Can DH join us on the ship later?

gaucho2000

Mouseketeer
We are renting a car from WDW to port. Last time DH dropped us off at port then went to return the rental. It took him so long to return it and catch the shuttle back that we missed our boarding group waiting for him. This time he suggested that we just board when he drops us off and he will join us after he catches the shuttle back. Does everyone in the stateroom have to check in/board together or will this work?

We are renting a car from WDW to port. Last time DH dropped us off at port then went to return the rental. It took him so long to return it and catch the shuttle back that we missed our boarding group waiting for him. This time he suggested that we just board when he drops us off and he will join us after he catches the shuttle back. Does everyone in the stateroom have to check in/board together or will this work?
Generally, you can check in/board separately. But, there have been reports where the check in CM required all parties to be present for check in. No way to know for sure.

I can tell you in my case that my family checked in while I dropped on the rental car. Then I just had to get in line to get my picture taken for the check-in. Everything else had already been done by my wife. In my case, dropping off the car didn't take long, so they hadn't actually boarded the ship yet, but they had gone through the check-in.

if you are using Alamo, National or Enterprise, the rental place is VERY close to the port. Probably just a short wait for him to get back to the ship / terminal.

Drop you, kids and luggage off - BUT HE NEEDS to keep his ID - Drivers License at a minimum (well duh- he's driving) and a copy of your Port Arrival form (reservation number - just in case)
Return the car to the rental location
Hop the shuttle back to the port.
Board the ship with the family.

If you have an early PAT I would recommend taking a taxi or Uber from the rental place back to the port. The shuttle won't run until after 10 am (last time I did this) and there's usually a line of people waiting (depending on how many ships are in port that day).

If you have an early PAT I would recommend taking a taxi or Uber from the rental place back to the port. The shuttle won't run until after 10 am (last time I did this) and there's usually a line of people waiting (depending on how many ships are in port that day).
Well the port doesn't open until 10:15-10:30 at any rate. And it's much easier for a single person without luggage to get on a shuttle than a whole group (who went together to return the car) with their bags.

Well the port doesn't open until 10:15-10:30 at any rate. And it's much easier for a single person without luggage to get on a shuttle than a whole group (who went together to return the car) with their bags.

Port is open earlier than that, I got in line to get in the terminal at 9:30 on my last cruise. Yes it's easier for a single person, doesn't mean that there aren't a couple of shuttles worth of people in front of you waiting to get there.

My personal experience (at Avis) was calling a taxi was the only way I was able to catch up with my family as they boarded the ship at 11:30.

YMMV

Port is open earlier than that, I got in line to get in the terminal at 9:30 on my last cruise. Yes it's easier for a single person, doesn't mean that there aren't a couple of shuttles worth of people in front of you waiting to get there.

My personal experience (at Avis) was calling a taxi was the only way I was able to catch up with my family as they boarded the ship at 11:30.

YMMV
When was your last cruise? Was it a Disney cruise? If they've started opening the port earlier than 10:15, that's something new.

It is my understanding from reading on here that car services and shuttles are not allowed into the port prior to 10 any longer. So I would not count on being in line at 9:30.

We've been on two cruises in the last year and both times were allowed in just past 9:30. We drove both times though.

In March we were able to board separate from my husband. He actually arrived at MCO,took the Disney bus to the port, boarded and was pool side all before the children and I even boarded Disney transport at CR.

We are renting a car from WDW to port. Last time DH dropped us off at port then went to return the rental. It took him so long to return it and catch the shuttle back that we missed our boarding group waiting for him.
IMHO, this is why you don't do what you did. If you stay together you won't get separated. Don't double the hill?

My experience a single rider without luggage can get on easier at the rental locations but if one just stands there queued behind entire families and their luggage, you will wait a long while. If there is someone coordinating the shuttle rides (have seen vary by agency) just let them know you are a single rider without any luggage and you will likely not wait long. The one time I was later returning, all others were at the counter being checked in and I just walked up and joined them as they finished their check-in, so for us they were checking those there without me. An important reminder when dropping off people make sure they have all their cruise documents and id so they can get into the terminal and check-in BUT make sure you as well keep with yourself your documents and id. Nothing like passing onto the significant other everything in the vehicle when dropping them off only to find out you do not even have your wallet with you when getting back to the terminal.

There is a chaotic hour (10-11 AM but seems to be moving earlier as the terminal opens earlier) when the ability of the terminal to absorb the numbers being dropped-off and trying to get into the terminal far exceeds the capacity of the porters, the two check-in points and the roads with the number of vehicles/people trying to drop-off. You will wait to get in line to drop-off/be dropped-off, you will wait in line to have your documents checks at the gates, there will be a line for security and even inside the terminal there will be line-ups to check-in. If renting and dropping-off a vehicle, I'd always avoid that hour and get there earlier or later than that one hour window.

If traffic, bio-break or other delay slow us down and we do arrive in the thick of the busiest times, one just has to relax and remember the stress of an additional 30 minutes in arriving due to the crush of all arriving for the same purpose will still have all there on-board within the same hour once boarding starts. Personally we try for as early a PAT as possible to enjoy the terminal, get any character pics taken in terminal without too long a line, get the youngest checked in to the kids clubs (get his band) without too long a line (normally none at the start) and people watch as as the terminal fills up with everyone anticipating the same cruise.

Our most recent cruise:
DW, DD (adult), DGS (child), and myself all boarded at one time.
DSonnL came in after work and met us on the ship.

We waited in line in the parking garage at 9:30 but the terminal didn't open until 10, this was last month.
So, the port (not the terminal) opened at..........? for parking.

In the recent past the port wasn't opening until 10:15 or so for parking with the terminal opening at 10:30

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter