• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can anyone tell me about anti-anxiety medication?

Rora

<font color=darkorchid>I'm the needy, sexy Unicorn
For as long as I can remember, I've been a chronic worrier-I don't have fun anymore. It's come to the point that it is affecting my relationship with my fiance and I'm tired of living like this.

I have seen a psychologist who provided helpful ways to deal with anixety/worrying without using medication but I don't think I have the control anymore to do those exercises she talked about.

Obviously, I would go talk to my DRs before asking to be put on anti-anxiety medication and do my online research but right now I'd like to hear any first hand experiences with anti-anxiety medications- how it makes you feel, if it works, any bad side effects, what you're on, etc. If you feel the info is too personal to post here, please send me a PM.

Thanks DISers. :grouphug:

I can relate to your post as I am a chronic worrier too and actually get short of breath sometimes thinking about stupid stuff. It has affected my health (chest pains, etc.). Its definitely some kind of weird imbalance. My brain is constantly spinning with thoughts. To be honest with you, I am not a believer in medication unless you cannot go to work or function in a normal relationship. Is that the case? I'm a huge believer in meditation (not medication) ie: focus on your breathing and only on the present moment. The brain has to be trained to do this. I believe in working out (with and without weights) and I believe in embracing spirituality. So that is my RX for chronic anxiety (unless of course you cannot live a normal life in which case you need to see a doctor about medication). Hope that helped.

First off - :hug:. I am a worrier, too. So much so that I can't sleep at time and it can give me mild panic attacks. I worry about stupid stuff. Stuff I have no control over. It gets really ridiculous at times, but I cannot help. Definitely some sort of imbalance. I am not on medication anymore, but I was on xanax for about 2 years. It seemed to do the trick, but it can become addicting. I have been off of that medication since I got pregnant with my DD, who is now 2. But I am sure there are other meds, too. You just need to talk to your Dr. and discuss what would be best for you.

I can relate to your post as I am a chronic worrier too and actually get short of breath sometimes thinking about stupid stuff. It has affected my health (chest pains, etc.). Its definitely some kind of weird imbalance. My brain is constantly spinning with thoughts. To be honest with you, I am not a believer in medication unless you cannot go to work or function in a normal relationship. Is that the case? I'm a huge believer in meditation (not medication) ie: focus on your breathing and only on the present moment. The brain has to be trained to do this. I believe in working out (with and without weights) and I believe in embracing spirituality. So that is my RX for chronic anxiety (unless of course you cannot live a normal life in which case you need to see a doctor about medication). Hope that helped.
Thanks for your post. I am not a believer in medication either (too many of my friends are on anti-depressants/anxiety and are just like zombies) but I just don't know HOW to train my brain to do that. I feel like I don't have the time to work out and don't know how I would begin to meditate, especially during the day when I have to teach my students (elementary school teacher..). Any thoughts/ideas?

I still haven't ruled out medication just because as of right now I feel like that's the only thing that will help. That being said, I can go to work and sometimes my relationship with my fiance is perfectly normal and fine. However, at other times I will sit crying hysterically with him for hours about the future, being worried, etc and he's very fed up with it..

EDIT: Jenvenza- See, that's exactly what I don't want to happen- I don't want to be addicted. I am glad to hear that Xanax worked for you though!!

You must train your mind. Practice right now by focusing only on your breath. When things go bad, always go back to your breath. In, then out. (I put myself to sleep at night by doing this). Think about that thing only, and nothing else. As you being to meditate focus on the keyboard, the desk, the people around you. And nothing else. Really focus. (not concentrate) but just observe, leave your analytical mind out of it. An excellent book to read is "THE POWER OF NOW" BY Eckart Tolle. Don't be fooled by the "spiritual-type" cover. Give it a chance and get a new perspective before you go running to medicine.

ETA: I'd also like to add that, what makes worriers crazy is this false illusion that there is a future. The future is really an illusion of the mind. Your future is actually determined by your present. If you are not focused on your present, then your future is never has a chance to form, not so much form but more like, you cannot control your future if you are not in the present. (if that makes sense).

One more thing, when the "worry thoughts" come into your mind (during meditation) you can pop them like a bubble, they aren't real anyway. Every thought bubble you pop creates a more focused brain.

NY Disney- thank you so much for posting those ideas. I will have to try that before I go to the DR. Also, I will pick up that book. And, the future comment is so true. I guess I hate uncertainty so much that I don't realize I can't worry about something that hasn't even happend- I just don't know how to stop. Hopefully your techniques will help!! :)

By the time I was diagnosed I was a real mess - esp since I was diagnosed in the ER with a panic attack after everyone was sure that I was having a PE (had them before) - even the medical staff since my bp and hr were unreal. It was really embarrassing, too. I followed up with my GP who diagnosed me with GAD and an ulcer - go figure, they were feeding off of each other. He started me out with meds for the ulcer in addition to Xanax (low dose - .25mg) and Celexa (anti-depressant/anti-anxiety). By the end of the summer I was only taking the Xanax maybe once every couple of weeks. It has gotten a little worse as the holidays approach but nothing like it was before and nothing I can't handle.

I, too, hate medications; I especially hate anything that makes me feel out of it, and I admit that the Xanax did that for the first week; after that, the only difference I noticed was my heart pounding less and my breathing steadier. I am working on relaxation and therapy for the long-term because I don't want to be on these meds forever, but I have to say I wouldn't have made it this far without the stepping stones of the meds.

All of that to say that I fully understand and support using non-medical means of treating anxiety, but don't be afraid or ashamed if you and your doctor decide that they'll help you to at least bridge the gap.

Good luck and best wishes!

My daughter was given an anti-depressant to help with her anxiety. We only used this short term though. She had gotten to the point where she had genuine fear in her voice over the silliest things. Situations she deemed unsafe even though they were not. The anti-anxiety meds helped her get over the hump.

I too have anxiety, but mine was dealt with via cognitive behavioral therapy. Honestly, I didn't know that meds were an option. But my anxiety was never considered severe to impact relationships. I had other issues that did though.

To be honest--self help didn't work for me or my daughter. So if it comes to needing professional assistance, it isn't that bad. I know folks mean well. But not everyone can fix anxiety with self-help.

I was able to treat my anxiety without meds, but it did require a professional to assist me.

Rory - I am very much a worrier as well. It does control my life sometimes, getting depressed about things I worry about and I can't control. I'd say that 95% of my worry is surrounded by finances. I find that taking control of what I worry helps my anxiety levels. I do prefer to live with my head in the sand but I realize that makes it worse in the long run.

I have no advice ... I know from working with my therapist that anxiety/guilt/depression ALL tie into each other. I have no idea how to deal with it but the PP gave some great advice. I wake myself up at night with anxiety and then can't go back to sleep. Then being tired makes it so much worse.

Good Luck ...

My daughter was given an anti-depressant to help with her anxiety. We only used this short term though. She had gotten to the point where she had genuine fear in her voice over the silliest things. Situations she deemed unsafe even though they were not. The anti-anxiety meds helped her get over the hump.
This is EXACTLY how I am. My worrying is sometimes so irrational that I worry about really stupid, silly things and like your DD, fear them.
I too have anxiety, but mine was dealt with via cognitive behavioral therapy. Honestly, I didn't know that meds were an option. But my anxiety was never considered severe to impact relationships. I had other issues that did though.

To be honest--self help didn't work for me or my daughter. So if it comes to needing professional assistance, it isn't that bad. I know folks mean well. But not everyone can fix anxiety with self-help.

I was able to treat my anxiety without meds, but it did require a professional to assist me.
The only reason I am looking to meds right now is because I have tried cognitive therapy (maybe not long enough?) and didn't really have any results. That being said, I know that it does work for some people. Maybe I need to go back to my therapist before going to the DR. I guess I just want my anxiety to go away quickly and I feel like meds would take care of that. But again, I don't want to be dependent on medication. Maybe a combination of the two is a place to start..

Rory - I am very much a worrier as well. It does control my life sometimes, getting depressed about things I worry about and I can't control. I'd say that 95% of my worry is surrounded by finances. I find that taking control of what I worry helps my anxiety levels. I do prefer to live with my head in the sand but I realize that makes it worse in the long run.

I have no advice ... I know from working with my therapist that anxiety/guilt/depression ALL tie into each other. I have no idea how to deal with it but the PP gave some great advice. I wake myself up at night with anxiety and then can't go back to sleep. Then being tired makes it so much worse.

Good Luck ...
:hug::hug::hug: Thank you and I hope you feel better too. Maybe this thread can help you!

ETA: I'd also like to add that, what makes worriers crazy is this false illusion that there is a future. The future is really an illusion of the mind. Your future is actually determined by your present. If you are not focused on your present, then your future is never has a chance to form, not so much form but more like, you cannot control your future if you are not in the present. (if that makes sense).

What??? Am I the only one that has no idea what this means? Could you elaborate or rephrase or...something, because I truly am curious as to what you mean.

Anyway, I get random, sporadic anxiety attacks. It's not necessarily due to worries about anything in particular (and certainly nothing that has any basis in reality), but rather a general feeling of impending doom and a feeling that disaster is lurking just around the corner. For this, xanax works quite well for me. Now, while it's tempting sometimes, I do avoid taking it for general everyday stress due to concerns I have about addiction.

May I suggest, respectfully, that a self-diagnosis may not be the best course because something pyhsical could be causing it. My DH had "anxiety" only to find out that the cause was physical.

However, I truly agree with living in the "now" or present. It is the only way I am surviving the economic crisis of the world right now. Please get the book recommended earlier.

And if self-talk doesn't work, please consider medication as it may be whay your doctor recommends. It doesn't have to be a long-term thing either.

good luck and I hope you feel better soon...or rather stop worrying about everything soon.

All the best!

I completely support all the people who are not so much for meds. However, my anxiety got so bad I couldn't function at work at times. I got on Ativan, the lowest dose possible. Basically, it doesn't get rid of the attack, just like a previous poster said, it slows my breathing down and my heart rate so I can use those "meditative" practices and get my anxiety the rest of the way under control using my own "power".

So meds don't make me high or mask the anxiety. Just takes me down enough so that I can control my own anxiety.

I highly reccomend it.

May I suggest, respectfully, that a self-diagnosis may not be the best course because something pyhsical could be causing it. My DH had "anxiety" only to find out that the cause was physical.
You are right about self diagnosing is not always the best but I guess I've always felt that I had anixety and my therapist told me I did. BUT, you are right and I should check out everything with my DR.

I completely support all the people who are not so much for meds. However, my anxiety got so bad I couldn't function at work at times. I got on Ativan, the lowest dose possible. Basically, it doesn't get rid of the attack, just like a previous poster said, it slows my breathing down and my heart rate so I can use those "meditative" practices and get my anxiety the rest of the way under control using my own "power".

So meds don't make me high or mask the anxiety. Just takes me down enough so that I can control my own anxiety.

I highly reccomend it.
This the kind of medication that I would want to be on. I don't want to be a zombie or for it to mask anything- I just want something to take the edge off so I can try the cognitive therapy techniques. Thank you for this post!

My advice is to make an appointment with a PSYCHIATRIST and not a general practioner. The psychdocs are experts on what you're going through and can prescribe something to help take the edge off so you won't be a chronic worrier anymore. While on the med, she will teach you how to re-wire your thinking, and since you'll be on the meds stopping the adrenaline rushes which exacerbate the worrying, you'll be much more receptive to learning how to control these thoughts. For many people, the med is necessary just to get them calm enough to change their catastrophic worry tendencies. So please please make an appointment with a psychiatrist asap. Why suffer when help is out there.

What??? Am I the only one that has no idea what this means? Could you elaborate or rephrase or...something, because I truly am curious as to what you mean.

What I meant to say in that rambling paragraph is that your future is determined by your present. That's pretty much my point. If you are not focused on your present...your future takes on a life all its own.

As for the self-help comment, not everything can be managed by self-help but I'm a HUGE believer in prayer as a form of healing for medical conditions but we are not allowed to talk about that on these threads. So I will stop there.

Huge worrier about my kids and depressed since adolesence. I am taking effexor and lexapro. Depression and anxiety too, were ruining my relationships and making me not want to get out of bed. For some people, it doesn't go away with therapy. It is a chemical imbalance that is helped by adding meds. For me, I was diagnosed from a therapist and my own dr. as having clinical depression. I have a chemical imbalance. The depression wasn't brought on from events in my life like a death or divorce. My meds, especially the effexer, have been lifechanging. The lexapro covers the depression, I don't feel sad everyday, every minute. The effexor has diminished the anxiety/OCD tendancies(about germs and something happening to my kids) and worry I was dealing with. It hasn't taken it away completely, but I can cope better and function in a different way. It really has helped me deal with day to day stuff.
:hug: to you and know you are not the only one who feels this way. There are so many people in your shoes. There is so much that you can do to help yourself. For me, it was finally reaching out to a professional for help and not worrying about the stigma of mental health. And knowing that its not my fault. I hope you feel better soon and find a way, either with antidepressants/anxiety meds or thru therapy. Take care and stay strong, you can overcome these anxieties.:flower3:

Just wanted to add that a full health exam is a great idea too. I also deal with an underactive thyroid, from what I have researched and been told by my therapist and dr., depression/anxiety can be a symptom of other health issues like the thyroid. It could be as simple as having a health exam to see if your depression or anxiety stem from something else. Keeping you in my thoughts because I know how you feel.:hug:

Please don't think that just because you are taking medication that you will be a zombie. If it is just the lowest dose (and the correct dose/medicine for you), then it'll just take the edge off. You will be fully aware.

I also agree with the PP about making an appointment with the psychiatrist.
They are best trained at which type of medicine and dosage might work best for you. If you try the medicine and don't like the way it makes you feel, you can chose to not take it. However, if you don't try - you'll never know the positive difference it might make.

If you do start on medication, might I suggest you ask your boyfriend to observe your behavior and reactions to things. Sometimes the effects of the medicine can be so subtle that you think your not getting any benefit. Chances are others close to you would notice.

Regardless of what you decide . . .:hug:

Please don't think that just because you are taking medication that you will be a zombie. If it is just the lowest dose (and the correct dose/medicine for you), then it'll just take the edge off. You will be fully aware.
I also agree with the PP about making an appointment with the psychiatrist.
They are best trained at which type of medicine and dosage might work best for you. If you try the medicine and don't like the way it makes you feel, you can chose to not take it. However, if you don't try - you'll never know the positive difference it might make.

If you do start on medication, might I suggest you ask your boyfriend to observe your behavior and reactions to things. Sometimes the effects of the medicine can be so subtle that you think your not getting any benefit. Chances are others close to you would notice.

Regardless of what you decide . . .:hug:

I agree...I have been on Prozac, wellbutrin, lexapro and effexor, none have made me feel like a zombie. Prozac and wellbutrin have helped but stopped helping after awhile. The other 2 are doing great right now. Do know that its trial and error with these meds. It takes some time to get it right with the meds and dosage to be at a theraputic level and feeling good. Initially when you start an antidepressant or anxiety med, it takes from 2-6 weeks to feel any different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter