Can anyone tell me about vacationing in Maine?

TwoOwls

Mouseketeer
We are thinking about going in summer but we haven't a clue where to start. We are open to staying in a cabin to just camping on the beach.

Well, I'm a Mainer. Some of my favorite places to visit are Acadia National Park in the Bar Harbor area, Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor, and the mountains and lakes. I'm not a big beach person, so I can't help you there.

I'm a Mainer too :) I live on Mount Desert Island, which is where Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park is. It's very beautiful here! I'd be happy to answer any questions about this area.

I lived in Southern Maine for 3 years, we just relocated to Florida this summer. We also vacationed there while I was growing up. My folks always rented a house on Moody Beach. The areas I like are from York up to Kennebunk. They are nice quaint beach towns, very relaxing. Then if you want to shop they're some great outlets in Kittery, and Old Town in Port land is less than an hour away. If your flying, you can flying into Boston or Manchester, NH. What are you looking to do?

We vacation in Maine each summer. We rent a house in Ocean Park which is near Old Orchard and Saco. Ocean Park is a GREAT small, very family oriented beach town. We absolutely love it and there are cottages in all different price ranges that you can rent for the week.

Allyson :)

I'm a Mainer too :) I live on Mount Desert Island, which is where Bar Harbor & Acadia National Park is. It's very beautiful here! I'd be happy to answer any questions about this area.

We have a place in SWH and a camp on Long Pond! Where on the island are you? I spent the whole summers up there growing up, and still go every summer, and hope to make a move permanently. We love it there. My family has been there for generations, in fact, my great grandfather built most homes up there and my grammy was born in the first house in SWH! My sister just moved up to Trenton this past April. Wish we could do the same - someday though.

I'm a Mainah too! I live in the mid-coast region Damariscotta, Pemaquid, Boothbay. In the summertime I love to be at our camp on the lake. I would say that would be an ideal vaction. You can swim, boat, etc. Of course a trip to the beach is a necessity! There is a reason they call it "vactionland".

I would be happy to answer any questions you have. I know lots of places to stay and excursions to take!

I went to maine last summer with my girlfriends for 9 days. No kids. It was wonderful. We stayed in a great B&B in Camden. My favorite place to go was Pemaquid Point. It is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We went 3 or 4 times, just sat on the rocks and watched the ocean come in on the rocks. Wow is it amazing to see. I can't do it justice with words. PM me and I will send you a photo. The outlets were fun. Taking a boat out was fun too. Hiking to the top of the mini-mountain (I forget the name) in Camden was great. Camden is a beautiful little town. We ate in some great restaurtants that were not expensive. I can dig up the names if you would like. They aren't fancy, the kind of places the locals eat, just great food.

I want to go back with hubby!

I live in the Sebago Lake region of Maine. Here is a link to a local real estate company that rents homes on the lake in the summer. www.chalmers-realty.com We feel like we are always on vacation in the summer because we live in a wonderful place and we go to the lake every day, but we also rent a vacation home in Old Orchard Beach every summer. One of the previous posters mentioned renting a home in Ocean Park. The place we rent is 1/4 mile from there. Ocean Park is a very nice area. We rent our home through www.seashorepropertymanagement.com. We also like the Ogunquit/Wells beach area but it is a little out of our price range. It is beautiful area though. Good luck.

Looks like there are plenty of us Maine-ahs ;) on here to help you plan a great trip! I live in Ellsworth and work on Mt. Desert Island (hi Mrs4dtough!!). Ask away! :goodvibes

Ok, another Mainer here. I live in Southern Maine. If you want to camp by the ocean, I highly suggest Hermit Island. It is absolutely beautiful! I live in the Cape Elizabeth/South Portland/Scarborough area...lots of beaches, but there are also lots of great lakes, some not as busy as others. Personally, I am not a fan of Old Orchard, but I know a lot of people do love it. Its way too touristy for me. I love the Old Port. I went to Bar Harbor for the first time this year and loved it! any questions, ask away!

Another vote for Acadia National Park area and Bar Harbor.
We visit several times a year. My SIL is on Tunk Lake in Sullivan.
You can camp, B&B's or rent a cottage. Plenty to do around there for families. Do some google searches for Acadia National PArk and surrounding areas.
cmrules is right. Camden is very beautiful as well.

We vacation in Maine each summer. We rent a house in Ocean Park which is near Old Orchard and Saco. Ocean Park is a GREAT small, very family oriented beach town. We absolutely love it and there are cottages in all different price ranges that you can rent for the week.

Allyson :)

I grew up vacationing here every summer and have been thinking about bringing my family here soon! We used to stay in a cottage called the "Sandbox" right on the beach. I can remember playing shuffleboard, dressing up for their 4th of July Parade, and going to the $1. movies.:goodvibes We've traditionally stayed in York or Ogunquit since I've had children (we have family in York...Fox's Lobster House & Brown's Ice Cream...), so I haven't brought them there yet.

Allyson, would you possibly PM me with info on who you rent from in Ocean Park? Thanks!

My dad grew up in Bath so I spent most of my summers as a kid in Maine visitng grandparents. Last summer we took our family to Maine. We camped in Boothbay Harbor. We had a great time exploring all of the places I used to go: Reid State Park, Bar Harbor and Acadia, Boothbay (my favorite place - DH and I honeymooned there 14 years ago this dec.!), Freeport (great shopping), Cundy's Harbor (my dad's HS friend is a lobsterman here and we get great deals on dinner). The kids had a great time and it was a very relaxing vacation.

I can't imagine not enjoying a vacation there!

I just got back this evening from Thanksgiving in Maine!

We stayed in a log cabin on Prong Pond in the MooseHead Lake region in Greenville, Maine. It was beautiful!

Let me know if you want more info!

If you love camping, my husband swears by Hermit Island. He has wonderful memories and went there every summer for a week or two. Although I'm not a camper (just seems like too much work to me) my husband has been lobbying hard for years. My DD8 wants to try it, so who knows.

Anyway, we do go to Maine most summers, and visit various places from York to Ogunquit to Kennebunck to Freeport. This summer wer went to Damariscotta, Pemaquid, and Boothbay. We also stayed at Freeport and used it as a jumping off spot for many day trips, and went shopping at LL Bean at night. Some of the best days we've spent were at Popham beach which is a state park, I believe. It never seems to get crowded. Huge expanse of a beach, rocks to climb on to get a great view. When the tide is out it makes great tidal pools and so forth, and when the tide comes in it really is quite a sight to as it fills in around the rocky outcropping. Some of God's best work!

:thumbsup2 We went up one summer (before our kids came along) and had a wonderful time!!

We stayed in Kenenbunkport, near the beach. We had lobster every single night... we found a place that would sell steamed lobster for next to nothing and pack them up to go. We got some pictures (two are now framed in our house) of lighthouses at dusk. We hit the outlets. We got up early each day and took our dog for a run on the beach.

It was a terrificl vacation

I live in the mountains in Maine, about a two hour drive to the coast. You can rent some nice cabins on one of the multitude of lakes up here if you want to take that route. It's a beautiful area.

We have a place in SWH and a camp on Long Pond! Where on the island are you? I spent the whole summers up there growing up, and still go every summer, and hope to make a move permanently. We love it there. My family has been there for generations, in fact, my great grandfather built most homes up there and my grammy was born in the first house in SWH! My sister just moved up to Trenton this past April. Wish we could do the same - someday though.

I live in Pretty Marsh, very close to long pond :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter