Can anyone critique my (jam-packed) trip plans? First time visit...

JulyFire

Earning My Ears
This will be our first trip to Disney, and we only have 3 days. I am trying to pack many, many things in, I know, but we probably won't get to go again for at least 5 years, so...

We will be traveling in August with 4 kids, ages 13, 11, 5, and 2 1/2. Wide range of "must-dos" are present, including mom & dad's! :)

We will be bringing a double stroller for the little ones, who have NO problem napping through the afternoon while being pushed around if they need some extra sleep. We plan to have late nights, to take advantage of EMHs.

I also realize that this sort of schedule will leave us all very tired by the end - but that's okay! We can handle 3 days of it, and after we leave, we are going to the grandparents' where we can just lounge and rest. :) We also have a ton of table service meals (gotta cram in all those characters princess: :) ) that will provide rest times.

What I'm most interested in knowing is if it is even a *possible* schedule. Any critiques or tips would be GREAT. We are staying at the Polynesian. We will have to do rider swaps on all rides that the littlest kids can't go on.

Day one: Arrive around 11am. Take kids swimming at Poly pool.
Very late lunch at Teppan Edo at 4:30. (Yes, we are going to Epcot basically just for dinner this night and then leaving. But 3 family members REALLY want to go there and this was the only place I could stick it)
After dinner, head to Hollywood Studios.
Rides/shows that have been voted "must dos" while at HS = Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Rock'N'Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror
Fantasmic
Late dinner at a CS somewhere while there.
This is an EMH night at HS

Day two:
Early AM - explore Poly resort, beach, etc.
Breakfast at Chef Mickey's at 10:05
Explore contemporary
Get on monorail for Epcot no later than 1:00
Do what we can at Epcot before...
Lunch at Le Cellier at 2:30
then more exploring Epcot.
Dinner at Coral Reef at 8:30 (the only ressie I could get - I am trying every day to move this earlier - 7:30?) so we can be done in time for Illuminations. But the Coral Reef was voted a must-do by several family members.
Then hopefully illuminations, then more exploring Epcot until late (evening EMH this night for Epcot)

Day three:
Pooh breakfast at Crystal Palace at 8:15. Take advantage of being first in the park by trying to knock out Fantasyland and surrounding areas early.
Stay in MK until around 12:30
Then back to Poly for naps for all (tonight will be a late, late night, especially for the parents)
Cinderella Royal Gala Feast at Grand Floridian at 4:30
Then back to MK until about 8:15 or so
Then back to Poly to watch fireworks from beach
Dinner at Ohana at 9:30
Then back to room, where kids will be left with babysitter to sleep and Mom and Dad get to go out alone for several hours. :woohoo:

Things voted "must-do" at MK that we want to fit in during the times above that we will be there:

*railroad, POTC, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, carousel, teacups, Space Mountain, Space Ranger Spin, a couple of Fantasyland character-type rides, meeting Ariel and Belle

Departure day:
Get up early to take kids swimming at Poly pool one more time
Then load up van and check out
Drive to GF for Mary Poppins breakfast at Park Faire at 11:10
Hit Downtown Disney for some shopping/browsing
Then away to the grandparents' house (about an hour and a half from Disney).

Sooo....am I insane? Is there anything that *needs* to be changed because it just won't work? Recommendations on plans of attack to fit in the "must-dos" (especially at MK)? Thanks so much for any tips/advice you can offer this first-timer!! (and for reading so much :) )

You may not get to Studios in time to catch the Indiana Jones show. The show schedule is only available a week in advance and it does change, but now the last Indiana Jones show of the day starts at 5:15. They will not let you in late. When we were there, it filled up completely 15-20 minutes before the show & no one else got in. Since you mentioned that as as must do...

That is jam packed!! Do you have hopper tix to do the Epcot meal then DHS? I would also eliminate some table service meals....especially the very late dinners that the kids may be too tired to enjoy.

Hollywood Studios will likely be jam packed, so I'd suggest deciding which one or two attractions of the must do's are the ABSOLUTE must do's and go for those. I'd also suggest deciding which means more to you, park touring time or sit down meals. You're spending a lot of time in restaurants that might be better spent visiting attractions...but it depends on your priorities and what matters most to you in the vacation.

I'd get on the monorail from Chef Mickey no later than 11:30, and when you get to Epcot, send a runner to get fast passes for either Test Track or Soarin' if going on either of these matters to you. FPs go really fast and your return time could be well past your lunch at LeCell.

You definitely packed it in.

My only reccomendation is to prioritize your must do's. The line for Ariel is usually 90 minutes, and the same with the princesses in toon town 50 minutes, depending on when you go, (try to go right away), so make sure you hit the must do's first.

On a side note, make sure that you plan some inside attractions to be on as well, August is a scorcher, 90-95 during the day.

Also, might I add, Mickey's Philharmagic in Fantasyland is a MUST DO it is really cool, it is a 3-D show and even my 18 month old loves it and leaves the glasses on for it.

And Wishes fireworks at MK is a must do, make sure you are at the front of the castle or the bridge to tomorrowland as there is a special surprise at the beginning of the show, if you have an tink fans in your group.

Fast pass those things that are must do's that you can. i.e. Space Mountain and the like.

You have a lot of time scheduled at Epcot, you might find you finish with Epcot early if you aren't really into the world showcase, so don't be afraid to hop to other parks like back to HWS or on the monorail to MK if don't get everything in at those places on your other days.

In all honesty, never been impressed with illuminations, wishes is so much better, maybe swap out illuminations for wishes by hopping back to MK if you can.IMHO

We are going in August too 18-24th how about you?

Also, be advised to get a seat at Fantasmic, you have to be AT LEAST 30 minutes early,

Do you have hopper passes??? You can't go to Epcot for dinner then to HWS if you don't have the hoppers.

If you have any princess lovers in your group you may want to consider the princess storybook dining for lunch or dinner in Epcot Norway Pavillion.

They will have 5 of the princesses at each character meal. If you are willing to do it for dinner (we did last year) we saw belle in the yellow dress (photo op as you come in) and Ariel (with legs) in a green ball gown during the rotation of the princesses throughout the dining room. This is the only place that you can see Ariel outside of the grotto at MK. She is a favorite, and she was the sweetest to my DD when we went last year.

This also would help with line waiting at MK for princess meet and greets

Wow, that is a lot to do! My biggest worry would be that your kids are going to be sick and tired of sitting in restaurants and would rather be doing more park stuff. Three table service meals or buffets in one day takes more time than you think. I know because I did the same thing on our visit last Sept. We scheduled LOTS of table service meals and everyone ended up being irritated because we would be having tons of fun in the parks and have to stop and head to wherever our meal was scheduled. Granted the table service meals are a fun break and a neat experience, but the time simply goes too fast when you are in the parks. By the time we'd finished one meal, gotten to our destination park, and started having fun, it felt like it was time to pack it up and move onto our next dining reservation! I might eliminate one of the reservations each day (on the days where you have three) and spend more time doing the rides. It really depends on how badly your kids want to ride and how easily they conform to your plans though. I have to say that I had expected MORE out of the dining experiences too. Don't get me wrong, they were wonderful, but the parks are wonderful too and there is a lot more to do and see than I ever expected and I felt like I was wasting valuable time eating all the time!

Also, like another poster mentioned, you need to check the schedule of rides/shows for the parks that have extra magic hours. I mistakenly assumed that every attraction at the park would be open during EMH and that is not the case, it is only select ones. So we planned on spending all this time at Hollywood Studios when it was open late one night and then found we ran out of things to do because everything wasn't open and there were only certain things my children were interested in/able to do.

Hope that helps, have FUN!

This will be our first trip to Disney, and we only have 3 days. I am trying to pack many, many things in, I know, but we probably won't get to go again for at least 5 years, so...

We will be traveling in August with 4 kids, ages 13, 11, 5, and 2 1/2. Wide range of "must-dos" are present, including mom & dad's! :)

We're staying at Poly too for 1st time (5th trip) but in June...

We will be bringing a double stroller for the little ones, who have NO problem napping through the afternoon while being pushed around if they need some extra sleep. We plan to have late nights, to take advantage of EMHs.

Smart on bringing the double stroller, only have 2 walking to keep track of that way, keep in mind though your kids sleeping schedules or ease of sleeping may not match up to your expectatuions at WDW...our then 2 1/2 yr did well sleeping in the begiining of our trip, but by the end...not so good! TIP bring a towel from home you can pin to your stroller canapy and pull down when napping to keep cool and quiet!

I also realize that this sort of schedule will leave us all very tired by the end - but that's okay! We can handle 3 days of it, and after we leave, we are going to the grandparents' where we can just lounge and rest. :) We also have a ton of table service meals (gotta cram in all those characters princess: :) ) that will provide rest times.

It's always smart to have a schedule plan of attack, but have the flexibility to change it around as needed...lines, rain, who knows!

What I'm most interested in knowing is if it is even a *possible* schedule. Any critiques or tips would be GREAT. We are staying at the Polynesian. We will have to do rider swaps on all rides that the littlest kids can't go on.

Very late lunch at Teppan Edo at 4:30. (Yes, we are going to Epcot basically just for dinner this night and then leaving. But 3 family members REALLY want to go there and this was the only place I could stick it)
Rides/shows that have been voted "must dos" while at HS = Indiana Jones, Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Rock'N'Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror
Fantasmic

Ditto on the question do you have park hoppers or you won't be able to do this. if so you can take a friendship boat launch from alternate entrance/exit over to the Studios, not super fast, but also not crowded and relaxing!
Keep inmind any TS will run you 1 to 2 hrs with wait time, eating etc...epscially a fam of 6, and character meals can go longer!

check this site for show times and entertianment for all the parks, you'll have to check it more regualrly when your trip gets closer though
pages.prodigy.net/stevesoares/index.htm for your IJSS, you'll have to do baby swap for the younger two on ST, RnRC & ToT, but why not split parties and take the little ones to see Playhouse Disney Live, Voyage of the Little Mermaid or let of some steam for all to enjoy at the Honey I Shrunk the Kids Playset...

IMHO I'd drop Fantasmic, after a day of travel, you'll all be burning the candle at both ends...I was hoping to do DHS too my first day w/ Fantasmic and then up in the morning next day for rope drop...we're going to be there longer than you and dropped the whole day altogehter to just stay at the Poly and do DTD. anyhow, have fun at the Studios , but get back to the Poly for a first night'd good rest...keep some reasonable pace here.

Day two:
Explore contemporary not much to explore probably can do while waiting for your table
Get on monorail for Epcot no later than 1:00 walk over to the TTC and just catch it there
Do what we can at Epcot before... WS will be more crowded now than FW
Dinner at Coral Reef at 8:30 (the only ressie I could get - I am trying every day to move this earlier - 7:30?) so we can be done in time for Illuminations. But the Coral Reef was voted a must-do by several family members.
Then hopefully illuminations, then more exploring Epcot until late (evening EMH this night for Epcot)

I'd pick just 1 of your 2 TS's at Epcot this day and spend more time doing rides and touring the park. There are so many wonderful CS places in the WS you can have just as great of lunch in less time! I personally do like Illuminations, there's no way you'll see it with a late dinner ADR, not to mention, can your 5 and 2 1/2 yr olds last that long to eat? overall I think your Day 2 looks good!

Day three:
Pooh breakfast at Crystal Palace at 8:15. Take advantage of being first in the park by trying to knock out Fantasyland and surrounding areas early.
Then back to Poly for naps for all (tonight will be a late, late night, especially for the parents)
Then back to room, where kids will be left with babysitter to sleep and Mom and Dad get to go out alone for several hours. :woohoo:

Things voted "must-do" at MK that we want to fit in during the times above that we will be there:

*railroad, POTC, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion, It's a Small World, carousel, teacups, Space Mountain, Space Ranger Spin, a couple of Fantasyland character-type rides, meeting Ariel and Belle

I think this day looks real nice too, except that super late dinner ADR, why don't just you and DH do that and have CS for the kids earlier at MK or back at the Poly? If you want to meet Ariel in her grotto, it opens at 10 am so line up no later than 9:45 that needs to be first thing! You can also meet Belle when she reads stores behind the castle, check enterntainment schedule! The only thing you should have to baby swap on is SM & BTMR, the rest are so fine for the little ones. Plus plan some time for them to play there's a tot lots under the Splash mountain area, in Fantsyland and in toontown.

Departure day:

Sooo....am I insane? Is there anything that *needs* to be changed because it just won't work? Recommendations on plans of attack to fit in the "must-dos" (especially at MK)? Thanks so much for any tips/advice you can offer this first-timer!! (and for reading so much :) )

well I hope that helps a bit and doesn't confuse you by a mile...good luck in whatever you do!

I agee with some other posters that there seems to be a lot of TS meals here and they do take longer than you think...but it depends how you want to spend your time.

For MK, I would definately do Fantasyland first as this gets very crowded later (and another vote for Mickey's Philharmagic!) and then get FP for SM and go from there. I have heard the line for Airel is really, really slow, even without a lot of people in front of you. We didn't do it last time, but you may want to have someone stand in that line while someone else goes to get the SM fast passes or the two older kids go on a ride you don't mind missing.

Two years ago on our first trip, we also were only there 3 days. I really felt like we got to see and do alot. My kids were both young, so that eliminated a lot of the big rides for us. We did 1/2 day at DHS, and two days at MK (including a break mid-day one day and sleeping in/pool am the other day). At DHS we did not do a TS and then we did one TS each of the other days.

Thanks so much for all the input so far! To answer some comments/questions...

Okay, Indiana Jones will probably get scrapped then - the boys thought it was a ride rather than a show for some reason, and aren't as interested now anyway.

We do have hopper tickets.

Where would I find info on the Mickey's Philharmagic showtimes? And how long of a show is it?

We'll be there August 13-16.

We thought about doing the princess thing as Askerhaus (sp?) but it got vetoed because of the menu. So we'll try to hit Ariel in fantasyland right when she comes out.

Also, where can we find Belle? And Woody and Buzz Lightyear...I will *never* hear the end of it if we don't see Woody and Buzz. I think that Ariel, Belle, Woody, and Buzz are our four "must meet" characters that don't appear at any of the character meals we are doing (as far as I know).

I'll double-check what all is open during the EMHs.

I'll put more responses in another post. :)

Okay, Indiana Jones will probably get scrapped then - the boys thought it was a ride rather than a show for some reason, and aren't as interested now anyway.

Where would I find info on the Mickey's Philharmagic showtimes? And how long of a show is it?

We thought about doing the princess thing as Askerhaus (sp?) but it got vetoed because of the menu. So we'll try to hit Ariel in fantasyland right when she comes out.

Also, where can we find Belle? And Woody and Buzz Lightyear...I will *never* hear the end of it if we don't see Woody and Buzz. I think that Ariel, Belle, Woody, and Buzz are our four "must meet" characters that don't appear at any of the character meals we are doing (as far as I know).

Belle you can meet in toontown maybe in the judges tent, or during her storybook time in FL at MK

Woody and Buzz you can meet in the Studios by Al's Toy barn

Okay, more responses...

Yes, I agree, we have a LOT of table service restaurants. I agree that one could be cut each day for days 2 and 3.

I just don't know what to cut. NONE of the character meals we have planned are an option for being cut. On day three, I kind of like the suggestion of feeding the kids a quick CS and having an adults-only dinner at Ohana (or somewhere else) after they are with the sitter. But then I think they would really like the atmosphere of Ohana? I dunno...

On day 2, our non-character meals are LeCellier and Coral Reef. Coral Reef is non-negotiable. That is the ONE meal that dh insists on (he's a fish/aquarium nut). He is very flexible about all the other meals, so I'd like to give him this. So we would have to cut LeCellier, which I really wanted to do, but...would it be better to get rid of it?

If we do drop LeCellier, does anyone have good CS suggestions to replace it? (need not be the same type of food)

We are night people, so the kids don't have a huge problem with later meals/nights.

This is so stressful! Trying to hit enough to give such a diverse group of ages all a feeling of a magical experience in only 3 days is tricky.

Thanks again for all the input!

Fantasmic

Day two:
Explore contemporary

Day three:

Departure day:

)

My advice in a nutshell--Cut the extras and Get thee to the parks!

Is there a reason you're staying only three days? Could you add a day or two?

Day 1- I would skip Teppan Edo and get to DHS earlier. Yes, some Disney food is better than others but most of it isn't fantastic and not worth the amount of running around you're planning. EpCot is a large park that takes a LOOOOONG time to get in and out of. Eat at Ohana at the Poly after the swim or eat at Sci Fi or PrimeTime at DHS- We enjoy all 3 and all are fun for kids.

Do your kids really love swimming so much that you want to skip attractions to swim? We swim as much as we want at home so for us Disney pools are good for relaxing and cooling off after time in the parks. They aren't an attraction in themselves.

I would try for an earlier arrival and go straight to DHS with lunch at Sci Fi- a swim break- dinner at Ohana or Prime Time and then DHS for the evening.

Day Two- pretty much similar advice- you need to get to the park earlier. August is hot so morning is better. Chef Mickey's is a family fave but if I couldn't get an earlier time- I'd cut that breakfast. There's not much exploring to do at the Contemp. It's a nice hotel but on a first short trip- the parks are where it's at. I would be at EpCot at opening no matter what.

Day Three- Looks pretty good to me- I will say, If you and your DH are still standing and actually have the energy to go out then::worship: :worship:

Departure Day- Sounds good.

Have fun!

Belle can usually be found in Toon Town Hall of Fame, You have to get in line and there are usually 3 princess that you see all in the same room. (LIne is usually at least 50 minutes.

Ariel Line does take a long time, moves slow.

Philharmagic runs continuously and also has a Fast Pass kiosk, so you can get those if the wait line is long. The show is between 15 and 20 minutes.

AS for Woody and Buzz, you will only be able to see them at HWS, and I am not sure where, I know that they are in the parade, but don't know about a meet and greet with them like you can do with the princesses.

I don't know if this is accurate as I have never tried it, but another Diser told me that you can ask a CM like at your hotel about where a particular character may appear and what time. I don't know if that is true, but it doesn't hurt to try.

Also, if you have a Belle fan, at MK they have Belle's Fairy tale garden, it is a little shady outside garden (very small, so you get close contact), Belle comes out and tells her story, and they choose kids from the audience to help be the characters with her. Then you can line up after the story and she will do autographs and pics. This one does have times, you would have to look at a times guide to find out when to get there, you want to get there about 15-20 minutes early, and to get the best chance of being in the show sit on the right hand side benches on the aisle or in the middle section to the left on the aisle, that is where the helpers come down usually and talk with the kids. My DD got to do it once, and she still talks about it.

Also, on the Castle Fourcourt is the Dreams Come True Show, also a show with specific times has 4 of the princesses and the princes, peter pan, wendy, capt hook, mickey, minnie, donald, goofy, malificent. It is a really great show with fireworks, etc. We usually watch it at least a couple of times DD 3 and DS love it.

AS for Woody and Buzz, you will only be able to see them at HWS, and I am not sure where, I know that they are in the parade, but don't know about a meet and greet with them like you can do with the princesses.

Actually, we have seen both Buzz and Woody in the MK...not together, but we saw both. Buzz we have seen several times at his ride. Woody we found in frontier land...there was even a outdoor cowboy type show and Woody and Jessie.

The Ariel line does take FOREVER...it is HOT and long.

Fantasmic

Day two:
Explore contemporary

Day three:

Departure day:

Hi,

Are you on the deluxe dining plan?

If not, I'd cut some of the meals. You are paying big bucks for the park tickets, and seeing the attractions and spending time in the parks is the reason most people start out dreaming of a Disney trip.

Remember that "traveling around the world" takes time. Also, it's rare to be seated upon arrival at the restaurants, even with ADR's.

Could you add another day to your tickets, and tour the parks on departure day?

If not, I would not be spending any extra time at the resort/s, except for on departure day. (You can even return to the pool after breakfast.)

And on arrival day, I would go straight to the parks after checking in. (You can check-in before your room is ready.)

To make the best of your time in the parks...

Use fastpasses, try to always have one in hand. (Fast passes for some attractions will be gone earlier in the day.)

Be willing to split-up, now and then, so the 2 younger children don't spend a lot of time waiting in lines for attractions they can't/won't be able to do.

Example - Swipe all 6 cards for Space Mountain fast passes. Return at FP time and have DH and 2 older kids ride SM, while you take kids on Buzzlight year, then switch... you and older kids ride SM, while DH takes younger kids on something else.

Have a magical trip! :wizard:

First, have to say you have done a great job trying to tackle a momumental feat! We have 4 kids also and similar ages (13, 12, 7, and 3).

You have a lot you want to fit in and you asked if it is possible, I do not think you can do what you have outlined. Travel to and from parks takes time...sometimes an hour. Sit down meals are wonderful, but they take a long time as well. Even with a reservation you usually have a wait to be seated (10 to 15 minutes) and the meal itself is almost always more than an hour and often closer to two (especially at a place like Coral Reef).

I would eliminate some of the meals...no more than two a day. I really do not think it is possible to eat at GF buffet at 4:30 and then at Ohana at
9:30.

Also, I would get to the parks first and swim later. We love swimming, but on such a short trip I would not create blocks of swimming time when you could be in a park. Go right to a park that first day at 11. Also on day two, do not waste valuable first morning time at the pool...get to Mk at rope drop.

I think it is possible that you can get much of want you want accomplished, but it is going to take a careful plan to do it.

I wouldn't bank on seeing woody and buzz at Mk, I would if they are a must see go to the toy barn if that is where they are at like the PP suggested.

I would drop Le Cellier, it has mixed reviews on allears.net and some other places, even on these boards a little love hate relationship.

I agree about parks in the morning and pools in the afternoon or evening. I live in FL and it is HOT in August.

I also agree that 1900 park fare at 4:30 and ohana at 9:30 is very close, you won't be hungry. You will snack at parks, you can't help it, and even if you don't the heat can sap your appetite to eat this often, b/c you have to consume so much water to stay hydrated.

Also, nothing to see at contemporary except Chef Mickey's which you will be at, so hop on that monorail as soon as you are done.

Skip ohana CS the kids and make late ressies at California Grill, it is a signature dining experience 15th floor of the Contemporary. If you make ressies for the time of the fireworks at Mk you can see and hear them from the restaurant. OR you can move Coral Reef to this night if you want to go out with all the adults in your party.

We find with all the great shows at MK and rides there, it is an all day park. If the rides that you have are "must do's" and each of them have a 30 minute wait time which some will have longer, some shorter so that is just an estimates

10 must-do'sx 30 minute wait=5 hours
Meet Ariel AT LEAST 40 minutes (probably more)
Meet Belle at least 40 minutes as well in toon town

This equals about 7 hours

Your plan for Day 3:
Pooh breakfast at Crystal Palace at 8:15.
Not a ton of advantage getting to park early b/c you won't get out of the breakfast until probably 10:00 so park will be open.

10-12:30 is only 2.5 hours

Done with dinner at 6:00 then travel time, you'll be in the park at 6:30

6:30-8:30 is 2 hours

Then back to room, where kids will be left with babysitter to sleep and Mom and Dad get to go out alone for several hours.

So you see you only have about 4-5 hours scheduled in the park now and at least 7 hours of rides as must do's and that estimate for the rides doesn't even include walking time to the different rides, the fantasyland rides, any shows.

I would cut out something, probably 1900 park fare, since you are going there for breakfast already on your last day.

Just my thoughts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter