Camping with your LARGE family dog!

We have a 26ft TT, a 6 yr old, a 3 yr old, a dalmation (that weighs about 75 lbs) and Dh and myself. We haven't been to the Fort yet, but we do take Lucy with us camping. She just celebrated her 11th b-day yesterday actually so she probably won't go to the Fort with us because I don't think she could make that long of a trip. When she is in the camper I put her fav. blanket on the sofa and that is where she stays unless she is out to potty. She has a bad leg so she doesn't do much walking or running anymore.:sad1:

As soon as Mickey the Wonder Beagle sees the suitcases being packed, he is gathering his toys and sitting by the truck door so he doesn't get left. Our Yorkie was the same way. I don't know what it is about dogs and camping, but boy do they love it.

The camping..yes..the car ride..not so much.
We have a 10 month old Sheltie...and his first camping trip was last week. I was hoping he was "over" his car sickness stage. W-R-O-N-G. :sad2: While he loved the trailer and the campground..it's the getting there and back thats an issue. Four pukes on the way there..and one puke on the way home.:scared1: Vet told me to give him dramamine...that worked for about an hour..and then...well..you get the idea. :rolleyes1
Our last Sheltie was 13 when he passed last summer,and he LOVED the car and the trips..so this was quite a change for us.
Poor pup..I felt so bad for him. He's okay for a quick ride in the neighborhood..but longer than that and it gets pretty messy.
Calling the vet tomorrow to ask about a new medication that is supposed to be available..which I wonder why they didn't suggest to begin with. We shall see.

I feel your pain. The biggest problem we have is talking over all of Mickey's snoring coming from the back seat.

We have a Saint too, they are GREAT dogs (ours is a tight lip, so he doesn't slobber). He did go camping with us two years ago and he loved it. We brought too many kids the last couple of times, so we left him with grandpa in Kissimmee. The kennel in FW does have big enough spaces for them, but if he is a spoiled dog like ours, he may feel like he is in prison. There are at least 2 Saints that stay regularly at the kennel, one is named Tinkerbell, and we have seen a couple of Newfoundlands there as well.

Now ours does slobber a bit...mostly at dinner time and after a drink...but it's not that much!! My girls hate it when they get his slobber on them...they want to get a bath right away!!! They like to be clean...guess thats better then fighting to get them in a tub!!
Do they keep the Saints and Newfies inside in the AC or on outside runs?

Thank you all for your info and help...

Now ours does slobber a bit...mostly at dinner time and after a drink...but it's not that much!! My girls hate it when they get his slobber on them...they want to get a bath right away!!! They like to be clean...guess thats better then fighting to get them in a tub!!
Do they keep the Saints and Newfies inside in the AC or on outside runs?

Thank you all for your info and help...

All of the animals are kept inside in the ac at the kennels. They don't walk them for you, you have to agree to come back and do that yourself.

The camping..yes..the car ride..not so much.
We have a 10 month old Sheltie...and his first camping trip was last week. I was hoping he was "over" his car sickness stage. W-R-O-N-G. :sad2: While he loved the trailer and the campground..it's the getting there and back thats an issue. Four pukes on the way there..and one puke on the way home.:scared1: Vet told me to give him dramamine...that worked for about an hour..and then...well..you get the idea. :rolleyes1

We had a dog with the same problem. The Dramamine does work but you need to give it to them about 1 hour to 30 minutes minimum before you leave. Another thing is take lots of short trips without the dramamine. Like start with going around the block once then work up to about until about 2 or 3 times around. Then when he/she gets up to about 3 times around then go on short trips around town, like when you run your errands. Minimize the water before and during any trip. The water moving around in the tummy makes it worse. Do not feed him at least 2 to 4 hours before leaving. If he/she is kennel trained (this advice is for kennel trained dogs ONLY) get a travel kennel for the vehicle and put him/her in that while traveling. This relives some stress. Do not feed him/her during the trip (if a one day trip). If the trip is 2 or more days feed a minimum amount to him/her when you stop for the day but understand that he/she might have an upset tummy and might not eat for a couple of hours besure to remove the food bowl before you go to bed. If you are still doing the Dramamine give it to him/her before your breakfast. Remember that you have minimized the water so don't subject the dog to a great deal of heat. Our dog no longer gets car sick, no longer needs Dramamine and is always ready to GO. This method does take about a month or more but be patience. Some dogs take to car travel from get-go others take a little more effort.

All of the animals are kept inside in the ac at the kennels.

There are several outdoor runs available if you have an outdoor dog. They are undercover and have ceiling fans for additional ventilation.

We travel with an Old English Sheepdog, and were just at the fort this last week. He dosn't like the fire works so we need to leave the tv on during the MK show. As others have said the stay is ok its just the traveling that can upset him. We have a 31 foot C class with a single slide.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter