• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can anyone confirm? The yeti is working again?

They should remove the Yeti and put in a giant animatronic Joe Rhode

I'm going to have to agree to disagree.

Leave the body, replace the head with Bobo.

images

1) Lends credibility to the Yeti/'Squatch relationship.

B) Much scarier.

It's an unnamed figure who they completely ignored the backstory for and arbitrarily assigned the wrong gender to. It may be "picky" but I have respect for the Imagineers and the elaborate backstory they created for Expedition Everest and the yeti. And in that backstory, he is described as a dominant male.

Does calling him Betty affect guests' enjoyment of the ride? Perhaps not. But as I said before, people come to the DIS to get accurate information. Why have them believe a falsehood when it's a simple matter to give them the facts? :)

It sounds like you may be half right.

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2011/07/disco-or-diva-the-saga-of-expedition-everests-yeti/

"Oh, and that’s not a typographical error.* Joe Rohde habitually refers to the Everest yeti as a “her,” and since she is largely his creation, it seems only polite to accept his choice of gender.* Besides, who would want to check a 22-foot tall, 20,000-pound ape to determine its biological specifics?* Some cast members, in fact, have dubbed the creature Betty."

1) Not working.
2) VERY doubtful for full-future-functioning.
3) There is a MAJOR structural design flaw!
4) MAJOR.
5) To operate the Yeti could cause a catastrophic disaster.
6) And, this is not an understatement.
7) To repair Yeti would require a major shutdown of the ride.

NOTE: The "mountain" is actually three separate structures build
in-and-around each other. In order to get to the Yeti superstructure,
portions of the ride & mountain must be dismantled. Not too much
hope in that. So, The Yeti functions only partially. They are trying to
make it work with other movements, but not the same ones as when
the ride opened.

I too have heard it's MAJOR flaw.

MAJOR.

It sounds like you may be half right.

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2011/07/disco-or-diva-the-saga-of-expedition-everests-yeti/

"Oh, and that’s not a typographical error.* Joe Rohde habitually refers to the Everest yeti as a “her,” and since she is largely his creation, it seems only polite to accept his choice of gender.* Besides, who would want to check a 22-foot tall, 20,000-pound ape to determine its biological specifics?* Some cast members, in fact, have dubbed the creature Betty."

So her daddy calls her a she hmmm...

Has anyone addresssed- if it's such a major flaw in foundation is the ride itself a risk? Or is her foundation that didnt cure separate and wouldn't be an issue for the coaster part?

So her daddy calls her a she hmmm...

Has anyone addresssed- if it's such a major flaw in foundation is the ride itself a risk? Or is her foundation that didnt cure separate and wouldn't be an issue for the coaster part?

I've read reports and seen YouTube videos that say the ride has 3 independent structures: 1 for the ride, 1 for the mountain, and 1 for the Yeti. The ride and mountain structures are working as designed but they found problems in the Yeti structure. Everything I've seen says there is no current risk from the Yetis structure but if they continued to use the Yeti the problem will get worse and worse until eventually the Yeti structure would fail.

All 3 are completely independent from each other because the ride structure has to flex due to the moving train, the mountain structure can't flex because it would crack the concrete facade, and the Yeti structure has to flex due to the Yeti movement, but has to flex separate of the train structure.

My problem, as it stands now, is the use of the strobe light. Just LIGHT THE DANG THING UP for cryin' out loud. Just because it doesn't move doesn't mean it isn't impressive looking all on its own. Light it up so people can see it.

They could always light it and put an oscillating fan to make her hair sway back and forth.

Scary

Better than what they are doing with her now...which is essentially nothing.

My wife (despite riding EE several times) has never seem her

Her eyes are always blinking or something, just as the strobes flash

My wife (despite riding EE several times) has never seem her

Her eyes are always blinking or something, just as the strobes flash

This is why I am thinking they have somehow repositioned her. The friend I was riding with had ridden several times before I pointed the yeti out to her. She had never noticed the thing. When we rode this past week, it was so noticeable (low to the track) that I shrieked and involuntarily ducked. After our ride, she asked if they had done something different with the yeti.

It is NOT moving, but my best guess would be they somehow lowered it to/near "swipe" position and then parked it. It was CLOSE, and you could not miss it. Not a lighting/strobe difference.

Maybe B2 mode? Lol

So Betty is hanging low these days? Great. My five year old is going to ride for the first time next week. Should be interesting! I love the ride and am nervous about seeing her more up close and personal. Dd reaction is going to be dangerous to my ears!

But at least she's making an impact now! What caused it to take 8 years to figure "hey what if we tilt her a bit?!" Out?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter