• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can Disney Save A Marriage? *Page 12/15 new posts

"Some people say that my love for Disney is a little bit crazy. I used to get uptight and annoyed with the nay Sayers and non Disney lovers. I used to have to feel the need to prove my sanity and how I could not help loving all things Disney.

Now, months after that trip, I don’t have to prove myself to them or anyone else. In fact that is the reason I write this."

Ah, that answers my questions!

Hey guys! New update is going to be ready in the morning. Again, thanks to the people who are reading and even those who care enough to de-lurk. It is such a gift each time I log on.

As for the guide comment and question of it was a live person - the answer is no. It was the audio guide like on Spaceship Earth that tells you what you are seeing and what to do in case of an emergency, like the ride halting, since to Mrs. Roper it was an emergency! :lmao:

Guide was just easier to type than “audio electronic narrator explaining the obvious” or “electronic stewardess.” :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

According to Farlex online dictionary, one meaning of guide is:

a. Something, such as a pamphlet, that offers basic information or instruction

So I am not changing "guide" in the TR. In fact I went back to see what else I could word it. Maybe I am old school but seriously, what do you call the darn computers taking jobs from Disney CM's? Pretty soon they won't use them on the Jungle Cruise and Kilimanjaro! Should we cast the voices for those computerized versions? Like our worst nightmares for them? I vote Dr. Phil would put everyone to sleep on a safari and George W Bush would be a nice twist spotting the python!

It is obviously way past my bedtime. I need sleep! :teacher::surfweb: :upsidedow

I assumed you meant the "voice over the speakers" not a real-life guide. Some people, though, hear hoofbeats and immediately assume "zebras!" (especially when zebras are what they expect to see). Whatcha gonna do? :confused3

Please keep writing, there are many people here who enjoy your writing and look forward to more and hopefully that's what counts. Unfortunately, there will always be zebra-hunters :sad2:

With baited breath, we wait

for your words to flow
and let us know

that all in your world
is great.

ok it sucks....it is 1:40 in the am :lmao:
looking forward to your next post
popcorn::

I am joining in after finding your report yesterday. The title intrigued me so much I had to see what it was about. Thank you for sharing your story. I believe marriage is work and not rosie all the time. And this is one of the examples. I can't wait for the next installment!

I understand the need to read this with scrutiny from some. Myself, I have never bothered to care if a TR was down to the letter accurate or not. I assume people write based on what they remember and so if anyone here needs this to be a Time or Newsweek article, you may as well move on. I am not a journalist or investigative reporter. I did not write a journal when we went and even if I had, I doubt whether the guide was a live voice or automated would have been a big enough detail to write down.

It is possible the "guide" was a live person. My memory was it was automated but maybe I am wrong. I have been wrong before and it will happen again. I did not have a watch either so it may have been a 10 minute wait or maybe 17. I guessed my best. I have no way of reliving every moment of this trip to ever say with 100% accuracy that it happened exactly the way I write my memories of it. My response to the original question was just an effort to be funny. To not take this TR so serious that each noun or verb is held under scrutiny.

I also did not get pregnant, nor am I, so no baby from WDW as a souvenir.

I guess all I can do is write the best I can from what I remember and hopefully most of you will forgive the flaws in that.

I, for one, am completely enjoying this trip report. If it is indeed, fiction, then the writer needs to write a romance chapter and submit it or find an agent.

My not-ever-humble opinion is, if you are looking for facts and don't think this report is factual, find another trip report to read.

As soon as we were free from the clutches of Mrs. Roper, I was in search of a drinking fountain and hope that I could loose the hiccups. I drank and stood up, waiting to see if indeed, they were gone and alas, they seemed to be happy to stay. We decided to go grab something to eat and a bottle of water to see if that did not do the trick. The food court in Sunshine Seasons, is definitely one of the best places at Epcot to get a variety of options and not food that tastes like it has been revived via a defibrillator.

We enjoyed splitting a sandwich and a piece of delicious strawberry shortcake. I am usually not a fan of the shortcake that utilizes strawberry glaze because I feel it gets too chemical tasting for my preference but this was not too bad. I think the food portions were plenty for two and as we ate and noticed others sharing food as well. We had dinner reservations that night at Chefs de France, so neither of us wanted to be full for our early dinner reservations.

The hiccups were gone by the time we threw our trash away and I was relieved eating and drinking had worked. We decided to head over to the Seas and try and catch a “Turtle Talk” show. It is one of those non canned Disney pieces of absolute joy that makes Crush so great. The scenarios are the same but the interaction with the audience, means each presentation is a bit unique. The children shouting out, “bra,” never gets old and seeing those arms shoot up in the air with anticipation of actually getting to talk with a beloved character, is about as cute as it gets.

Sometimes I wonder who is luckier. The kids believing they are enmeshed into Crush’s world, or the adults wanting to believe it for them. It may not be a thrill ride or a roller coaster with loops and inverts but it is exactly for me, why I love Disney. They capture the drive in all of us to believe we matter to something out of the ordinary. To each be a piece of individuality that counts and without, would not make Disney the same. Every time you meet Mickey, you feel like he is so excited to see you. That all the other fans he has hugged for 20 minutes before meant nothing and you are all that counts. For those precious few minutes where pictures are snapped and autograph books are signed, you mean something to someone special and it gets me every time.

Grandparents often have that gift. The ability to acknowledge individuality and have special moments with each grandchild even when there are 10 in the room. To take a Christmas or Thanksgiving day and make memories unique to each of them alone. I remember growing up thinking I was the favorite. That they loved everyone but maybe me just a bit more. It was fully my belief at the end of the day, I was a rung higher on the ladder of love. I was extra special.

It is silly to recount that now as an adult but when my grandmother died, I found out I was not alone. Every person in her life felt they were special too. I was old enough not to be bitter of my ego crumbling to the ground. I was old enough to realize how lucky I was to have known someone as long as I had that was able to do that. She was my Mickey before I understood what was so special about him. She did naturally what Disney has been able to market and sell. The reason Disney in my heart will never be duplicated or replaced by any other theme park or group of characters. Disney truly gets that people want to feel like they make a difference.

Even if it is just for 30 seconds asking Crush a question and feeling like you and he are the only ones in the room.

No different than what I had wanted from my marriage and lately had failed at giving in return.

I may have been the only one tearing up that afternoon in a small room with a turtle as its star but I was having my moment with Disney essence and it was one of the best memories of that trip I still hold onto. Sometimes the meanings of the magic are in the understated moments your heart brings you back to.

Grandparents often have that gift. The ability to acknowledge individuality and have special moments with each grandchild even when there are 10 in the room. To take a Christmas or Thanksgiving day and make memories unique to each of them alone. I remember growing up thinking I was the favorite. That they loved everyone but maybe me just a bit more. It was fully my belief at the end of the day, I was a rung higher on the ladder of love. I was extra special.

My daughter had a teacher with this gift - what a great experience that was! They still stay in touch (DD is 26) to this day!

You are so right...it may be the parents that get just as excited for our children. For two years my middle son would have given anything to be the one chosen to speak to Crush, both years he was not picked, yet his sister was. This last year, our third trip, and possibly approaching the age where he may not "believe" the same as before, he waited with his arm held high again. We were seated on the very back row so we could not see who they were picking to speak to Crush. The first child picked, my youngest. My heart broke just a little for my middle DS. Then with one last child to be picked, I heard his voice...yep, I may have been the only one with tears that day! Seems silly, I guess, but to him it really meant something and so it meant the world to me!

Just read your page 12 update. I got a big laugh our of Mrs Roper. I personally think some people have great anxiety over being stuck on a ride and she certainly demonstrates that. We know who would be first to get kicked off that life boat, don't we?

Be back later to read more!

I'm not out to make DIS enemies, but I'm big on honesty and not misleading the people who use these TRs for trip planning. I want to comment on your post.

I've been stuck on LWTL twice this year, and both times a live CM came over the speaker to tell us to remain seated. Two different visits and both times the CMs came off as annoyed at the ride messing up, not calm and reassuring either. I left that out when responding about the guide simply to see how you would explain this. I figured you'd say automated voice. I'm sure someone will come to your rescue in a post or two to say they've experienced something else, but I don't buy any of it. This didn't happen, did it?

I am going to guess you've been "away" because you got pregnant on the WDW trip and are now living happily ever after with Derrick and your Disney souvenir. It would make a cute ending to the story, right?

I'm going to report your posts. This isn't a debate board and I'm pretty sure if you don't have anything nice to say, you should leave. Go find someone else on some other board to badger.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter