Can anyone confirm? The yeti is working again?

We were at AK last week...I rode EE 4 times and the Yeti was very easy to see. I would swear it was moving but it could have been the lighting. I did think they moved it closer to the track somehow (from the way I remember it on past trips), but who knows. Whatever is different, if anything, we all saw "her", clearly, this time around !

Last year the Yeti was working during the second week of December.

If you haven't read this entire thread or threads like it, I think you are going to have to define "working".

Some people post that its working but they don't realize that what people are talking about is a 20 foot tall animatronic Yeti that used to swoop down at you. Not the projection on the wall showing the Yeti tearing up the track. Also some claim the animatronic moves because Disney has done an OK job with fans and strobe lights to make it appear to move a little, but people who have seen it in full A mode know that when it moved it really moved.

Yeah. We were there the second week of December. She was just as she had been every year prior.

If you ride Expedition Everest and you see the Yeti moving, then it must mean one of these people is on your train.

6a00d83455629c69e2014e870130eb970d-250wi

Robert-Iger-Adventurers-Clu.jpg

wd.gif

I don't have anything to add just that this is my favorite thread to read. It has the best quality comical replies than any other thread on dis.

Everyone keep up the good work! :)

Also the yeti is female? Just kidding figured I would stir up the pot a bit so I have some reading material later today!

Thanks!
Jimi

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I rode it on July 22nd. It sure appeared to be working. It was certainly more than I've seen previous times. It must've been the lights. :scratchin

*No, I didn't read the entire thread.

I rode it on August 22 and it seemed to swing its arm or at least move in that part of the body. It was a lot closer to the track. The last time I rode it was in May of 2012, and back then it was higher up and didn't seem to move or even be that intimidating.

I rode it on August 22 and it seemed to swing its arm or at least move in that part of the body. It was a lot closer to the track. The last time I rode it was in May of 2012, and back then it was higher up and didn't seem to move or even be that intimidating.

As posted above its not moving but it does seem like there are reports that they may have either adjusted its height or modified the lighting or both.

Ill report back in December. :thumbsup2

I have seen some older (relatively speaking) videos where it actually moved, but was it scary? Changed the ride a lot?

If my memory serves me correctly, they rotated Disco Yeti nearly 90 degrees around March of last year but it still does not move.

I have seen some older (relatively speaking) videos where it actually moved, but was it scary? Changed the ride a lot?

The ride itself isn't better IMO- it is still a great coaster. For me, it was an overall added thrill to have the Yeti roar and reach out toward the train. Definitely added to the storyline and theming of the ride.

However, as is shown in several posts on this thread, lots of people don't even SEE the Yeti in the cave, because you go by so fast or because their eyes are closed or because they weren't looking at the right spot at the right time. So for them, it probably doesn't matter.

And there is the matter of the number of people who claim the Yeti is moving when it isn't, because they don't know what the original effect even looked like. It really only did it's "thing" for such a short amount of time, and comparatively so few people got to experience the full effect that most are fine with "Disco Mode" of strobe lighting and a fur-ruffling fan.

Bottom line- for those who got to experience the full Yeti animatronic effect, yes, the ride is the worse for it not working. For those who haven't, it may not make any difference at all.

It sounds like you may be half right.

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2011/07/disco-or-diva-the-saga-of-expedition-everests-yeti/

"Oh, and that’s not a typographical error.* Joe Rohde habitually refers to the Everest yeti as a “her,” and since she is largely his creation, it seems only polite to accept his choice of gender.* Besides, who would want to check a 22-foot tall, 20,000-pound ape to determine its biological specifics?* Some cast members, in fact, have dubbed the creature Betty."

Do you notice that on that web site there's not a single link to a place where Joe Rohde refers to it as a "her"?

Unlike here:
http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...especific/eng/nontheme/passholder/MMFeb06.pdf

As Joe puts it: "The premise is that we, the Guests, are on an expedition. We've arrived on this particular day in this little Tibetan town in the foothills of the Himalayas. And the little trekking company that we've engaged is going to get us on this train, which they've just refurbished, to get us to Everest really, really fast."

"But to do that, we have to go through the realm of the Yeti. And traditional Tibetan thought holds the Yeti to be the protector of the hidden and forbidden reaches of the Himalayas. So the Yeti is doing his job as defender of the mountains when we encounter him. And it ends up that we have to escape from his wrath and make our way back to town in this high-speed escape adventure."

Or here:
http://www.keystothemagic.com/DisneyDesigns/Everest.php

But not just any old Yeti for Disney! "There are few cold climate primates in the world" said Rhode, "among them the snow monkeys of Japan and the golden rhesus monkey found in Katmandu. These would be the inspiration – a strange haunting face covered in hair with deep dark eyes and sharp teeth. It would look spooky but more ape-like. It would be a dominant male. Its size would be an adaptation to its cold surroundings. When Sherpas (the Nepalese guides) were shown photos of orang-utans they said it was the picture of a yeti. To them he is reddish brown – it's only Europeans who made him white!"

That kind of disproves that Joe "habitually refers" to the yeti as a her. I can also provide several links to interviews with other Imagineers, as well as official Disney documentation, that specifies the yeti as a male. If anybody can do the same where the yeti is specified as a female, I will gladly concede the point.

In the meantime, I am through debating the issue. But I will continue to point out that the yeti is a male whenever it's on topic to the conversation. :)

I was there last week and I was shocked when we went by the Yeti and thought - OMG - its working!! It didn't swing down at us but it was definitely much lower than it has been in the past.

I am pretty sure some sort of adjustment was made

Do you notice that on that web site there's not a single link to a place where Joe Rohde refers to it as a "her"?

Unlike here:
http://adisneyworld.disney.go.com/m...especific/eng/nontheme/passholder/MMFeb06.pdf

Or here:
http://www.keystothemagic.com/DisneyDesigns/Everest.php

That kind of disproves that Joe "habitually refers" to the yeti as a her. I can also provide several links to interviews with other Imagineers, as well as official Disney documentation, that specifies the yeti as a male. If anybody can do the same where the yeti is specified as a female, I will gladly concede the point.

In the meantime, I am through debating the issue. But I will continue to point out that the yeti is a male whenever it's on topic to the conversation. :)

I assumed that the yeti was male as far as the story was concerned. But the machine was referred to as "her" as most men do refer to inanimate objects as female when they have a personal connection to it. (such as a car)

Obviously, this is a very touchy subject so I'll just leave it at that.

I assumed that the yeti was male as far as the story was concerned. But the machine was referred to as "her" as most men do refer to inanimate objects as female when they have a personal connection to it. (such as a car)

Obviously, this is a very touchy subject so I'll just leave it at that.

Until someone posts a photo of the Yeti's hair pulled away from it's, errrr, ahmmm, private area, we won't REALLY know if the Yeti is a Betty or a Bobby. Course if we just call the Yetti, Bobby, then we don't need the photographic proof of Bobby's gender. :rotfl2:

*** I *** for one, will NOT be pulling back Bobby's strategically placed hair to discover the truth! :rotfl:

Volunteers?

Later,
Dan

Until someone posts a photo of the Yeti's hair pulled away from it's, errrr, ahmmm, private area, we won't REALLY know if the Yeti is a Betty or a Bobby. Course if we just call the Yetti, Bobby, then we don't need the photographic proof of Bobby's gender. :rotfl2:

*** I *** for one, will NOT be pulling back Bobby's strategically placed hair to discover the truth! :rotfl:

Volunteers?

Later,
Dan

"Well, would you look at that? Scraps is a boy dog!"

I think we should ask Betty what she wears under her skirt or sundress! ;)

I believe now days we have to ask him/her what pronoun he/she prefers to be addressed by regardless of factory installed equipment. :stir:

Not that I would go off topic or anything. :rolleyes1

I was at DAK in July 2012 and July 2013. I went with the same friend both times. When we went on EE in July 2013 we thought something looked different with the yeti. In 2012 my friend and I could swear that the yeti was standing to the right and had the disco lights on it. This year when we went the yeti was up above us and had the fans and lighter lighting but you could see it very well.

We gotta get Matt, Cliff, Renae and Bobo out into the woods, do some wood knocks and a few calls, that'll not only get the Yeti to move, but ITS response will tell us if IT is male of female.

Of course, Bob Segar would be singing "all the same old cliché's, is that a woman or a man?"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter