Can anyone from NJ help me figure out how to get to port for DVC Member cruise?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
I would be coming from Cape May and could get a ride to Newark airport, but Disney does not do bus transfers from Newark airport. It does not appear that anyone else provides shuttles either. I have read you can take public transportation to Penn Statuon, and take a subway, or bus ot taxi. Do you really have to roll your luggage through the streets of NYC?

What solutions if any are there?

Thanks,
Bobbi

I would be coming from Cape May and could get a ride to Newark airport, but Disney does not do bus transfers from Newark airport. It does not appear that anyone else provides shuttles either. I have read you can take public transportation to Penn Statuon, and take a subway, or bus ot taxi. Do you really have to roll your luggage through the streets of NYC?

What solutions if any are there?

Thanks,
Bobbi

I live in NJ too but was going to take a car service from my house to the port. I live more central NJ so it's easier than from Capr May

You can take a NJ Transit train from Newark airport to penn station but then you have to still get to the port. That's a lot of dragging luggage around though. You can maybe arrange a car service to take you from the airport to the port. Check the Newark airport website they may have some info on limo companies in the area. We usually use Arrow.

Have you check supershuttle? They will pick you up at Newark and just put the address of the pier in NYC as your drop off location. Looks like it will be $23 for first passenger and $12 for each additional passenger if you are okay making stops for other people on your way. It is $125 for a private shuttle for up to 10 people.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will be alone, my cruise mate will be a tablemate from this year's cruise. I will be looking up super shuttle, do not mind being on a bus that has other stops!

Best bet is a car from Newark, or a Cab from Penn if you take the train from Newark to Penn.

You can Uber it or get a car service.

Instead of going all the way to the airport, why not get a ride to Bay Head and take the train all the way into Penn and then take a taxi?

We live in No. NJ and cruise out of NY a few times a year. We travel light though - carryon only for a 12 day.. For us the train to NYC Penn and then a taxi is the easiest. You only cart your luggage to the taxi stand outside Penn. The cab runs 15 with tip - but I think the rates might have gone up. Might be an alternative if you can get dropped off at the train instead of the airport.

I did the Disney cruise from New York in 2012. I will be doing the Canada 5 night before the DVC member cruise. I will be taking the Path Train to Newport Centre to catch the Light Rail. The Light Rail will take you to the Tonnelle Light Rail station where you can take the NY waterway(ferry). Disney usually docks on pier 88 which is not far from the NY waterway.

Instead of going all the way to the airport, why not get a ride to Bay Head and take the train all the way into Penn and then take a taxi?

I agree with this tip. IMO, I would avoid dealing with Newark Airport -- too much transferring with your luggage. Get a ride to Bay Head and take the North Jersey Coast train straight to Penn, then get a taxi to the port. Regardless, have a great time! I would have loved to do a member cruise out to NYC. But it is just way too expensive. It would be over $4K for me and my son. (It's about half that for a 7 day out of NYC on another line.) Not worth it for a trip to Canada where we will likely not be able to use any of the pools or slides on the ship because it'll be too cold by then.

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will be alone, my cruise mate will be a tablemate from this year's cruise. I will be looking up super shuttle, do not mind being on a bus that has other stops!

Here is a helpful link for NJ Transit...I've selected Bay Head to Penn Station. If you opt to do this, keep in mind the Garden State Parkway northbound is a nightmare during the morning rush hour. It looks like you would have to change trains in Long Branch. I love the train.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf/sf_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TripPlannerItineraryFrom

I did the NYC/Canada cruise a few years ago. It was nice, a little chilly at night. You will have a wonderful time. We did an excursion....I think it was a riverboat cruise or something...I would not do it again I don't think. It got a little boring. The Animator's Palatte on the Magic is so much better than the one on the Fantasy, IMO. Any Disney cruise is wonderful!

Ok...what I have done is put this link in my "things to save" folder! So many good suggestions, about the traffic, rail lines etc. I just wanted to be sure I could do it before I went and booked the cruise and found that it was just too complicated.

My most moving experience in Halifax was in the cemetery area dedicated to the passengers of the Titanic. I would go there again...Peggy's cove is amazing.

My thoughts about the pricing of the Member Cruise include the feeling that it is more expensive than it needs to be, but apparently that's a reality, feelings do not count. Many people had complained to Ken P. about the cost at this year's August cruise. The fact that nothing changed for the better means to me at least, it's DCL's pricing for the charter. The cost of having the Imagineers, the Broadway entertainers is high, and so, if you want to experience it it's what you must pay. I myself would not pay the price for a Party of the Senses, but people do. I wish it were not so.

Imaginiff, I have only been on the Magic before the revamping. I love the AP experience on the Fantasy, if you say this is better, I can hardly wait until December which is when I am on the Magic again.

Bobbi

Try NY waterways ferry out of Belford NJ. Drops you off at W39th Street and you walk a few blocks to the ship from there.

For the Train, Looks like you'd need to get Amtrak from Trenton and round trip advance fare is $64 (less if AAA member.) Lots of time choices.

If someone is driving you all the way to Newark, your idea to drop off at Libery Airport is not bad... Supershuttle or similar from there. Be very exact about where they will pick you up since you will get dropped at departures and need to make your way to arrivals for pickup.

Driving deep into Hoboken for the ferry terminals is only for the adventurous or experienced NJ driver. But if that is true, then head for the Hoboken 14th st ferry station, where ferries leave like every 10 minutes to go across to 39th st. From there take a taxi. The Ferry terminal is at W 39th st and the cruise terminal is at W 53rd St. 14 Blocks is a little too far to walk with cruise luggage.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter