• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Campground: Pet Friendly Status?

DougY

Mouseketeer
I received an email from a friend advising me that DisneyWorld may be changing their Pet Friendly status very soon. I take my dog with me on every trip, this would be very bad if it is true. Anyone heard anything?

Haven't heard a thing. It would be very unwise for WDW to do this. I doubt it will ever happen.

I have not seen that and I have two reservations for 2016 with pets indicated. If that's the case Disney will loose out on a lot of my money as I will no board my pets, just go elsewhere. What is the source of the email?

I received an email from a friend advising me that DisneyWorld may be changing their Pet Friendly status very soon. I take my dog with me on every trip, this would be very bad if it is true. Anyone heard anything?

1) There is always talk about eliminating pets from The Fort. *
2) Too many dog owners do not use a pooper-scooper for their dogs.
3) Plus, lots of owners walk their dogs in non-pet loops, annoying non-pet owners.
4) At this time, there is no official word or rumor.

* The two reasons most commonly mentioned are "manpower to clean up after dogs" and dog messes for those with allergies.

Too many dog owners do not use a pooper-scooper for their dogs.

I'm surprised by this (because I trust what you say). I didn't see poop anywhere; not even at the dog park. There were poop bag dispensers all over, no excuse for not picking up after your dog!

Now, there was a dead armadillo outside of the dog park that was covered with flies and rather disgusting...

1) There is always talk about eliminating pets from The Fort. *
2) Too many dog owners do not use a pooper-scooper for their dogs.
3) Plus, lots of owners walk their dogs in non-pet loops, annoying non-pet owners.
4) At this time, there is no official word or rumor.

* The two reasons most commonly mentioned are "manpower to clean up after dogs" and dog messes for those with allergies.

#3) Yes, I can attest to this. We are always in loop #1 and it's a constant parade of people walking their dogs there - have never understood the logic, with all the other 'pet' loops available. It's usually the non conformists that mess up things for all the others that follow the rules - the same for 'not' picking up after their dogs.

We actually saw a man let his two very large dogs poop on side of parking pad right before they were leaving, then throw some of the pine straw over it. This really upset me as I could imagine little kiddies being the next in that site - what pigs!!

Is there actually a policy that says owners cannot walk in the "Non-Pet" areas? To further complicate this, are there designated "Non-Pet" areas? I always understood that you could ask for a pet loop, but depending on the demand, that ANY loop could be a pet loop at a given time.

I feel little sympathy for someone who is annoyed by me walking my dog (responsibly and cleaning up after him) as they sit there and smoke their cigarettes or whatever else it is that they do that I don't. I don't say this to be spiteful, just as a comparison of how people can be annoyed by one thing (and vocal about it) but yet their seemingly innocuous and annoying traits are okay.

All that being said, as North of Mouse points out, it's those "non-conformists" that DO mess it up. As a pet owner, I don't walk my dog in public without several plastic bags in my pocket. I have even been known to clean up messes from OTHER inconsiderate owners that just walked away from their pets messes.

For the record, I am an EX-smoker, but even when I did smoke, I tried to be very considerate of others (smokers or not) to the point that I would wash my hands frequently to remove smoke odors and even if I was in a designated smoking area, I tried to avoid blowing smoke at or towards others regardless if they smoked or not.

It's not the pets that are the problem, it's the people who are. It's not all of them either, it's those "Select" few who just stand out and give others the bad name.

Okay, my rant is done for now.

I used to smoke as well, and like you tried to be considerate of others who wanted no part of it. I have no problem with pets at campgrounds, in fact, I expect it. There will always be those who don't take care of their pets like they are supposed to.

Threads about pets at Fort Wilderness almost always go downhill, but every single one of them have one conclusion: People are lazy and inconsiderate.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter