• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can a mobility scooter be financed?

PeachPrincess

Earning My Ears
Does anyone know where I can get a mobility scooter and pay payments? My mobility issues are getting in the way of life. I have gotten to the point that I don't want to go anywhere or do anything that requires any amount of standing or walking because it leaves me so exhausted. I have fibromyalgia and arthritis and it's getting worse every year. I am not able to get out and enjoy life, and it's not fair to my family either. However I don't have any health insurance and sure don't have $1500 to shell out on a scooter. I can pay payments though.

Medicare will pay for EVC that can be used in home -- so like the 3 wheelers and even the electric wheelchairs. Have you tried to get on disability due to the fibro and arthritis? Fibro is an illness recognized by SS now. Your Dr. will be your best advocate so maybe it is time for an appointment to see how he can help. Do you have a handicapped parking tag?

The best place to check to see if EVC can be financed is a mobility store. When my husband wanted to have an extra electric wheelchair we spent about 2 months looking in the sunday paper until just the right one came along. Not sure what we paid but it has been a great back up in case his regular one should need a repair. He is confined to a wheel chair and feels better having a spare.

There are definitely financing options out there.

I'd contact some of the companies that sell them. If you work through a local DME (Durable Medical Equipment) provider, they may already have a policy. They may also have a used scooter you can purchase at a lower price. I've bought used scooters and as long as you make sure the battery is okay, they work just as well as a new one.

Definitely some of the online sellers (SpinLife, for example) do offer financing. I don't know their long-term financing, but one of the banners on their website when I looked now was for an option called "BillMeLater" where you buy now and then if you pay in total within 6 months, there's no interest. The online sellers may also be cheaper than a local DME. You can get a Pride Go-Go Elite, which many people here use at home and like, for under $1000 on several websites I've looked at this morning, for example. The drawback with online is whether you'll have access to local service should there be a problem. SpinLife does have a pay-for home service if there are issues (they claim they'll also work on DME bought elsewhere). I also know when a used power wheelchair I had needed a new battery, I was able to get one of the local DMEs to come out (not all will do that, but this was Hudson Seating & Mobility, which I think is a national company). Neither type of servicing is cheap, but it does mean you have options.

I applied for ss but they turned me down because I am still able to work because I have an at home desk job, so I don't know. I found one company online that will do financing but my credit wasn't good enough. So oh well. They offered lay away with 10% down. Guess I'll just have to wait till tax time and try to find a used one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter