Can doctor disembark you at Castaway Cay?

ScubaMama

Mouseketeer
I know the doctor can disembark you at the next port for medical problems. Is Castaway Cay one of the ports where they can leave you?
My baby sounds congested from a cold and from previous experience, I know with babies it can become wheezing, RSV or an ear infection. On our way to the port now. I just want to have worst case scenario in mind. I know they have nebulizer and albuterol on the ship if his breathing were to become worse.

Since the only scheduled transportation out of CC ais Disney Cruise ships and the ferry for island employees who live on neighboring islands, highly doubtful. Most likely scenario is they would quarantine you to your stateroom.

I a passenger is urgently ill enough to need outside care, the ship's medical staff can arrange for that at any port or even at sea (airlift). That said, there are no services on Castaway Cay other than DCL -- it is not a "regular" port, no immediate access to hospital, medical, pharmacy, hotels, shops. So to leave CC one would need to be airlifted. It may be preferrable to do so from CC (there is a small runway) rather than directly off the ship at-sea, but that would be the doctor's call as to whether the patient could wait until arrival at CC.

I hope your baby recovers from his cold without further complications! (Been there, done that, glad I wasn't on a cruise at the time). Good luck!

They will not leave you at CC since there are no facilities there. If the emergency was that extreme, they would most likely send a boat from Freeport to meet the ship (this is what happened on our sea day on the Dream). We just sailed close to Freeport and they sent a boat out to meet the ship and pick up the passengers that needed medical assistance.

Thank you all so much for your quick reply! I'm glad that being left at Castaway Cay is an unlikely scenario. It brings down the stress a little bit. We booked a month ago so the baby doesn't have a passport and it's only three days. Since they have albuterol, worst case would be dehydration since he's not eating at much as usual. Quarantining wouldn't matter to me if the baby got worse but I would also be surprised. If he did have RSV, that is contagious but adults and kids have RSV constantly and think it's just a bad cold. Babies get it and have a rough time breathing. I hope he gets better soon. He's had a cold for a week but he just started seriously teething yesterday. It's the first time he's barely nursing. My first would also get congested when he's teething. Best case scenario, he's super congested from teething and the cold that he's almost over. Teething pain subsides very soon and he's back to nursing! Thank you again! :-)

Thank you all so much for your quick reply! I'm glad that being left at Castaway Cay is an unlikely scenario. It brings down the stress a little bit. We booked a month ago so the baby doesn't have a passport and it's only three days. Since they have albuterol, worst case would be dehydration since he's not eating at much as usual. Quarantining wouldn't matter to me if the baby got worse but I would also be surprised. If he did have RSV, that is contagious but adults and kids have RSV constantly and think it's just a bad cold. Babies get it and have a rough time breathing. I hope he gets better soon. He's had a cold for a week but he just started seriously teething yesterday. It's the first time he's barely nursing. My first would also get congested when he's teething. Best case scenario, he's super congested from teething and the cold that he's almost over. Teething pain subsides very soon and he's back to nursing! Thank you again! :-)

Best of luck and I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!!!

What about the medical questionaire? If a CM noticed the baby was sick, could they be prohibited from boarding?

What about the medical questionaire? If a CM noticed the baby was sick, could they be prohibited from boarding?

The questionnaire doesn't ask about wheezing, etc.:

Although it does ask about runny noses IN ADDITION TO fever.

I think there could be an issue if the OP wants to leave her child in the nursery, however.

Can you get him checked out by your pediatrician before you leave? They can confirm if it is RSV if you are worried. Our 9 month old came down with a bad cold and a case of croup on our cruise. We had a very sleepless night letting her try to soothe her airways on the balcony with the humid air. It was miserable. They gave her a breathing treatment and steroids when the medical office opened. They were extremely nice though. We didn't get quarantined or anything. As far as filling out the health questionnaire I don't think they are going to notice your kid is sick, unless he looks ridiculously ill. There's a lot of tired, cranky looking kids exhausted from traveling on boarding day.

We met the ships nurse one day at the pirate bar is Nassau he was off. As a nurse always seemed to be attracted to others. This was some years ago I think 2007. Well he was telling us the importance of filling out the form. He said the cruisel before the family of a sick toddler did not fill it out correctly the child was pretty sick and the child had to be evacuated via emergency helicopter from CC. On the other spectrum he has been asked to see patients prior to boarding and denied them boarding as well. Just something to think of.

If you have to go to the medical center on board, the cost will be added to your stateroom account and must be paid prior to disembarkation. My DD was there for an hour getting an IV of saline which cost us $1078. We had to submit to insurance once we returned home for reimbursement. Just make sure you have enough credit to pay for the services on board in case you need them.

We're home and the cruise was so much fun! I don't know why we had never done it before. As for my little one, it was thankfully not a virus that invaded after he got over his cold. It was just teething. By 10 pm that first night of the cruise (Friday), the pain subsided, he stopped trying to gnaw on everything and started nursing instead. His congestion also cleared up enough that night that his slight wheezing was gone. Baby was able to join me for the Saturday and Sunday shows and he was enthralled.

The $1,000+ cost for an IV is frightful since we have a high - deductible insurance plan.
After seeing Castaway Cay, I wouldn't mind being stranded either!

We're home and the cruise was so much fun! I don't know why we had never done it before. As for my little one, it was thankfully not a virus that invaded after he got over his cold. It was just teething. By 10 pm that first night of the cruise (Friday), the pain subsided, he stopped trying to gnaw on everything and started nursing instead. His congestion also cleared up enough that night that his slight wheezing was gone. Baby was able to join me for the Saturday and Sunday shows and he was enthralled.

The $1,000+ cost for an IV is frightful since we have a high - deductible insurance plan.
After seeing Castaway Cay, I wouldn't mind being stranded either!

Wonderful!!! I'm so glad that everything turned out OK and you had a great cruise!

FYI: generally speaking, your high deductible health insurance plan would NOT cover anything medically on the ship. It would be considered "foreign/overseas" and would not be covered. All the more reason why trip insurance is such a good deal, especially with kids!! (I've learned this from personal experience... by the way!:) Glad it all worked out!

FYI: generally speaking, your high deductible health insurance plan would NOT cover anything medically on the ship. It would be considered "foreign/overseas" and would not be covered. All the more reason why trip insurance is such a good deal, especially with kids!! (I've learned this from personal experience... by the way!:) Glad it all worked out!

Thanks for looking out for me. I also have a toddler and it's the first time we've left the country with them. I had also come to the conclusion during the trip that it's not worth the risk of traveling without insurance when kids can get sick so easily. Our insurance would've covered medical costs at sea or at the Bahamas (our only port) though. I checked. It's a good plan from a large national employer. It's just that the deductible for a family is $3,200. (Luckily premiums are low and the max out - of - pocket is $6,500.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter