• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cam's New Lease on Life Journal (comments welcome!)

Firm holiday party tonight so I have to be careful today.

B: coffee w/creamer (1)
L: bagel w/tiny bit of cream cheese (didn't have time to eat it for Bfast) (7)

Lots of water to hold me over until the party. I don't know what the menu is, but I know there is salad. I am hoping for lots of protein and strength to avoid pasta and other carbs.

Did 60 minutes on the bike last night, mostly because I was lazy and wanted to read a book and not put out much effort. But it was also good to do because I didn't want to push the issue with my foot and I'd been in heels all day. I did almost 12 miles in 60 minutes and burned over 300 calories. Yeah, I think that will cover the cookie and some of the pretzels, nuts & chips I "grazed" on last night. That is not a good mindset.

I am feeling pretty stressed about everything that is going on and that is always a real trigger for me with food. I rationalize it when I eat though, and tell myself I have exercised and burned off calories and many times, my stomach is actually "growling" even right after I eat. That is a very strange phenomenon. I'd like to get back into the habit of waiting 15 minutes to eat whatever it is that I want and then deciding anew whether I want it.

The 1/2 marathon is 3 weeks from Saturday. There is no way I will be at my weight goal by then, but I am determined not to gain before I step off that start line. It is interesting to me how I have moments of great optimism and confidence and other moments of pessimism and despair. I've never undertaken a goal that required me to "go the distance". College and grad school just didn't seem to have the same intensity and importance to me as this journey has had. I'm not sure what it is. Maybe because everyone always thought I was smart and that achieving my career objective wasn't such a huge challenge. But I think that this is something so out of character for me, something physical rather than cerebral. I even find myself minimizing the event itself, saying I am "just walking" it. Intellectually, I know it is not an easy task and I know how hard I have worked to train to the required pace and I know the distance is significant. But that negative little voice keeps saying "it's not like its the full marathon" and "it's not like you are running it." Not sure if my brain is playing these little tricks so that I will be less intimidated or if I am ridiculing how important this is to me. All I know is that I have become so dependent on the positive vibes of the training thread and the confidence everyone expresses toward me, as well as the overall attitude that what we are undertaking is big and the accomplishment will be significant. I just have to work to keep a positive attitude and not to slack off on the training, and maybe that just requires that I not minimize this.

Hopefully, 4 weeks from now, it will all be a very happy memory of a great experience and great accomplishment. I cannot even fathom the alternative.

Food yesterday:
B: coffee w/creamer (1)
L: bagel w/cream cheese (7)
L2: garden salad w/hard boiled egg (2)
D (firm party): veggies (0); 1 swipe of dip (.5); 3 cheese cubes (2); steamed veggies w/butter (2); 2 slices turkey (4)
Dessert (at home): fat free chocolate muffin (4); lite cool whip (1); pretzels (.5)

Food today:
B: turkey on english muffin (5); coffee w/creamer (1)

Hi Cam!!!!

You are doing great. It is very hard to believe that your 1/2 marathon is in 3 weeks. You are going to do great. I just know it.

Hope you are having a wonderful Thursday! Keep up the great work!

Just wanted to post here about my 1/2 marathon training, and the long walk that was Friday for the final long walk before the taper and then the 1/2 on 1/7/06.

Okay, so about my LW -- We went to the state park only to find the track so iced over that we couldn't even take 3 steps on it. So, we drove home, bundled up, and went out through the neighborhoods. I wanted to kick DH -- he chooses these meandering courses with no concern for hills, etc. For example after one very prolonged uphill section, we ended up at the highest elevation point in Delaware! Then, he had us cutting through the Target parking lot through so much traffic and wall to wall cars, then through an icey parking lot and around the back of a shopping center into a new development that was a very messy construction zone. We were going through huge muddy sections, walking over and around lumber and wire and other debris. I was NOT a happy camper. He had to peel off at 7.35 miles to pick up DS at school but I did the full ten in 2:36:21 which is a 15:38 pace. I was pleased with it. I was pretty achy all weekend, but not incapacitated by any stretch, thank God. Just glad it is over. Not sure yet of the impact it had on my mental preparedness, but I am sure it will sink in this week.

There is so much going on in my head. My mind is racing with thoughts of the 1/2 marathon, my first Christmas without my parents. Seeing my best friend on Christmas eve and realizing we are withotu his mom, too, who was a second mom to me. Thinking about where I was a year ago, 60 pounds heavier, a "resting" heart rate of over 165, literally feeling I was in my final days. Really just too much to cope with now. Ordinary everyday stress on top of it all. Worry about the kids, DD's college application, DH's lack of a job, etc., etc. Right now, all I want to do is sleep and eat. The eating is a problem. I pretty much ate whatever I wanted this weekend, though with great moderation. Getting back onto a disciplined menu this week is actually something I am looking forward to.

Aww Cam. Sounds like you had a tough weekend. Things will get better and just think what a great Christmas you will have with Dh and the kids :goodvibes

You did great on your long walk though and it won't be long until the marathon is here! Talk to you in the morning and have a great night!!

Cam sweetie, :grouphug:

I am sending prayers and :wizard: your way. The holidays are such an amazing time, but they can be a difficult time too. Please be sure to take extra-special, good care of you at this time. We are here for you, Cam. :grouphug:

Happy Holidays Cam!!!!

And super, duper, huge :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: to you. I know the first holiday is the hardest. This is the 4th Christmas without my mom and I'm having a harder time than I did the first Christmas. The first one it was hard putting up the tree - I had to leave the room because I was crying so hard. For some reason I have been crying for a couple of weeks. I know some of it is the milestone of dd turning 16 and my mom wasn't here. In fact I'm almost positive. Some of it also could be that we are taking my dad with us to celebrate Christmas and my mom isn't here and we won't ever be able to take her. So (I'm sorry, I'm not trying to take away the importance of what you're going through but I just realized I may have) I'm so sorry it's so hard - but I'm here with you in spirit and prayers and super, duper hugs!!!!!!! I wish I could be there to give you a real one and we can sit and cry and talk about our lost loved ones (it does help) and laugh.

One thing I want you to try and do on Christmas day is think of one happy memory that involves each of the missing loved ones and talk about it and laugh!!!!!!! Okay!!!! TRUST ME ON THIS ONE PLEASE! I'll be thinking about you on Sunday!

Hope you do you have a great holiday!
Keep on :banana: :banana:
Chris

Cam-I know i havent been around lately and im sorry, but i am back
it sounds like you had a tough weekend and i hope things are getting better...
the "firsts" are always the worst and i hope that you can get through them thinking about the good times..
have a great holiday if i dont talk to you before then!

Hi Cam,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Try to think of all the good memories that you had and I know you will get through this year. Just know that we are all here for you.

You are doing a good job. Keep up the good work and I hope you have a wonderful Friday

Hi Cam~

I wanted to stop by and let you know that I am thinking about you and that you continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. :hug: May your holidays be filled with warmth, laughter, and wonderful memories. Take care, sweetie! :hug: Merry Christmas!

Hi Cam,

Just wanted to pop in to let you know I am thinking of ya!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Hi Cam!

Thanks for reading my trip report! :goodvibes I was afraid no one would want to read it. :blush: I tried to make it funny and exciting, but I had a horrible, horrible cold when I wrote it so it may have fallen a bit flat. :blush:

I wanted to stop by and let you know that I have been thinking about you and wondering how you are doing. :hug:

I know that the 1/2 is coming up and I am so excited for you! :Pinkbounc I know that you are going to do a great job, Cam! :goodvibes I hope you'll come back here and post all about it. ::yes::

I want to WISH you and your family a healthy, happy, safe, and prosperous New Year! ::yes:: Take care, Cam. :hug:

Thought I would pop in and say Happy New Year and see you next week (or next year lol :rotfl: )

Happy New Year to you, and hoping 2006 will see you accomplish your goals.

:grouphug: Sounds like this is a tough time for you, but know that you have friends who care. Just keep going on one day at a time, you can do this :cheer2:

Kate

Hi Cam,

Thinking bout ya as the 1/2 marathon approaches! Hope all the stress is getting better and that you have a joyful new year.

Mike

I know I have been totally MIA here, as I have been spending my time on the 1/2 marathon training thread. But I am so grateful for everyone's support and encouragement.

I have been totally off track the last couple of weeks and have gained 4 pounds since Thanksgiving or the first week of December.

So much going on adding to my stress level including finding out that my DFIL's cancer is back and spread to his bones.

Then, last Friday I rushed Howard to the hospital where he was admitted and had emergency surgery on Saturday. No one believes he will make it to the start line of the 1/2 on Saturday though the doctor and we made many medical decisions with the third priority being to get Howard to Orlando --

(1) manage his pain to get it to some level where they could allow him to remain conscious to discuss issues with him (IV Dilaudid as frequently as medically feasible);
(2) get his left kidney functioning again (Saturday's surgery accomplished that); and
(3) get him on a plane to Disney on Thursday a.m. His surgery went well and he will have the second step on 1/13 and then one more after that.

It's been rough. Looking forward to escaping to WDW Thursday and coming home on Monday with some serious bling -- a Donald medal. Everything else is gravy. I've been looking forward to Saturday since about 1/19/05. Can't wait to tell everyone here all about it and to get back on track upon my return.

Thanks, everyone, for being here even when I wasn't :grouphug:

:hug: Cam,

I have been MIA too.

Howard and your FIL will be in my prayers. I know how hard it is to stay on track when there is so much stress. 4 pounds isn't bad considering your stress level.

You are going to do great at the marathon, and the Donald medal will be some well deserved bling.

Take care of both you and Howard.
Beth

Oh Cam... :grouphug:

I am so sorry for all that you have been going through, sweetie. :grouphug: Please know that we will be keeping Howard, you, your DFIL, and your entire family in our thoughts and prayers. :grouphug: Cam, my heart just goes out to you. I am so sorry that you have had to go through all of this. :sad1: :hug:

I BELIEVE with all my heart that you will get that Donald medal this weekend. ::yes:: Please know that I will be cheering you on to VICTORY from Northeast Ohio! :cheer2:

Cam... if there is anything.... and I mean anything that I can do for you, please let me know. I wish I lived closer to you so that I could help you out or at the very least to give you a gentle :hug: and moral support.

Take good care of you. :hug: Go for it, Cam! You CAN do it!!!!! :cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter