Can anyone share their bread pudding recipe that has been passed down thru the years?

C.Ann

<font color=green>We'll remember when...<br><font
Since my grandmother died in 1978, I have been trying to make the absolutely delicious bread pudding that she used to make for us for our summer picnics and Christmas Eve gathering every year for as long as I can remember.. Unfortunately I never got the recipe from her before she passed - nor did anyone else..:(

I've done research galore online, looked in all sorts of cookbooks and magazines, but no luck.. Her bread pudding was not what many people typically think of when you say "bread pudding"..

First of all it was the consistency of pumpkin pie (sort of solid); just as smooth - except for the raisins (no "chunks" or "cubes" of bread) - and very close to the color of pumpkin pie.. I also know that she baked it in the oven in a crock-type baking dish..

Right now I have 2 recipes that I am going to try to combine certain ingredients from to see if it will come out right.. Some of the key ingredients that I'm pretty sure she might have used are:

Finely crushed, dried bread (probably accomplished with a rolling pin)
Evaporated milk (can milk)
Molasses
Dark brown sugar
Raisins
Cinnamon
And possibly nutmeg

If anyone has a very, very old recipe - or this particular bread pudding sounds familiar to a recipe you have - could you please post it?

Thanks! :goodvibes

Over here bread pudding is made with lard, and was typically made to use up stale bread. Likely to contain dried fruit and cinnamon or mixed spice. I think I have a recipe at home - I'll look it out for you.

ETA this link http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/13355/bread-pudding is a good traditional one

Not quite what I'm looking for, but thanks so much for taking the time to post the link..:goodvibes

Do you mean bread and butter pudding? Like with triangles of bread cooked in a sort of custard?

Do you mean bread and butter pudding? Like with triangles of bread cooked in a sort of custard?

No - just regular bread pudding - except my grandmother's was very smooth - no cubes or chunks of bread..

Anyhow - wanted to pop back in to report that I mixed and matched the two recipes I found that sounded close to what she made and it came out pretty darn good..:thumbsup2

It wasn't exactly like hers, but on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say it was a "9"..:goodvibes I don't think I'll ever find the exact recipe she used - she probably made some changes to suit her own tastes - but since this one came so close, I'm pretty happy about that..

Thanks so much for trying to help..:goodvibes

Can you post it (if you can remember it)? Maybe you'll just tweak the spices and fruit and see what happens each time;)

i've a recipe that i've been using for the last 20yrs , it's not one that was handed down to me it's from an old cook book of my and i stilll use it to this day :thumbsup2
1 large white loaf of bread
75g (3oz) Suet
350g (12oz) mixed dried fruit
50g (2oz) mixed peel
2 tablespoons of mixed spice
1 tablespoon golden syrup
75g (3oz) margarine or butter
125g (4oz) brown sugar
2 eggs beaten
2 table spoons of demerara sugar
gas mark 5 (190oC) (375f) for

This is not my family recipe but a friends. Believe me, people beg her to make it all the time.

Carol’s Extra Special Bread Pudding

4 cups cubed bread 5 eggs 2 cups sugar Wisk eggs and sugar then add in 2 cups milk 2 tsp vanilla wisk again Add in bread. Grease 13x9 pan
Topping - 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/2 cup stick butter 1 cup chopped pecans Sprinkle over bread mixture. Bake for at least 45 minutes at 350

Thanks for sharing the additional recipes.. :)

I dried out some bread over the past two days and hope to make the bread pudding again - possibly this weekend - and this time I'll add the raisins as well..

When I pull the two recipes out that I picked and chose from, I'll come back and post them as soon as I have the time..

Thanks again! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter