Can I bring small carryon suitcase on ME?

We read. Where do you put your legs?
That's what I'm trying to figure out. I'm looking at my 22" rolling bag right now and there is simply no way I could fit it in front of me on the bus. There just isn't that much leg room.

We always bring our carryons onto ME. Backpacks, roller one (the standard carry on size), etc. I know my husband puts the backpacks up top. Honestly, I cannot remember where I put my stuff. I think most times, it is a pretty empty bus so I just put it on the seat next to me.

I know we rarely, if ever, use the under-the-bus storage..

And that whole hostage bus thing? They are not supposed to be doing that anymore.....Disney got a ton of complaints about that practice. Tipping is supposed to be voluntary...no one is forced to tip. I refuse to be held hostage to the tipping game as well...but, I'm not going to be uncomfortable or go out of my way to get my bag on the bus with me.

Can someone explain this? How do they force you to tip them... I am so confused.

Driver stops the bus, tells everyone to stay seated. Exits, closes door, removes all luggage from appropriate storage bin, lets customer off bus, distributes luggage. Doesn't stand with one hand out, but might as well.

I still tip, because I was going to anyway - because it's the right thing for me to do. No criticism for what nyone else does.

Driver stops the bus, tells everyone to stay seated. Exits, closes door, removes all luggage from appropriate storage bin, lets customer off bus, distributes luggage. Doesn't stand with one hand out, but might as well.

I still tip, because I was going to anyway - because it's the right thing for me to do. No criticism for what nyone else does.

I see. Does your tip change with the number of bags he handles for you? I've always been an awful judge at how much tips are supposed to be.

The thing that drove me nuts was if I had no bags to be unstowed. So I got to sit there, cooling my heels, while that driver took his sweet time getting bags out. Not to mention....I had the one driver who, at every single resort stop, got up, stood there and announced that 'any gratuities would be very gratefully received'...seriously? There is signage above his head that states that. Then to tell us all to remain seated until he empties the luggage hold? No, no tip from me. That went right back into my pocket!!! I refuse to tip if I'm told to give one.

The thing that drove me nuts was if I had no bags to be unstowed. So I got to sit there, cooling my heels, while that driver took his sweet time getting bags out. Not to mention....I had the one driver who, at every single resort stop, got up, stood there and announced that 'any gratuities would be very gratefully received'...seriously? There is signage above his head that states that. Then to tell us all to remain seated until he empties the luggage hold? No, no tip from me. That went right back into my pocket!!! I refuse to tip if I'm told to give one.

I am not going to lie, I almost feel bad for the driver. I wonder how many people actually ever tip. Maybe he's saying it because 9/10 times he doesn't receive one? :confused3

If you have seen him get tips from everyone without them saying anything, then I don't feel bad.

I'm a sucker for anything, so even if I go to the restaurant and the service is bad I'll still tip 20%.

I am not going to lie, I almost feel bad for the driver. I wonder how many people actually ever tip. Maybe he's saying it because 9/10 times he doesn't receive one? :confused3

If you have seen him get tips from everyone without them saying anything, then I don't feel bad.

I'm a sucker for anything, so even if I go to the restaurant and the service is bad I'll still tip 20%.
I hear you...but, a tip shouldn't be an automatic thing. If it is, and the service wasn't good, then that person getting tipped has no motivation to improve his service! So, by tipping automatically, you are okaying subpar service!
A driver who does nothing but drive the bus shouldn't expect a tip. But, if he does something to make your experience nicer, or stows your baggage, then sure, a tip is a nice thing....something that the vast majority of people do. On every DME bus, there is a sign at the front of the bus, above the windshield, that says gratuities are gratefully accepted. I really don't think the driver needs to say anything. It would be like an ice cream scooper at your neighborhood ice cream stand telling you that if you want to tip her, that would be great! I'm not even happy putting money in those tip jars they have out! But, I digress.

A big issue is that tipping is different in other parts of the world...some places just don't do tipping! So, when people travel here, they don't have any idea that they are expected to tip. Sure, it would be nice if they informed themselves as to local traditions. But, sadly, many don't. So those that would expect a tip, may not receive one.

For me? If I get on the DME bus, with no word at all from the driver, who is just standing next to the door, then nothing is said other than to name the resort that the bus is at, and then to alert passengers that gratuities are accepted? Nope, don't think so. This particular driver didn't even welcome guests to his bus...he never said a word, other than to ask for a tip. I had a $5 bill in my hand, ready to hand over, when getting off the bus, even though I had no stowed luggage. That $5 went right back into my pocket!!

I hear you...but, a tip shouldn't be an automatic thing. If it is, and the service wasn't good, then that person getting tipped has no motivation to improve his service! So, by tipping automatically, you are okaying subpar service!

I guess so! I just tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. If we don't tip them, then they are barely bringing anything home. Guilty conscience I guess.

I do feel awkward if they stand there watching me expecting a tip. I know this might sound dumb, but last August I used curbside check-in instead of going inside, and didn't tip the guy. In my defense it was my first time flying alone, and I had no idea what I was doing, but I felt bad afterwards cause he just stared at me after everything was all done. I later realized he was waiting for me to hand him money.

Do bus drivers and airport workers get paid less than minimum wage? Do they rely on tips for their income?

Also, sorry for completely derailing the topic of this thread.

Bus drivers get at least minimum wage, very possibly more. My understanding - based on a lawsuit in Boston a few years ago - is that airport skycaps make/made well under minimum and rely on tips.

I guess so! I just tend to give them the benefit of the doubt. If we don't tip them, then they are barely bringing anything home. Guilty conscience I guess.

I do feel awkward if they stand there watching me expecting a tip. I know this might sound dumb, but last August I used curbside check-in instead of going inside, and didn't tip the guy. In my defense it was my first time flying alone, and I had no idea what I was doing, but I felt bad afterwards cause he just stared at me after everything was all done. I later realized he was waiting for me to hand him money.

Do bus drivers and airport workers get paid less than minimum wage? Do they rely on tips for their income?

Also, sorry for completely derailing the topic of this thread.

Drivers make a decent wage. I remember using the Mears shuttle, from US/IoA, back to my WDW resort. Our driver was talking to another shuttle driver. He told the other driver that he had his test to become a DME driver coming up. He said he really wanted to make more money. Now, I can't say for sure how much more they make driving the DME buses vs Mears buses...they're all the same company, basically.
But they make at least minimum wage, probably more.

All curbside workers get tipped. As well as the RAC people at the resorts...it's curbside service, 25 miles from the airport!!!

Do I feel guilty not tipping? Nope, not me. I tend to be a heavy tipper. I know I mentioned that driver who said nothing on that one bus ride other than announce the resorts and ask for tips. I had a $5 bill in my hand, ready to hand him, even though I had no bags stowed. But, he not only did nothing to make my ride more pleasant, he made it unpleasant! So, it went back into my pocket!!! I am more than happy to tip for good service. At curbside checkin, I tend to just hand over a $5 for 2 bags...same at RAC. Bell Services takes my bags to transfer? At least $2 per bag, more if I have an Owners Locker to move! I'm not cheap...but I refuse to reward mediocre service with a tip...I don't care if they stand there with their hand out!

Always put all our bags under bus since I never have them sent directly to hotel. And have never felt like it was some sort of tipping game. I have never had an unpleasant driver and we go a few times a year. I always give the driver at least 2 or 3. Can't believe that people think that's a big deal. If I only had a carryon I'd still give him a buck. And all the buses I've been on in the last several years are full. I would think its very rude of someone to bring on a bag that's too large for overhead unless you don't mind legs hanging out into aisle. Getting the bags out from under never takes more than a couple minutes. Always cracks me up with the stuff people complain about.

As stated above I bring my 22 inch roller board on the bus. Please stop telling people they can't Or the bus driver won't allow it as that is not true I have done it many times.

On my April 21st arrival someone in front of me to get on the bus was going to bring their suitcase onto the bus and the driver told her it had to be stored underneath. It looked like a standard 22" suitcase with wheels. The bus was very full so that might have been why - he could've been concerned about fitting everyone on it and thought she would put it on the seat next to her instead of at her feet.

I just wanted to let you guys know what I personally witnessed. So you can try to bring it on the bus but you may encounter a driver who says no.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter