Camping with.... Snakes :O

The only snakes I've ever seen at the Fort have been smooshed in the road. Bad luck for them.

However, I have seen a copperhead in the ladies room at MGM late one night (my hero was the janitor who came in when I told him about it and swept it into his dustpan and hauled it out, presumably to the "snake impound area" or some such), a black snake at AK in front of Dinosaur, a water moccasin in the pool in front of Dinosaur, (maybe you should just avoid Dinosaur, come to think of it), and some other snake that I didn't know what it was at the base of the stairwell at Caribbean Beach.

Then there was the snake I couldn't see what kind it was, but we were staying at CSR and it came out of the lake one night and shot across the road into the shrubs. (That was the same trip where we saw a gator eat a baby duckling in the same lake. Horrifying, but the whole circle of life theme played in my head.)

Point being, it's Florida. Snakes and other critters are everywhere and not just at the fort. I don't say this to terrify you, but to point out how many people visit and live in Fla. every day/year and I'd say 99.5% live long and happy lives in spite of the critters. Just do as others have said and don't annoy them and you'll be fine.

becky1960 said:
You have to look at it this way, When was the last reported snake bite at WDW, I have never read any reports of this. When was the last Fatality car accident in your area. The chance of a snake bite is very rare...

Actually, there was a report on the DIS of a members child being bitten. They even had pictures of him with a swollen hand. If i remember right, he was trying to retrieve a toy from some bushes and got bit. It wasn't too long ago. If you do a search, i am sure you can find it.

Disneefun said:
The only snakes I've ever seen at the Fort have been smooshed in the road. Bad luck for them.

However, I have seen a copperhead in the ladies room at MGM late one night (my hero was the janitor who came in when I told him about it and swept it into his dustpan and hauled it out, presumably to the "snake impound area" or some such), a black snake at AK in front of Dinosaur, a water moccasin in the pool in front of Dinosaur, (maybe you should just avoid Dinosaur, come to think of it), and some other snake that I didn't know what it was at the base of the stairwell at Caribbean Beach.

Then there was the snake I couldn't see what kind it was, but we were staying at CSR and it came out of the lake one night and shot across the road into the shrubs. (That was the same trip where we saw a gator eat a baby duckling in the same lake. Horrifying, but the whole circle of life theme played in my head.)

Point being, it's Florida. Snakes and other critters are everywhere and not just at the fort. I don't say this to terrify you, but to point out how many people visit and live in Fla. every day/year and I'd say 99.5% live long and happy lives in spite of the critters. Just do as others have said and don't annoy them and you'll be fine.

Last I knew copperhead snakes did not love in Florida. Check google.

List of venomous snakes found in Fl
Canebrake Rattlesnake
Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake
Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake
Florida Cottonmouth Snake
Southern Copperhead Snake
Eastern Coral Snake

I lived in Fl and have been to The Fort dozens of times. The only close contact with a snake was running over a pygmy rattler with the lawnmower.

We were staying at Bay Lake Towers last spring. I was sunning myself by the pool and looked over to see 2 black snakes sunning themselves too! While I am not a snake lover, I had to laugh. After many, many trips to both FW and other Disney resorts, I wouldn't worry about it, but I would use common sense as descibed in this discussion.

Been going to Ft. W for my entire life and I have seen a snake ONE TIME during all those visits. I would not go wading in any of the canals (don't think anyone would want to. Not exactly sure why they don't have more snakes? In Florida gardener snakes aka black snakes are kind of common. I HATE SNAKES and a good snake is a dead snake. I've heard all the arguments about rats- I can get a rat trap or my killer cat takes of that. I have a cat at home that is HUGE. He was a stray and I took him in. He's a hunter and likes BIG GAME so fortunately he goes after snakes IF they come in my yard. (He doesn't eat them, just kills them.)
I have a feeling there must be some other animal over there that keeps the population down. One thing that is suppose to work keeping snakes away is moth balls if you them in the yard and home depot sells something which is similar called snake away.
Far as the armedillos they are afraid of humans-so just don't engage them. They are kind of cute in a strange way. They dont seem to like lights so if you have an outdoor light that may deter them. They are usually just looking for scraps.

I have noticed living in Florida-the black snakes aka gardner snakes that people consider 'good snakes' tend to come out in nice weather to sun themselves and thats the mating season coz then u see smaller ones a few weeks later. Also, when there is a lot of rain I am no expert but i think they live in the ground and that makes them come out and be more visable. Also, they like citrus trees. Never really seen this myself.
I recalled another snake sighting, we stay at Port Orleans a lot for cheap trips since we are Floridians. I have seen a black snake or two coming out from the bushes.
Snakes will usually run, but if I see them so do I. One time at home there was one and I went to get something to kill it and it was coming up through the deck COBRA style. It was going to engage me! YIKES! Cat was taking a nap. So anyway, now if its snake season I have a big machette ready that I figure I can throw at the snake then run like the other way if I miss. As Indian Jones felt, I REALLY HATE SNAKES!

Those black snakes, around here they call them Coach Whips, they are your friends!
They eat other snakes, including poisonous ones, I've seen it with my own eyes.

We've been to the Fort a few times and luckily have not had any encounters. The last time my 9 year old was playing tag in the dried up swamp with other camper's kids. I had to remind him to watch out and be careful--fearing the worst. Luckily the worst was some chigger bites. I will be more cautious now that so many others have reported sightings. We'll also be using the emergency potty in the camper at night for certain!

I know there are snakes at the fort but in all my times camping there I have never seen one. On the other hand, on my last trip to POP I literally ran into a 4foot one sunning himself by a bedroom door. I totally freaked out. My point is dont worry go have fun.

I think all this snake talk should just stop lol!!!! But I am just as guilty i posted something awhile back. I am sitting here freaking out !We have talked about our upcoming trip either renting an rv or staying at one of the values with dinning. My one good friend who is also on the boards told me about the contemporary room snake and now Im freaking out no matter what we do we are going to find one lol. Its not me im worried about just DS 1 and DS 6!!!! With all of that said we have been to Disney 5 times and I have only heard of a snake once and it was when we were leaving AK and the guard told us to move to the other side because the snake was hiding in the bush. I gladly ran away lol!

We were at the fort 2 weeks ago and we didn't see any snakes. Lots of lizards but now snakes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter