• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Can a 14 year old leave ship in port alone?

I just can't imagine not worrying he would get lost and/or miss the boat!! Now CC would be more likely since it would be harder for that to happen. But a busy port?? Scary! I always assumed those forms were to let the kids go with another family. Never thought about just letting the kids off alone. Of course a responsible 17 yr old at a quiet island port is one thing. A 14 year old at a port where they can easily get lost? No way! (but that's just me). For those with kids they can trust to do this, I salute you! Lol.

I'd love to hear what grandma thinks, lol. What a cool teacher to ask questions for him. :)

Yes, if you take the child with you the first time to sign the form. You can choose wich ports they can/can't get off in.

There's a HUGE difference between your neighborhood and a foreign country with a ship waiting to leave.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

That would be my concern. The ship leaving. Those youtube videos of the ship leaving passengers are...ummm..entertaining as long as it's not my family. :thumbsup2

Where was this?

My parents were married when they were 19 and 20, and my father needed the permission of his parents. I worked at 13 too, but not on the docks at a port city of a foreign country.

I think the 14 year old has grand ideas about the cruise, but I'm sure his grandmother has other ideas.

Nancy

I think Kansas allows 14 year old girls to marry with their parents permission.

Mike

I was probably one of those children who could've handled Nassau on my own at 14 no problem.

MY CHILDREN?? Not a snowballest chance in Hades. Heck.. I'd be worried if DH went off the ship on his own. ::yes:: I've seen how that man reacts in a panic situation and I am not reassured. :lmao:

Now if we're talking about a supervised DCL teen excursion; different story entirely.

Would be Ok with the Disney Grand Cayman island tour, turtle farm , and swim with sting rays. On a bus between all points , and trip to ref had excellent guides. Groups goes from ship to bus.

As noted after this, there is a form that you can fill out to allow him to do this. It lists each port and you can check which ones he can get off the ship on his own. I planned to get this done early in the cruise for DS since last cruise he stayed in the club late and wanted to sleep in on CC day. We got a form in our room on the first or second sea day. I filled it out and went to GS to turn it in. DS was in line for pictures but the GS CM said they didn't need to see him. They made a copy for me so that he would have it with him just for backup. He ended up getting off the ship with us in CC since we arrived later than we have in the past, but that is the only port I would let him get off the ship alone. This form would be a great way for a child to get off the ship with another family to do an excursion and walk around the port, however, IMO.

I think this is their main reason for the form. DD also wanted me to fill out the form for CC in case she wanted to get off before or after us or if she wanted to get back on the ship without us. She even found the information on the navigator herself when I didn't know if she could do it or not. We never did get the form though as she came and went when I did.

Good point by people in regards to exchange students and such. Kids in High School take field trips that do not have constant adult supervision all the time. If my oldest didn't have at least some experiences without adults I think I would have had a much harder time when she went off to college this past fall. 18 is not a magic age. I do think I would plan ahead of time if i were going to let my child get off a ship (that has a departure time and will leave you behind!) without me and would definitely use cell phones. But again, I think it is mainly used to allow someone to get off with another family.

What happens if the 14 year old misses the boat?

Is he responsible to have a credit card and passport to fly to the next port by himself?

-Paul

I know there is a form for minors traveling with other family members other than the parents, but it would really surprise me that Disney allowed minors under 18 to get off the boat even if the parents’ consent to it. I know most parents would not do this even if their child is mature enough to wonder on their own. It’s more of a precaution in the event of something happening especially in a place one is not familiar with. If adults have been left behind because they fail to be back on time, I do not even want to imagine a minor staying behind in another country. That would be a nightmare! I would not do it, better safe than sorry. Also, while accidents can happen anywhere. It is one thing for a person to let their teen to get off alone at CC, another one entirely in another country. I could somewhat understand Disney allowing this at CC, but still alarming at other ports.

And also, if you have a teen around the age of 14 or so and you are saying you would never let them get off the ship without you, well, I understand and think that should be respected 100%.

If, however, you do not have a child near that age, then might I suggest you wait until you do, and see how you feel then.

I know that if I had looked at my 8, 9, 10 yr old son, I would probably have felt exactly the same way "No way, would I let him go alone!!". But with time and age and experience, sometimes your opinions may change. I know mine have about a lot of things throughout my parenting career!

My son was NEVER going to shave, or have an Adam's apple, or go to HS, or have a job, or know people I don't know, or make snarky comments on FB when he was "my baby" at 5 years old, lol!

DS12 and DS16. NO WAY they would get off the ship by themselves. We let them go back to the ship on their own, but that's the extent of it.

I have a level of trust on the ship. But Nassau or Cozumel or Cayman is another story. When they turn 18 maybe...

"Cinder" Ella's Mom said:
Hi! I am planning my Fantasy trip for this summer and a student of mine just rushed in and said he and his grandma will be sailing the Fantasy a few weeks before us. He is 14 and really responsible, but was worried that his grandma (who is not super-mobile) may not want to get off the ship in port. Can he get off and explore a port unaccompanied? Would he be allowed to book a ship-sponsored excursion to Sting Ray City without his grandma? I had no idea how to answer his questions, but I know my Disers will! Thanks!

I don't think a fourteen years old should get off the ship by themselves. Not only that, but Disney probably wouldn't allow it. Maybe there's a waiver for it, but I would certainly question whether a fourteen could handle being off the ship by themselves. What if something happens? Can he handle a rough situation? Or what if he doesn't make it back on the ship? That's just my opinion.

Although there were always be differing opinions as to whether a 14 year old should be allowed to do this, OP rest assured that permission form is available. Like I said I let my 12 and 11 year olds do it on CC and the form had several additional ports that you could give permission for. Since you are just inquiring, it's info that you can pass along to the grandma and she can decide what is best for the child.

I don't quite know why so many people are freaking out over the 14 yr old wandering the streets alone.

I just don't think that is likely to happen or would be something even he would want.

I thought he wanted to go on a Disney organised excursion. Surely that means that he would be with a guide or CM at all times and also with a group of other passengers. I know if I was one of those other passengers I would make sure he was ok. I imagine he could even meet some of them before going on the excursion.

As other people have mentioned he should be able to go with a teen group to Castaway Cay as well.

Regardless I am sure he will have an awesome time.

I don't quite know why so many people are freaking out over the 14 yr old wandering the streets alone.

I just don't think that is likely to happen or would be something even he would want.

I thought he wanted to go on a Disney organised excursion. Surely that means that he would be with a guide or CM at all times and also with a group of other passengers. I know if I was one of those other passengers I would make sure he was ok. I imagine he could even meet some of them before going on the excursion.

As other people have mentioned he should be able to go with a teen group to Castaway Cay as well.

Regardless I am sure he will have an awesome time.

While being the right thing to do, it is not others responsibility to "make sure he is ok". They're there to enjoy themselves, not babysit. Also, this isn't ABD, where you have Disney CM's at all times. Outside of Castaway Cay, these excursions are mostly with unknown strangers from that respective place. In Nassau, it's not suggested that an adult wander around without someone else, let alone a child. In recent history, people have been robbed, a woman raped, and a CM from Royal Caribbean murdered.

I left for a year abroad when I was 16 and traveled around Europe with little to no supervision. It was a wonderful experience. At 14 I would have been fine off on my own. My sons? I doubt it. Like the OP stated you have to know your own children and if they are mature/responsible enough. As a labor and delivery nurse I have seen (unfortunately) many 13, 14, 15... year olds in labor. Many handle it MUCH better than "mature" women. We are all different.

And there are 5 year olds who wander the street and make it home safely. It may happen, but it still isn't a good idea IMO.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

DS12 and DS16. NO WAY they would get off the ship by themselves. We let them go back to the ship on their own, but that's the extent of it.

I have a level of trust on the ship. But Nassau or Cozumel or Cayman is another story. When they turn 18 maybe...

I am reluctant to let DD14 roam the ship without me, let alone in a foreign port!

I consider myself a pretty free range parent but I would not let my 14 year old get off the ship alone in a strange place. Mostly I would be worried about them losing track of time or getting lost and not getting back to the ship in time. As for excursions, I would be shocked if there is an excursion that allows an unaccompanied 14 year old to participate. That has "liability" written all over it.

I would not have allowed my twins at 14 to roam a port alone. Too many things could happen. Missing the ship alone is a major concern.

So for all those doubting the stated experiences or people on this thread, please refer to the official disney cruise line website, under FAQs, section Ports of Call, question "How do I get on and Off the Ship when it docks at port?". It specifically addresses minors leaving the ship unaccompanied.

Adult goes to the gangway to provide a signature authorization.

So for everyone who "doubts" Disney would allow this, you are wrong. After reading this I realize I now must climb off my high horse...oof rough landing.

Also, for those doubting that teens can go on specific DCL excursions, check the DCL website for port adventures in Juneau, Cabo, and CC. There are 3 specific teen only excursions that those 14-17 can sign up for with parental approval.

I'm so annoying, even to myself! He

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter