Can anyone help with Clearwater Beach questions?

Disx5

Earning My Ears
We (me and two teens, one toddler) are traveling to WDW this July and would like to spend a few days at the beach first. We go to atlantic New England beaches all summer (COLD water) so, I would love to experience the gulf side of Florida.

We have to arrive July 2 and use hilton points for a hotel. I am thinking we should fly to tampa and go to Clearwater Beach hilton for a few nights as it's right on the beach. I am just wondering - will it be way too crowded over the fourth? Is the beach nice or much too over-the-top touristy and tacky? Hard to tell from tripadvisor (mixed reviews). Will it be comfortable for teen girls with their family or is it more drinking/partying crowd?

I am thinking the shorter drive to WDW will be nice and the hotel's beach should be less crowded. Or is it just crazy busy and kind of yucky in general?

Would I be better off driving further south to Marco Island? I know the drive back to WDW would be at least twice as long - but would it be worth it for that beach instead?

Thanks so much for your help. I know a lot about WDW - never attempted a Florida beach though. Gulf side just looks so nice and different than what we are used to.

Thanks!

Isn't there a Hilton Hotel on Longboat Key?
Quieter than Clearwater but less than two hours to WDW.

ford family

It will be very crowded. Clearwater Beach is a pretty crowded beach normally and July 4th will be crazy. But sometimes, crazy is fun!

We (me and two teens, one toddler) are traveling to WDW this July and would like to spend a few days at the beach first. We go to atlantic New England beaches all summer (COLD water) so, I would love to experience the gulf side of Florida.

We have to arrive July 2 and use hilton points for a hotel. I am thinking we should fly to tampa and go to Clearwater Beach hilton for a few nights as it's right on the beach. I am just wondering - will it be way too crowded over the fourth? Is the beach nice or much too over-the-top touristy and tacky? Hard to tell from tripadvisor (mixed reviews). Will it be comfortable for teen girls with their family or is it more drinking/partying crowd?

I am thinking the shorter drive to WDW will be nice and the hotel's beach should be less crowded. Or is it just crazy busy and kind of yucky in general?

Would I be better off driving further south to Marco Island? I know the drive back to WDW would be at least twice as long - but would it be worth it for that beach instead?

Thanks so much for your help. I know a lot about WDW - never attempted a Florida beach though. Gulf side just looks so nice and different than what we are used to.

Thanks!

Clearwater is crowded, but it is a great beach, but too overpriced for me...

As for the Hilton located there, you really can not even get a Ocean front view because the hotel is built with the majority of the rooms on the sides of the hotel, and the rooms are small. The hotel is nice, but still overpriced because it is located on Clearwater Beach.

If you do decide to stay there a great place for lunch is directly across the street from the hotel at the sub shot, and they have great burgers too! Frogs is a popular restrauant that is within walking distance that they will recommend. It has no air conditioning as it somewhat outside and can be very crowded so make sure you get there early if you choose that place.

I did look at the Longboat Key hilton - it's closing in July for a year-long renovation - so I'm afraid it might not be in great shape.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

I don't mind crazy busy - as long as it's not TOO crazy or trashy, know what I mean?

We just stayed at the HIlton in early March and we loved it. We had an ocean view room overlooking the pier. I asked for a high floor and it was great for beautiful sunsets. I love the west coast. The color of the water and the warmth is great for me. (I live on the south shore of Long Island and our water is cold) Touristy? I suppose, but so much fun. We people watched, looked for shells and had a great time.
Have fun!

Well, the 4th of July is always busy, no mater where you go.

When we go down to Florida we had always stayed on the Gulf, multiple times & different places starting in Clearwater Beach all the way down to St. Pete Beach.

After that we discovered how much we liked Fort Myers Beach and we just keep coming back there so far. Mainly due to the white powdery sand you can step on barefooted without getting burned and those unbelievable sunsets. Also, many times there was a major rain/ thunderstorm happening inland across the Bay, While we enjoyed sunshine on the beach, Like it has it's own micro climate.

The stretch from Clearwater beach to St Pete Beaches send contains crushed sea shells, need to wear sandals. But the Clearwater Beach send is pretty clean, but hot to step on. Also, Clearwater Beach is very congested.

Just love the Pink Shell Resort in Fort Myers Beach, the powdery sand that feels cool to step on, and the Lover's Key State Part for shelling. I understand that the Siesta Beach area is where the white sand start stretching all the way south.

Friend of mine did stay in the Marco Island Hilton and he loved it. But that area is not busy like Clearwater Beach at all. To compare, is you're single looking for party and fun = Clearwater Beach, where the young crowd hangs out. And if I remember, he said that there was more seaweed on the beach in Marco Island then in Clearwater, but the beach and water was phenomenal. However, I'm sure it's more the couple hours of drive to WDW then from Clearwater Beach area...

I'm sure you'll enjoy any place you'll pick, they are all unique and beautiful. Have fun.

We never made it to Siesta Key Beach yet, wanted to, but we did run out of time...

You know, always need a reason to come back again. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter