camera - which to take - Digital SLR or digital point and shoot??

minjo

Mouseketeer
I have 2 cameras - one is a nikon digital point and shoot - with very very slow shutter delay....seems to take forever to get the picture...the other one is a digital SLR. I am trying to figure out what to take.

The point and shoot advantage - small, easy to pack - can use regular batteries if so desire; easy to put away when going on rides

The SLR - hardly any shutter delay - able to get the pics I want, telephoto lenses - wide variety of close ups or far away shots, can have around my neck for those quick shots

Point and shot disadvantage - massive shutter delays - often miss shots that I want - always put away instead of around my neck -

SLR - bulky - large - need a separate bag to carry, heavy

I would love to take my SLR because I think I would get some really great pics.

So what kind of camera do you use and what do you like about it?

but b/c it is so big with the lenses we leave it home..our point and shoot is reasonably fast so we go with that . Personally I think having to truck an SLR on and off rides would be pain...espcially water rides or coaster type rides.
JMHO

We take both our point & shoot & our SLR as well as a canon GL2 digital video camera when not in use they ride in a backpack designed for laptop computers waterproof and padded.

I have a Nikon D40 that I've taken on two trips. I just carried it on my neck all day. When on a fast ride (where I wasn't taking pictures) I could keep it on my neck and also tuck it into my purse/bag. One day that I left the DSLR behind and only used the point and shoot, I missed my DSLR! So I put the point and shoot away and only used the D40. I didn't find it much of a burden to wear around. :)

I brought both on our trip and never took the DSLR into DL or DCA. I did take it to Napa Rose and to our character breakfast. With 3 kids to keep track of and such, I just didn't want to lug around the bigger camera and worry about losing it or breaking it. I do wish I'd taken some time without the kids to take it in and get a few shots, though. But I did get some good pics on my point and shoot and the gallery cd gives me some good general shots as well.

I have a Digital SLR (Sony a300) and will be bringing it. No amount of inconvenience would make me not bring it, because I know I will get the shots I want with my a300.

I used to take an SLR on every Disneyland trip for years.

A couple of years ago, I finally broke down and bought a point and shoot and took that on the following DLR trip.

Obviously, the point and shoot is soooooo nice because it's so easy and convenient to carry around. But, the pics I took with my SLR all those years were definitely better than the ones I get now. However, the ones I get with the point and shoot are definitely good enough to justify leaving the SLR at home.

I'd take the PAS and leave the SLR at home, if it were me.

Good luck making a decision, I know it's a tough one! :)

Panasonic GF1 or the new GF2...Best of both worlds!!!

They are a new breed of digital cameras called micro four-thirds that can shoot with the quality of typical SLR cameras (because they use the same sensors as SLR's) while at the same time being much more compact because there is no mirror that needs to flap!

Pros:
- High quality photos because SLR sensor (good high speed and low light performance)
- Fast response times of SLR cameras
- Interchangeable lenses
- Thinner/lighter body than typical SLR cameras
- Can shoot HD video

Cons:
- Pricey
- Limited selection of lenses
- No real viewfinder since no mirror. There is an optional digital viewfinder available.

SLR.... Whilst bulky if it takes the best shots it is so worth it...

Take a small backpack, you will need one for the water and snacks anyway...

I'm a professional photographer and I just bring a point and shoot to Disney.

Yes, I can't get the quality or options I'd really like (especially inside). But I can never imagine lugging an SLR and lenses around the park. I'd be worried all day about theft or damage. What do you do when you want to ride a roller coaster? You can't bring it and you can't leave it.

I like having photos as memories, of course. But they don't all have to be perfect. The photos from when I was a kid don't elicit any fewer emotions from me because their quality is so poor (compared to now).

I say bring the point and shoot, have fun, and have the Photopass photographers take some shots for you.

I'm a professional photographer and I just bring a point and shoot to Disney.

Yes, I can't get the quality or options I'd really like (especially inside). But I can never imagine lugging an SLR and lenses around the park. I'd be worried all day about theft or damage. What do you do when you want to ride a roller coaster? You can't bring it and you can't leave it.

I like having photos as memories, of course. But they don't all have to be perfect. The photos from when I was a kid don't elicit any fewer emotions from me because their quality is so poor (compared to now).

I say bring the point and shoot, have fun, and have the Photopass photographers take some shots for you.

I am a professional as well and I cannot imagine not haveing my DSLR with me at DL. As far as rides.. I had it on my neck.. mostly because I would take pictures on the rides, using a point and shoot would not be able to get in focus pictures while on a fast ride. Although I like my point and shoot it is not nearly as easy to get some special shots with. And I HATE delay when I am taking pictures.. I think point and shoot misses soooo much. The only ride I had a problem with was Splash, but I had the camera away and covered it with my DD poncho so it wouldn't get wet. We didn't have any problems. So this trip I will be bringin my DSLR (although I haven't decided which one) my DD will be bringing her point and shoot (She is only 5, not quite ready for a DSLR yet) as I LOVE looking through her pictures to see what she sees lol, and I will be bringing my waterproof point and shoot.

I always take both, and add a movie camera. That way I have the tools I need when ocassions arise.

Jack

Those who bring your SLR - which lenses do you bring?

I just can't fathom riding Space Mountain or Big Thunder with my camera with me. I can't even picture it. And I certainly couldn't leave $3000 of equipment in the stroller.

Do you just use a small prime lens (50mm?) all day, and just deal with the bulk? Do you walk back and forth to a locker? Do you take turns riding rides, so someone watches the stuff?

I'm curious how people who bring all this equipment handle it. It would definitely be nice to get some great family photos at the parks, but I have never thought the hassle was worth it. Maybe I'm just too much of a worrier. But if there are some good suggestions about how to handle the equipment, I'd love to hear them.

minjo~ i use my P&S , its a nikon coolpix and it's the only camera i have, but it seems to work for me and takes really good photos! if i had a DSLR i probably would not use it at disneyland i would still just take my nikon..but alot of disers do take there giant camera's with them to the park, so it's a matter of prefernce i guess

I bring my Canon XSi to the park with me. I also bring 2 lenses, an external flash, and a big battery pack that clicks onto the bottom of the camera. It's pretty heavy. And yet, I can't imagine going without it. Taking pictures is half the fun of vacation for me. And my family loves looking through the albums year after year.

I have figured out how to hold it on most of the rides. I do put it away in my camera back pack for Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Rockin' Roller Coaster, and Tower of Terror (I put the backpack under my leg and put my foot through the shoulder strap). But I can bring it on all the other rides like Thunder Mountain, Expedition Everest, Soarin, Test Track, etc... I even takes pictures of my family while on the rides, and they come out great!

To me it's totally worth it. I ran into a gentleman during our last trip who said he used to bring his big camera too, but he felt that it was too heavy and too much work to carry all day. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference. I carry mine around with no problem at all. My husband pushes the stroller, and I walk beside him taking pictures or just holding the camera.

I've been doing this for 4 years. I can't imagine not bringing it. But I will agree that it's heavy and requires some work.

canon power shot a470 it seems to do everything i want i dont know if its point an shot or what but its good ill need new modle this year but its lasted bout 4 years (got dropped this year an just in case it was to brake id want new modle before going to park lol)

You need a good water resistant bag...

On most rides it sat on my lap or on the floor between my knees, never had a problem though if the bag is full of snacks etc it can be a squeeze on splash in the front... Don't put it on the floor in splash but rather on the seat in front of you... This was the only ride that had me a little concerned but as the bag ends up directly behind the seat in front of you it is away from the splash anyway...

Otherwise it is perfectly save on BTMRR, Space, Cal Scream etc To be on the safe side I always looped a strap around me....If in doubt then don't take it....

I am a professional as well and I cannot imagine not haveing my DSLR with me at DL. As far as rides.. I had it on my neck.. mostly because I would take pictures on the rides, using a point and shoot would not be able to get in focus pictures while on a fast ride. Although I like my point and shoot it is not nearly as easy to get some special shots with. And I HATE delay when I am taking pictures.. I think point and shoot misses soooo much. The only ride I had a problem with was Splash, but I had the camera away and covered it with my DD poncho so it wouldn't get wet. We didn't have any problems. So this trip I will be bringin my DSLR (although I haven't decided which one) my DD will be bringing her point and shoot (She is only 5, not quite ready for a DSLR yet) as I LOVE looking through her pictures to see what she sees lol, and I will be bringing my waterproof point and shoot.

Some PAS actually do this quite well. I got some great shots on fast rides (BTMRR, etc.) during our last trip...pics I would not have been able to get with my SLR - there's no way I could have maneuvered myself the same way with my big camera. Also, the PAS doesn't hurt if it acidentally bumps me in the face on the ride, the way the SLR does.

Just some food for thought for the OP. :)

Some PAS actually do this quite well. I got some great shots on fast rides (BTMRR, etc.) during our last trip...pics I would not have been able to get with my SLR - there's no way I could have maneuvered myself the same way with my big camera. Also, the PAS doesn't hurt if it acidentally bumps me in the face on the ride, the way the SLR does.

Just some food for thought for the OP. :)

Really? Its funny were on opposites on this lol. I guess for me.. I've never really taken a lot of time to explore functions of my PAS and usually shoot in auto on that. I sometimes wonder why I have one since I hardly use it! What settings do you use on your PAS while there? Like I said I am a professional so I would love to see different tricks that you were able to capture with your PAS :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter