Campgrounds in NH/ME/MA?

lucky978

Mouseketeer
We live in Massachusetts and are trying to find a new campground to vacation at (3 nights or so) in the summer. Looking for something with either CLEAN lake swimming, activities and playgrounds for the kids and/or a pool. Anyone have any reviews they can share?

We live in NH and are campers. We like state parks, like Pawtuckaway State park. That one would not be to far of a drive for you and it's on a lake and 30 min from the ocean.

Lily Bay State park, on the other hand is *way up there* and they call it "moose alley" because you see moose everywhere. not a lot else to do up there except hike and moose peeking

lake umabagog is a new discovery of ours. Beautiful lake, and still quiet and peaceful and yet stuff to do in town.

Happy Camping ! :hippie:

:rotfl: oooo- you might also like Glen-Ellis. Great swimming, (pool and river) playground and right near storyland.

There are tons depending where in MA you are or want to go. Peters Pond in Sandwich is good. Brewster State park is good. Both have lake swimming and fishing.
WHat part do you want to go to?

We like Pine Acres in Oakham, MA. It is on the expensive side, in my opinion, but is worth it. There is a very nice lake (we have never gone swimming in it but it seemed very clean) as well as a beautiful pool/water play area.

I know your looking in ME/NH/MA but if you would consider CT, Odetah in Bozrah CT is very family orientated, clean and plenty of things for the kids. It also has a great mini golf course. I'm going back Columbus day weekend. I also like Circle 9 Ranch in Epsom, NH. A little corny but we liked having wi-fi.

We loved Glen-Ellis too!

(bennythepug- we've got a pug too, assuming that Benny is your dog)

My whole extended family camps several times a year at Pinewood Lodge in Plymouth Ma. It's very kid friendly, with a nice clean lake, boats to rent, fishing, they have a couple of playgrounds, and you can have campfires if it's not a high forest fire warning.
The sites are nice, they have a lot of pine trees and lots of shade. The Lodge has a little general store, and a small diner. The Lodge hold some sort of kid friendly event on most evenings. We don't have a camper, so we rent one of the log cabins when we go. They are small, but are great for long weekends.
We love it there...the only downside that I can think of is they do not allow pets.

We like Pine Acres in Oakham, MA. It is on the expensive side, in my opinion, but is worth it. There is a very nice lake (we have never gone swimming in it but it seemed very clean) as well as a beautiful pool/water play area.

This is a great thread, we're in NY and go into these areas. Pine Acres in MA is a beautiful campground. We stayed there one night on our way home from Cape Cod. But I have to say this tho, pet peeve of mine is the way you're treated. We arrived there late around 8:00 booking last minute on the road, so we asked for on cell and got a very Slight discount (the campground is expensive). We took a very quick bike ride as it was getting dark and a guy chased us down WHILE WE WERE RIDING OUR BIKES to ask who we were and that she shouldn't have given us a discount. I think it amounted to about $5.00 off and I think we paid about $70 dollars. I was outraged by that. He was extremely rude but then calmed down. We told him we paid already and were not paying more, if you wanted more you could give us a total refund and we would leave, and he let it go. That did dampen our feelings of the campground, not even sure who this guy was, if he just worked there or was an owner, etc.

Last edited:
We live in Massachusetts and are trying to find a new campground to vacation at (3 nights or so) in the summer. Looking for something with either CLEAN lake swimming, activities and playgrounds for the kids and/or a pool. Anyone have any reviews they can share?

We did Nickerson State Park on Cape Cod last year and WOW. If you are looking for the most beautiful clean swimming lake you have seen, this is the place. There are two extremely large lakes and you can see all the way to the bottom and warm also when we went.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread revived just in time for summer! 8 years have passed since I originally posted yet we are still always looking for new places.
Since originally posting we have tried Glen Ellis and really loved it. Would definitely return! Our new favorite is Powderhorn Campground at Old Orchard Beach, ME. A bit pricey (and no lake) but we love it there!

great thread! we just started camping and had our first trip last weekend. we got in last minute at Bay View in Bourne, MA which is only an hour ride for us. There were 2-3 pools, tennis courts, stage area with live music, volleyball court, baseball field etc. We had our dog with us and the place is really dog friendly. They have a great dog park! We had a great time! Cant wait to check out some of these other places people listed here

We are from central mass and tend to drive up to Freeport Maine a few times a year for camping. We love Recompense Shore Campground, just outside of Freeport. Its right on Casco Bay, they have water front sites and tree sites. Small playground and a farm where kids can see various animals. They are also pet friendly. Always a great time!

http://freeportcamping.com/

-Neal

If you're up for a drive to VT, our favorite campground is Sugar Ridge RV park in Danville. Very clean, nice pool, activities for the kids. We call it a close second to Fort Wilderness. www.sugarridgervpark.com. It's been open about 15 years and we've been going since they opened. The buildings were made from logs on the land and they have a nice mini golf course that was made from materials also found on the land.

HA! I didn't even remember this thread until it came back alive. I posted in May of '07. A lot has changed, I heartily recommend 7 Maples in Hancock, NH. We stayed there in '08 loved the town so much we purchased 5.5 acres and plan to retire there in 2019. My only drawback was and apparently still is, there are no washer and dryers on site. It's about a 10 minute drive. However, the campground is nice and about a 30 minute drive to Keene.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter