Can anyone recommend a good red wine?

jenfur

DIS Veteran
I am interested in drinking a little red wine for the heart health benefits. I have tried this before and hated it. I really don't like the taste of alcohol. BUT, I am willing to try again. I just have no idea what kind to buy. Can someone recommend a good brand that is easy to find, but not absolutely nasty. I prefer to get the "oh, she's buying that for dinner" rather than the "do you want a brown bag with that?" type.:drinking1

Ohhhh hope you get some good replies!
I have a red wine rack in my new kitchen and as I don't drink Red I pay attention to posts like this! Needs lots of ideas as I have 24 spots to fill!
LOL:confused3

most of the mid range austrialina shiraz's are pretty good
Penfolds is the largest austrailian producer-and they bottle several shiraz's ranging in price from 9 to 700 per bottle-the Thomas hyland, Bin 28 and Bin 128 are all fairly nice and run in the 11 to 15 dollar range.
Angroves Red Belly black is nice as well

Shingle back is very very good for the price-dont remember the vineyard but it has a silver label with a rock art style lizard on it.

if you want to spend a little less-yellowtail and Rosemont Estate are drinkable.

I really love Bell Cabernet Sauvignon, Montes Alpha Cabernet Sauvignon, and Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon.

The Bell is my all time favorite.

More info please: Do you prefer a sweeter red, a dry, a semi-dry? Very hard to recommend without knowing this. Any price ranges? There is so much to choose from!

You get the same benefits from drinking purple grape juice. The only thing alcohol does better is raise HDL, good cholesterol. The benefits of grape juice though stay in your system longer and don't damage cell renewal, alcohol does.

I don't know where you live, but we love Bully Hill wine, from New York State's Fingerlakes region!!

Bully Hill is kind of an offshoot of Taylor Wines (LONG FAMILY STORY INVOLVED!), founded by the black sheep of the family, Walter Taylor.

Here's their website:
http://www.bullyhill.com/wines/

Check out their "Love My Goat" red wine -- my DH does not drink wine, and he really loves this one!

A couple of nice ones that are somewhat mellow:

Luna de Luna makes a blend of Sangiovese and Merlot.

Who's that golfer, the shark? Is it Jack Nicklas, from Australia? Anyway, he makes a great Merlot also. Has a shark on the label.

Two of my favorite wines used to be Woop Woop Shiraz, and 7 Deadly Zins. The Woop Woop was slightly sweeter, but both are fairly dry.

I started off a long time ago with the really sweet cheap wines. Things like Reunite Leombrusco. I then segued into White Zinfandel (another sweet wine). Merlot is a really nice next step (not sweet though) with lower tannins.

Most people have a hard time jumping right into the dryer red wines. Something I just heard about is taking a cheap, but nice red wine (like a Yellow Tail Shiraz) and adding 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar to a glass of it. It adds the sweetness that new wine drinkers like, lowers the effects of the tannins, but you're still drinking basically good wine. As you get used to red wine, you lessen the amount of sugar added.

I can't currently drink anything due to some health problems, so if anyone tries this, let me know how it works out.

Try a fetzer merlot. It is on the low end of the moderate priced wines, and is usually pretty easy to sip. It is also a large name so you should be able to find it most places.

DW generally dislikes red wine, but she wants to drink it for health reasons too. She's tried a bunch of them and the ones she likes best are blends of Shiraz and Cabernet grapes. Penfold makes one that she liked. Thomas Hardy has a wine called "Clancy" that includes a little Merlot too.

The Penfold blend is readily available, and Whole Foods usually has the Thomas Hardy one on sale.

We love Duplin but it is sweet. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but it is Wonderful if you like yours sweet. It comes from a winery in NC. The one that we like so much has the light house on it I think it is the Hatteras.
It is not but about 8.00 a bottle.

I cant help with any of the others because we can never find sweet enough for us;) . We are not big drinkers at all and I hate the taste of wine unless it is sweet.

I like good old cheap Australian Shiraz. Banrock Station and Lindemans come to mind.

I think the golfer you are talking about is Greg Norman. I haven't tried his wine label. Anyone?

Yes, hubby and I love the Greg Norman wines! The Pinot Noir is usually highly rated. We also like the Cabernet-Merlot blend (DH's favorite wine) as well as the Shiraz.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter