Can anyone set my mind at ease about the Fort Wilderness Cabins?

CSchex

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! My family and I are planning our 8th trip to the world together and this go round my husband has elected to stay at the Fort Wilderness Cabins. We have two sons, ages 12 & 16 and will also be traveling with my parents, my sister and her 2 daughters (they are staying in a separate cabin).
We have stayed at the Pop (4 times) and POR (3 times). The last 2 times we stayed at the Riverside we stayed in the Royal Guest rooms (my niece's choice). So this time it's time to do something for the guys in the group! Can anyone shed any light on the transportation there? Is it difficult? What about dining options? My kids seem to eat all the time (I guess that's teenage boys for ya). The only quick service I see is take out only? Any input, recommendations about this resort would be helpful. We are definitely staying there, as the men on the trip have tolerated staying in the princess rooms the past few years. I stayed many times at Fort Wilderness as a child in the campground, but I was too young to remember much about it. Thanks everyone!

http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
2ppq2qsouipo64b7.png
[/url

I've stayed at FTW and am currently planning a trip there next February - vacation after conference at GF. Anyhow, there are buses that go all over the various loops at FTW -- however, we found renting a golf cart made transportation a lot easier. Getting to MK is a snap, as there is small ferry boat that goes there and CR and possibly stops at WL as well. We've done the ferry to CR, monorail from CR to TTC and monorail from TTC to Epcot. The challenge from FTW is if you have a car you can't really drive anywhere internally -- you check in, and then you park your car at your cabin. It is perfect if you don't mind taking your car to the other parks, but there is no place to park it internally except at the bus stops for the other parks. That's why the golf cart is an easier option as you can drive from your cabin to a golf cart parking lot and hop on the ferry.

If your boys eat a lot, the cabin has its advantage in that you have a full kitchen, plus a grill plus a nice deck with picnic table. You could order through gardengrocer.com or similar - or if you have a car go to the grocery store. We tended to do breakfast at the cabin, had snacks and drinks to bring to park, and light lunch on the go in a park, then dinner we either ate out in the parks or a couple of nights we grilled -- we were on vacation and didn't want to make it seem like we had to cook -- more a matter of a couple of times it is nice to just kick back and not be rushed to meet an ADR.

Tom

We stayed there years ago and loved it, we rented a golf cart and I have heard that if there over the holidays, people decorate them. We stayed there because we had a 18 month old and did not want to worry about her crying. The boat to MK, or buses anywhere else. Plus there is so much to take advantage of they at the campground.

:cool1:

We stayed in May and loved it! Transportation is easy we rented a golf cart which was great with tired little ones. The bus is constantly coming and going so im sure it is great as well. The quick service is dinner only but so good!!! We had trails end for lunch one day and Buffet dinner another. All three meals were great no problems and we are picky!!! We used the boat daily to get to mk and the contemporary (monorail to ohana breakfast early at the poly), dinner at wilderness lodge and had no issues either. Beats driving to individual resorts for sure! We love being able to get right back to mk directly after each. Housekeeping came daily and was good. No complaints!

Has anyone stayed here without the golf carts? It's already a stretch for us to spend the extra money for a cabin vs. a room at the other moderates. A golf cart would add an extra $300+ to the trip. Thanks everyone!

2ppq2qsouipo64b7.png
[/url

Has anyone stayed here without the golf carts? It's already a stretch for us to spend the extra money for a cabin vs. a room at the other moderates. A golf cart would add an extra $300+ to the trip. Thanks everyone!

2ppq2qsouipo64b7.png
[/url

We stayed there in 2007 and didn't rent a golf cart. The transportation system can be confusing/frustrating and depending on your location you may do quite a bit of walking.

Having said *that* we still loved it and the cabin is much better than a standard room at the other resorts. It's the most unique experience to be had at WDW and I highly recommend it(weven without a golf cart).:thumbsup2

2ppq2qsouipo64b7.png
[/url

We have but having the golf cart, or bikes, makes things a little easier. We rented a golf cart from an outside company, I think it was Kenny's tee time or something like that, you could google it. It worked out cheaper.

Jumping in here if you don't mind? I added a couple nights in a cabin next week before we check in at SSR and we are planning on just staying there the two nights-- pony rides, camp fire, etc... Is there any quick service? I have done HDDR before a few timesand Trails End for dinner but wondering about quick service options? Thanks!

WHAT? I am so glad I know about the DIS. We have a reservation at the VWL for November--big part of the draw was the quiet, serene pool. Love the WL, not a fan of construction. I know it has to happen, and it is what it is--but not during our vacation! Bye bye WL! :sad1: See you next time!

Thanks for the head's up!

We've stayed at the cabins twice - once with the golf cart, once without. While we did enjoy having the golf cart more than not, the trip where we didn't have one was completely doable.

If you don't get a cart, you will want to ask to be close to a bus stop. We were lucky enough that it was literally about 20 yards from our cabin, and we were only about a city block from the quiet pool.

Also, if you don't get a cart, you will want to have your kitchen stocked with some snacks. Actually even if you have a cart, you will want to do this. We found it so much more convenient than running to the store etc. In fact we went home with 11 unused qs credits - I think due to not really having a qs option that wasn't a pain in the butt! lol

While we love the cabins very much and I can see myself staying there again, it is a VERY different vacation than staying somewhere else on property. It forces you to slow down and smell the roses, which is not always a bad thing.

The best advice I can give you is to go into it with the most knowledge you can about how things work, and with a good attitude. Expect that things will take a bit longer and that there may be some things you do without (a quick trip to refill mugs for example).

Enjoy yourselves and have fun - it is a BEAUTIFUL resort and a lot of fun.

Things I like about Ft. Wilderness -
quiet, relaxing camp ground feel
lots of activities, shows, affordable dining options, gift shops with a good variety of grocery items
new pool has a great area for little ones
boat transportation
walkable to WL

I love just sitting on the beach at sunset watching the colors change

I have never stayed at Fort Wilderness Cabins but have visited Fort Wilderness and it is one of my favorites! We love the Trails End Buffet. If you'd like to see, I have some pictures and a review of the restaurant HERE.

I think your family will really enjoy it there!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter