Campsite security concern

AshFamily

Mouseketeer
We are going in mid September :banana: and are trying for the 16 or 1700 loop. My concern is how safe my camping gear will be while we are out of camp. We have a pop up and will have all the regular camping gear outside the pop up (lanterns, stove, grill, folding kitchen etc.). Obviously I will be putting all the expensive stuff electronics and such under lock and key in the tv but what about your gear??:confused3 Should I be worried about this?? Will the vacation insurance cover anything stolen? Wondering if I am worried for nothing :confused:

I have never had anything in your list taken from my site at Disney. I only had a cooler full of beer taken once by kids found the cooler and all the empty cans behide the 300 loop by the lake. hope this helps

We just left the 800 loop after a week's stay at the Fort. We never locked the trailer & left 2 bicycles outside unlocked as well & nothing was ever disturbed.

Campers are generally a trustworthy bunch, so I think your gear will be safe where you put it.

Have fun & enjoy the Magic!

I even left the keys in my golf cart the whole time. Friend would come by and take it to take people to the front or the pool

I feel like the Fort is a bit safer than typical campgrounds. That may just be the pixie dust effect. Overall, I agree that most campers are generally nice, trustworthy folks. That said, I'd use the same common sense you would use anywhere. Lock up (or at least put out of sight) the stuff you really don't want to lose, but 99% likely that everything would be fine.

I personally have never had anything taken at the Fort... Except for a few beers in an outside cooler, I can't think of anything that has been taken camping anywhere.

j

We have camped several times at the Fort in our PUP and never had anything taken and we leave general camping equipment outside also. While I definately think the Fort is a safer place than most campgrounds - you still have to use common sense - we usually keep our valuables in the van.

The kinds of things you listed should be safe. Def lock up electronics. I have heard about bicycles, mickey lampposts, golfcarts, beer, sodas, and dare I say it, even FLAMINGOS :scared1: being stolen.The horror of it!

You're not supposed to randomly move the flamingos around the fort?

LOL. I just had an image of the swimming pool surrounded by flamingos.

We've never had a problem at The Fort. We don't lock up the bikes and leave chairs, etc sitting around. The clothesline is usually lined with towels and swim suits and nothing has ever been taken. You should be fine.

We don't secure anything around our site but then we don't have alot of stuff laying around. However, we do lock up our bikes when we go to a trading post, Trails End or at the marina. I have heard of too many bikes taken, mostly by kids wanting to joy ride.

Haven't yet stayed at the Fort, but what I find at most campgrounds, is that everyone already has whatever is needed to camp. No reason to "take" something you already have - or don't need. I have always found campers to be a very honest and extremely helpful group. :flower3: They tend to "look out" for each other more than "take advantage" of any situations. I know we have been blessed with "helpers" at campgrounds across the country. Karma could be really nasty to a dishonest camper :rolleyes1

We have never had any trouble at any campground we have stayed at. We usually leave a radio on the table under the awning and chairs out. We usually try to remember to lock the bikes up but not always.

Has anyone else ever had trouble?

Is this a new trend? :confused3

I have never had anything in your list taken from my site at Disney. I only had a cooler full of beer taken once by kids found the cooler and all the empty cans behide the 300 loop by the lake. hope this helps

I am sure this wasn't funny at the time, but this made me giggle for some reason. :rotfl:

Are campers generally good people who don't steal ? From our experience, yes.
That being said , after the many trips we have had to the Fort , we haven't had anything stolen.
However, the security at the Fort SUCKS and they let ANYONE and EVERYONE in that can drive up to the security gate, and a LOT of people you see at the Fort aren't even stay'n at the Fort and a LOT of them are locals. (including rift-raft) From time to time I have heard of things being stolen.
I by no means am try'n to scare you, I simply want to be straight up about it.
Lock up you important items.

Frank is right. Think about it, I drive into MK, pay to park, walk onto the boat, and I walk into and have full access to the FORT.

Are campers generally good people who don't steal ? From our experience, yes.
That being said , after the many trips we have had to the Fort , we haven't had anything stolen.
However, the security at the Fort SUCKS and they let ANYONE and EVERYONE in that can drive up to the security gate, and a LOT of people you see at the Fort aren't even stay'n at the Fort and a LOT of them are locals. (including rift-raft) From time to time I have heard of things being stolen.
I by no means am try'n to scare you, I simply want to be straight up about it.
Lock up you important items.

This makes me wonder... how safe are WE when we're camping at the Fort? Knowing the ease of access (and reports of rif-raf! :scared1:) would you let your kids sleep in a separate tent? Your wife go alone? Your teenagers hang out by themselves while you're enjoying dinner at the Contemporary?

Just wondering/gathering info for future ideas...

I am sure this wasn't funny at the time, but this made me giggle for some reason. :rotfl:

The funny was when the duty manager was there taking my report he gave me the most common locations to find my cooler and he was right

This makes me wonder... how safe are WE when we're camping at the Fort? Knowing the ease of access (and reports of rif-raf! :scared1:) would you let your kids sleep in a separate tent? Your wife go alone? Your teenagers hang out by themselves while you're enjoying dinner at the Contemporary?

Just wondering/gathering info for future ideas...

You can have the same thing happen anywhere on Disney property or any resort property not just at the Fort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter