Can I Add a Day or 2 to AP?

PSUGuy

Bill From PA
Looks like our Oct 2017 and Oct 2018, avoiding Columbus Day week, will not be fully covered by a single AP. We plan on arriving Wed. Oct. 25 2017, thus activating the AP then, and our 2018 trip will go until Fri. Oct 26. First, will the AP end on the 24th or 25th in 2018 and can I add a day (or 2 if needed) to it?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

In our recent experience, the annual pass will expire for you on Oct 25th, 2018 at 11:59pm. You can add a day or two...if you want to buy a regular price 2 day ticket. :D We asked the same thing because our AP expired on July 3rd 2016 and we wanted to stay through July 4th.

I thought your AP is "activated" the day you buy it?? We have full intentions of getting a new AP next June, but aren't buying it now because that would make it active. Am I wrong?

I thought your AP is "activated" the day you buy it?? We have full intentions of getting a new AP next June, but aren't buying it now because that would make it active. Am I wrong?

If you buy it there at the parks then it's active that day.

But if you order it ahead of time you get a voucher, and that activates when you enter a park with it.

Bill, you can't add a day to your AP. It's either a ticket or renew the AP.

If you start your AP on the 25th you'll be able to enter a park on the 25th the following year. APs get 366 days of use in a normal year; 367 in a leap year. Pretty cool. So if you are truly not planning on renewing and don't want to pay that single day ticket, just plan a non-park day for that last day of your trip and you'll be fine.

I had to do a little digging to remember but what I did last year was I bought a 9 day hopper from UnderCover Tourist for each or us then I upgraded to an AP the first day we got there.

Bill From PA

Yeah, if we skip a day I'll probably make it day one. We usually land around 9 am at MCO and we're in WS by 11 for Food&Wine, being shut out of the parks on the last day would be too much of a bummer. Maybe we'll get 1 day non-hoppers just for Epcot and start the AP on the 26th.

Bill From PA

If you buy it there at the parks then it's active that day.

But if you order it ahead of time you get a voucher, and that activates when you enter a park with it.

Thanks. I sure wish WDW would offer a monthly payment option for non-Florida residents. I'm pretty much doing that on my own (putting money aside), but it would be nice if I could do it right through WDW. I still can't, right???

Thanks. I sure wish WDW would offer a monthly payment option for non-Florida residents. I'm pretty much doing that on my own (putting money aside), but it would be nice if I could do it right through WDW. I still can't, right???
Monthly Payment Plans are only available to FL Residents for WDW Passes and CA Residents for DLR Passes. By keeping it to just residents of states where a theme park exists, they only have to deal with the collection laws of those states if a passholder defaults on their payments.

Correct.

Universal manages to figure it out and all the rules and laws of collection; not sure why WDW can't work it out. But that is how it is for now.

I had to do a little digging to remember but what I did last year was I bought a 9 day hopper from UnderCover Tourist for each or us then I upgraded to an AP the first day we got there.

Bill From PA

So, if you buy a multi-day ticket and then upgrade to AP at the park, does your year start on the day of the upgrade or the first day you used your multi-day ticket? Because if the AP doesn't officially start until the day you upgrade it, that could be a solution to OP's situation.

So, if you buy a multi-day ticket and then upgrade to AP at the park, does your year start on the day of the upgrade or the first day you used your multi-day ticket? Because if the AP doesn't officially start until the day you upgrade it, that could be a solution to OP's situation.

The rules of "upgrading" make it as though the ticket to which you upgrade was the ticket that you originally started with.

So, your AP would be back-dated as though you had started using that AP on the first day that
you used the original ticket.
Otherwise, it would not be an "upgrade," but a brand new ticket... purchased at full price.

Monthly Payment Plans are only available to FL Residents for WDW Passes and CA Residents for DLR Passes. By keeping it to just residents of states where a theme park exists, they only have to deal with the collection laws of those states if a passholder defaults on their payments.

Correct.

Universal manages to figure it out and all the rules and laws of collection; not sure why WDW can't work it out. But that is how it is for now.

In other words Disney just doesn't want to offer this. It's probably not that hard.

In other words Disney just doesn't want to offer this. It's probably not that hard.

They'd sell more AP's if they had a payment plan. My wife and I would have them if the did and we live in GA. I imagine they've looked at it and realized they'd lose ticket revenue so they don't want to.

On the flip side, they'd get more hotel/food revenue from someone like me as I will only go once a year since I don't have an AP. I'd go at least three times a year if I did, even if just for long weekends here and there.

Maybe skip going to the parks on the arrival day. Activate it on Oct 26 and use it through Oct 26 of the next trip.
That's what I would do. Book dinner at Disney Springs or something for Oct 25 2017 and spend the rest of the day at the resort pool.

They'd sell more AP's if they had a payment plan. My wife and I would have them if the did and we live in GA. I imagine they've looked at it and realized they'd lose ticket revenue so they don't want to.

On the flip side, they'd get more hotel/food revenue from someone like me as I will only go once a year since I don't have an AP. I'd go at least three times a year if I did, even if just for long weekends here and there.
I think Disney knows they would sell a lot more AP's ....

Remember, they removed any child AP ticket discount because too many families were buying (1) child AP for a discounted room and merchandise on one trip. If there was a payment plan, I'm sure they figure a number of people would use all the discounts and stop paying after their trip.

I suppose a more safe scenario would be allowing monthly payments to AP renewals, only.

Looks like our Oct 2017 and Oct 2018, avoiding Columbus Day week, will not be fully covered by a single AP. We plan on arriving Wed. Oct. 25 2017, thus activating the AP then, and our 2018 trip will go until Fri. Oct 26. First, will the AP end on the 24th or 25th in 2018 and can I add a day (or 2 if needed) to it?

Thanks,
Bill From PA

Shoot... you're making your plans so early! Are you sure you have to go in October 2018 and not September 2018? Sounds like you can save hundreds if you just moved your 2018 trip a little earlier.

I totally agree they'd sell more. But if you really want to save on an AP, I would buy the most discounted ticket from a third-party reseller such as ParkSavers, and then upgrade to an AP using "price bridging". The amount you save by doing that far exceeds the meager savings account interest you could've earned on that money using a payment plan.

(I'm comparing it to a savings account interest, and not credit card interest... because anyone who needs to go into debt to buy an AP probably shouldn't buy one, even with a payment plan.)

Last edited:
We recently purchased the Parksavers tickets. Our AP expire end of October. Can we use these tickets to upgrade to AP within the 60 day renewal period and still get the AP renewal discount? We will be going in Sept/Oct for 2 weeks and then taking another trip to Orlando for a week in November (which was not going to be a Disney trip.) I'm not sure if we should renew during the 60 days or just wait until next spring.

We recently purchased the Parksavers tickets. Our AP expire end of October.
1. Can we use these tickets to upgrade to AP within the 60 day renewal period and still get the AP renewal discount? We will be going in Sept/Oct for 2 weeks and then taking another trip to Orlando for a week in November (which was not going to be a Disney trip.)
2. I'm not sure if we should renew during the 60 days or just wait until next spring.
1. Yes.
2. You can do it either way, using third-party discounted tickets to help pay for the renewal or new AP. You must decide which is the better time to get the AP based on planned and future trips.

Shoot... you're making your plans so early! Are you sure you have to go in October 2018 and not September 2018? Sounds like you can save hundreds if you just moved your 2018 trip a little earlier.

We're a little constricted by my university's academic schedule, Sept. and most of Nov. are pretty hectic so Oct. is our best bet, plus the weather and crowds are fine as long as we avoid Columbus Day weekend and the days following. I've already got my calendar for 2017 and 2016 started in Word, planning is half the fun.

Bill From PA

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter