campground/reststops in GA? needing some opinions

beccaewert

Mouseketeer
ok, this is the deal....we are leaving Oct1 (friday) to head down to the fort,...we are departing Martinsville, IN. we are trying to make it all the way down near Macon, or Valdosta, GA....normally we stay the night in a hotel just because we have a pop-up,...this time around we have our motorhome. We have another family following us in there rig as well. So, depending on how much ground we can cover, do you know of any stops (campgrounds, rest stops, ???) that we can get some shut-eye....

Normally we get to Valdosta around 11 pm....but that wasn't with an motorhome,...so we might not be traveling "as fast" plus we have "followers",...lol:rotfl:

So for those who travel this way,...what are your recommendations on this particular route? and for those who have m.homes....do you normally stop at campsites for the night or do you stay at visitor areas in the parking lot?:eek:

if you were me (oh, brother:rolleyes1 lol!!!) what route would you do coming from Martinsville, INDIANA---to the Fort?

Ok,....let the ideas come in popcorn::

(please & thank you:yay:)

There are many many campgrounds on I-75 in South Georgia.

Personally, I've stopped at Amy's South Georgia Campground at Exit 60.

I've also stopped at the Forsyth KOA just North of Macon.

I have also stopped at Eagle's Roost RV Resort at Exit 5.

All of those are perfectly acceptable for an overnight stop. They all are easy on, easy off the interstate. They all have pull-through sites and the electric and bath houses are all fine.

Although I haven't stopped there, there also appears to be a KOA at Cordelle and Tifton, right off I-75.

Your best bet going down is I-65 to Nashville, to I-24 to I-75. The KOA in Cartersville (N of Atlanta) and Cordelle (S of Macon) are also nice one night stops. Don't think is is much along the X-Way in Macon. Several Good Sam parks also in Perry, haven't used them however. Forgot there is also a CG in Byron connected with an RV sales lot.

Just south of Atlanta is High Falls State Park in Jackson, GA. It is easy off/on I75 and very nice campground. Also, not to much farther south from this campground is a KOA that sits right off of I75.

Whatever you do avoid rush-hour traffic (morning or evening) in Atlanta. I would suggest timing your dinner/drive to go through Atlanta after 7pm or so and overnight somewhere south of Atlanta. That way you'll have a smooth start the next morning.

Bama ED

We stopped at Tifton on the way down.

Around 4-5 hours from WDW & about an hour north of Valdosta. It was right off the interstate and is OK for only an overnight stay. Very short sites but I think all are pullthrough. Only a few had concrete pads. Gravel/dirt driveways. It satisfied our needs though. We got in around 7, left the TT hooked to the vehicle & headed out early the next day.

We avoided Atlanta altogether, coming down through Birmingham :scared1: & Columbus GA. Some 2 lanes in there, but we just took our time & enjoyed the scenery (except for Birmingham, man that was a little bit scary)

We usually stop at the Walmart in Valdosta, it is at exit 16 or 18. There are plenty of RV's that do the same, you will have plenty of company.

We stayed here

Southern Gates RV Park & Campground
138 Campsite Rd.
Arabi, GA 31712
229-273-6464
southerngates.com

Nice, friendly people, good rates.

We stopped at Tifton on the way down.

Around 4-5 hours from WDW & about an hour north of Valdosta. It was right off the interstate and is OK for only an overnight stay. Very short sites but I think all are pullthrough. Only a few had concrete pads. Gravel/dirt driveways. It satisfied our needs though. We got in around 7, left the TT hooked to the vehicle & headed out early the next day.

We avoided Atlanta altogether, coming down through Birmingham :scared1: & Columbus GA. Some 2 lanes in there, but we just took our time & enjoyed the scenery (except for Birmingham, man that was a little bit scary)

In Civil Engineering design (most highways are designed by CEs) there are three basic concepts:

1. Try to keep it straight
2. Try to keep it level
3. Try to keep it to as few exits/entrances as possible

I-65 South through downtown Birmingham violates every one of these principles. So towing in that environment will be hair-raising. But on the good side, it normally doesn't last for long - you get through that area and put it behind you. I lived in Atlanta and still have nightmares about it.

I live in the Birmingham suburbs now and commuted into downtown for 10 years daily so I faced Malfunction Junction (the I-65/I-59 interchange) twice a day.

Just keep focused on your destination: Fort Wilderness :banana:

Bama ED

Fair Harbor campground in Perry is easy on and off, but don't stop there Oct. 7-17. That is the GA National Fair and it is booked.

We just got home from the Fort earlier today.
We always stay at Eagle's Roost in Lake City, GA (exit 5) on the way down, and usually on the way back. Very nice park.
This time, on the way home (last nite), we stayed at Twin Oaks in Elko, GA. It was nice as well.....but the park isn't paved.

I can't really tell you where to stop but I can advise you on where NOT to stop. I would not recommend Georgia Rest Areas and Welcome Centers...unlike most states theirs are not open 24 hours day. They shut off the lights and lock the rest rooms every night at 11:00pm. They tend not be that safe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter