other people have also said we do not have to buy a ticket for our DD.

We got the Dining Plan for our 2 yr. 2 mo. old DD in December. It was well worth it. I had already figured out where we were eating though and we didn't do ANY buffets, so she wasn't free at any of our meals (well her and I went with friends to Chef Mickey's one morning, but that wasnt' our family's meals).

Most CS kids meals are $3.99 and TS are $4.99. Add them, plus tax and tip PLUS each snack at around $2.50 and you are at that $11 with NO problem!!!!

memorymaker, I must be buying food in the wrong places, I thought kids meals where much more then 4.99!!! Maybe my prob is that DD is so pickey she only likes to eat whatever costs more!

JLS said:
Hi -

I have an 18 month old son and we are going to WDW in May. My husband and I are getting the dining plan via our DVC membership. Can I also buy the dining plan for my son? He eats a lot and I could share with him but I don't like always having to order for myself what I think he will like. I would prefer just ordering him a child's meal when we go out.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If you are doing a couple buffets or Character meals I wouldn't even consider buying him the DP. Not at 18 mths....if they were just shy of three I may consider it. Even table service meals the kids meals are not all that pricey and the adult portions are pretty decent, and I'm sure someone is ordering something he likes.... I think you're better off to just play it by ear. Vacation and heat can do funny things to kids and some kids while good eaters at home don't eat well at all on vacation. If you go for 7 days, that is $77 bucks to feed an 18 month old. :faint: I do have six kids, but that just seems too much to me for a child that young. If he gets sick or because of the heat doesn't feel up to eating a lot, that is money just wasted. My dd was 18 mths our last visit and when we did non buffet places, she was more than content eating the appetizers or stuff the other kids didn't finish or our mashed potatoes...etc. The dining plan is a lot of food.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter