• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can anyone help me with Texas eviction laws?

Doing some quick Googling, you can't be evicted within 3 days, but you can be notified that within 3 days a eviction lawsuit can begin. It doesn't mean that the tenent has to move out within 3 days, but that eviction proceedings will begin in 3 days. Eviction usually takes MUCH longer than that. Once the process is started and a suit is file, it was stay with you for a long time and effect anyone's rental history. Even if it has a favorable outcome (dismissal or judgement for the tenent), it will be a black spot on anyone's rental history. Here is a link I found.
http://www.dallascounty.org/html/citizen-serv/legal-info/media/Eviction.pdf

I also just realized that I didn't answer your question. A landlord can evict for any number of reasons, usually failure to pay is the biggest. Usually a landlord won't force to evict, or file an eviction lawsuit unless they have a good case.

I can't answer your question but I had to tell you something funny about your pics.

The second one in the middle, the one with the statue, I was wondering who the other person was in the photo. On the second (ok 5th, look see), I noticed that it was you in before and after pics. You spliced the pic together really well.

I hope this brightens your day. I'm a dork.

mt2

My lease is the standard Texas Apt. Assn. lease, copyright 2005.

Paragraph 32: "If you default, we may end your right of occupancy by giving you a 24 hour written notice to vacate."

Paragraph 31 defines "default" as "Failure to pay rent or other amounts that you owe, you or any guest or occupant violates the lease or rules, you abandon the apartment, you give false info on your rental application, you or any occupant is arrested, charged, detained, convicted, or given deferred adjudication for a felony offense involving harm to a person or possession, manufacture, or delivery of a controlled substance." It also says they can evict you if you have drugs in your apartment.

If your landlord is just a guy, not a property company, then I guess you could be evicted under whatever terms are in the lease you signed.

Thanks guys!

What about being a victum of a crime?

Say someone kicks your door in and takes shots at you? No one in the house accused, arrested, detained or anything close?

-

I'm not really sure I understand your position--lack of details thing. But go to The people's lawyer and you will find the answer to your exact question. If not, and that would be highly unlikely, email them and you'll get an answer.

yeah, are you and the girls alright?

Well, perhaps that is covered in Paragraph 20 which outlines "prohibited conduct". That one covers things like criminal conduct, behaving in a loud or obnoxious manner, disturbing or threatening the health, safety or convenience of others, discharging a firearm in the apartment community, displaying or possessing a gun, knife, or other weapon in a way that may alarm others" etc.

If this was a random act by a stranger then I would think you should still be allowed to stay in your dwelling. (Not that I would WANT to stay after something like that...)

If you KNEW the person then I wonder if that person is considered your "guest" and you are responsible for his/her actions by association. Did you call the police and file a report? You may require legal assistance on this. Not to mention the medical assistance you may require if your attacker returns!

I will say if somebody kicked in my next door neighbor's door and shot at him I would NOT be a happy camper. My son sleeps in a room with a common wall to the apartment next door! On the other hand, I wouldn't necessarily want him EVICTED for being the victim of a crime, even if he knew the person who attacked him.

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out!

humm, looks like your heading to disney soon and want this "person" out soon with fear of what may go on?? can the cops be called with you in fear of your safety and or property, can't they do something?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter