Can a Newbie jump right in to a 7 night cruise?

DeannaMKB

Mouseketeer
I am disappointed the 3/4/5 itineraries for 2011 were not announced today. I am thinking I may book a 7 night Mexican Riviera in the meantime in case the Dream prices are outrageous or the 3/4/5s don't start up right away in 2011 or whatever! However, we have never cruised before. Is it safe for us to jump right in to a 7 nighter. What if the motion bothers us? What if the tight quarters is too much? Is there any chance of us finding it too long? Could we become bored? Hope you know what I mean...should we be starting out with a 3 or 4 nighter? Any advice would be appreciated!

Sure jump right in the water is great! Most people that have done the 3-4 days cruises were so disappointed that they did not do the 7th.
as for sea sickness, do you or anyone else have a problem with that? The big ships have great stabilizers so not much movement. You can also ask for a RX from your Doctor for the patch. It works much better than the Dramamine. You just put it on the day before wand Voilah :cool1:

WE find the 7 day cruise even to short for us. We love the 10 days at least. But we combine WDW or DL for a week or so and feel complete. The Disney dream will be doing most likelyy the short cruises. So if you wanted to do WDW and the dream than that would work .

The MR cruise is fun. Can be a little cold till you get past the Baja at certain times of the year. We have done the MR cruise 2 times.

We have done 7 disney cruises and the kids and us have never been unhappy. Except for the 4 day one we did. Again to short.

We are going to do the Alaska cruise since the Dream will most likely be on short trips. Also be sure to book the first day of the cruise. As soon as the phones open. I get up and am on the phone at 5am (Ca. time)....this way you will get the best prices because they will start going up fast.

Have a rgeat trip what ever you decide! :thumbsup2:cool1:

Yes oh yes just in with both feet and enjoy the waters!
You'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know we did!!!!
Houzer

Good question. My experience -- first cruise was a 7 nighter - absolutely loved it!! But, that was before we had kids. When we finally decided to cruise with kids we went with a 4 night. I wanted to do a 7 night, but my older son tends to suffer from motion sickness so we were afraid that he wouldn't be able to handle the constant movement of the ship. But, he did awesome! Never felt ill at all. And, now we're doing a 7 night in 8 days! So, my thinking (and this is just my 2 cents) is that if you have no history of motion sickness in the family -- you're probably good to go and have a great 7 night cruise! If you do tend to get sick in the car, on rides, in the elevator, or where ever - try a 3 or 4 night. Then book a 2nd cruise while on board and get the discount on the 7 night!:thumbsup2

Our first cruise was a 14 night in 2005.
We did a 7 night in 2006.
We did two 7 night back-to-back in August because 7 days wasn't enough!!!

So...YES...jump right in on a 7 night....you'll love it!

Our first cruise was the 15 night PC Repo last May and we loved it so much that we're all booked up for the 14 night TA Repo next September! :goodvibes

The 3 or 4 day cruises just don't interest me that much. :snooty:

We did! We started with a 7 night in 2003 and never looked back. :)

Our first cruise was the 15 night PC Repo last May and we loved it so much that we're all booked up for the 14 night TA Repo next September! :goodvibes

The 3 or 4 day cruises just don't interest me that much. :snooty:

Hi tink, too,

Our first was WBPC in 2008 and now we're booked on the 14 night TA in Sep, also.

Several of our friends who had done cruising before us were concerned that we were taking such a long cruise for our first - but we loved it. It depends on whether you're adaptable enough to cope with unexpected issues that may (or MAY NOT) arise during your cruise.

:cutie:

I am disappointed the 3/4/5 itineraries for 2011 were not announced today. I am thinking I may book a 7 night Mexican Riviera in the meantime in case the Dream prices are outrageous or the 3/4/5s don't start up right away in 2011 or whatever! However, we have never cruised before. Is it safe for us to jump right in to a 7 nighter. What if the motion bothers us? What if the tight quarters is too much? Is there any chance of us finding it too long? Could we become bored? Hope you know what I mean...should we be starting out with a 3 or 4 nighter? Any advice would be appreciated!

Go for it! We did... our first ever cruise was with Disney on their 14 night! Panama Canal cruise in August, 2005! We never cruised before, but my sister-in-law got us a great price on an inside cabin and we went! We LOVED it! Only felt the motion on the first night and made the mistake of taking a dramamine after I had a rum runner... needless to say, I don't remember dessert that night! There is soooo much to do on the Disney ships that you should go as long as you can on your first cruise. A 3 nighter would be a shame... you'll wish you could stay on. Have a great cruise whatever you pick! Happy cruisin' ! :dance3:

Good question. My experience -- first cruise was a 7 nighter - absolutely loved it!! But, that was before we had kids. When we finally decided to cruise with kids we went with a 4 night. I wanted to do a 7 night, but my older son tends to suffer from motion sickness so we were afraid that he wouldn't be able to handle the constant movement of the ship. But, he did awesome! Never felt ill at all. And, now we're doing a 7 night in 8 days! So, my thinking (and this is just my 2 cents) is that if you have no history of motion sickness in the family -- you're probably good to go and have a great 7 night cruise! If you do tend to get sick in the car, on rides, in the elevator, or where ever - try a 3 or 4 night. Then book a 2nd cruise while on board and get the discount on the 7 night!:thumbsup2

I totally agree! Definetely rebook onboard.. great savings!

I sure hope it's a good idea, we're booked on our first cruise in Oct and we went with a 7 nighter!

I get motion sickness when I ride in the back of cars sometimes but on the cruise never ... go with the 7 or more

When we did a 4 for our honeymoon I was crying walking off the boat i just wasn't ready to leave, even a week ago coming off a 7 i could of stayed much longer even in an inside stateroom with a pack n play and stroller where we could hardly walk and a 3 month old. The size of the room is not that big of a deal you spend so much time outside the room.
here are some pics of our inside stateroom on the magic room 6607
P8310167.jpg
P8310168.jpg

Just dropping my two-cents in...My first cruise was in 2001...a 7-Night Eastern and we LOVED it! We left crying, wanting it to be longer! :)

Wow! Thanks everybody! That is so helpful! None of us has ever had trouble with motion sickness and since I bawl my face off every time I leave a Disney park, I'm sure 7 nights will not be enough for me! Thank you for your advice! I think I will book a 7 nighter when they open up. I am thinking the MR just because I think it would be easy to add just a couple of days on a Disneyland whereas it's harder to spend too little time at WDW. The only thing that disappoints me about the MR is no CC! How do you think that will be??? I have no experience with it but everybody seems to think it is such a highlight. Are we missing a lot if we cruise with DCL but don't see CC???

I had the same reservations that you do about jumping right into a 7 night cruise...but I absolutely loved it!! A little bit of an issue with the motion, but some Bonine took care of that. Tight quarters?? Not so much...we had a category 10 with the split bath for 2 adults and 2 teens. We were not in the room much...it was fine. I cried...I didn't want to leave! You will love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter