Camera suggestions...

lmhall2000

May the road rise to meet you....May God hold you
Some cruisers have 50 pairs of shoes or more to choose from, I have four...but I have a thing for cameras...first cruise got a nice point and shoot on sale for under $200..great until I dropped it on pavement and cheaper to buy new one...same scenario seems to follow me. The last camera I spent a smidge more but loved it b/c it had video as well..now it's just too big and it's a hassle keeping up with the Canon specific connector to download pics. So since it's been a couple of years since we sailed...what's your choice for cameras? Do you just rely on your phone? Do you have a recommendation for a 'travel' camera that can capture great scenic shots as well as? I think I'm looking for more compact that captures images like a bigger bodied one...is that out there yet? And use a universal cable...tired of brand specific adaptations...any suggestions?

I have 2 digital cameras that I carry with me on a cruise. My wife and kids have duplicate point and shoots they carry also. (Helps to work in a dive shop:))

For just walking around the ship exploring, I keep my SeaLife DC1400 with me at all times. It also comes with a waterproof case that I can use for diving, snorkeling, or anything around water. Its small enough it fits in the cargo pocket of my shorts. It also has what is called an intelli scene which selects the best mode for the camera for each picture, as opposed to auto which averages everything for each picture. It swaps from picture to video at the press of a button.

If we are doing things like photo ops or going ashore, I take my Nikon D3000 with me with a 200 mm lense and 80mm lense for taking pictures of the ships from a distance or things like that.

To get pictures like the ones a DSLR take, look for a camera that has a large sensor. The bigger the sensor, the better the picture. Most point and shoot camera, have a sensor that is about the size of the average pinky nail. Theres a few out there that have bigger and better sensors that take great photos that will rival some DSLRs. The trade off is that they can be pricey.

When I was looking at my first DSLR, something the salesman told me stuck with me. Pretty much anything over 5 mp is over kill, unless you plan on blowing a picture up to the size of a wall. You wont notice the difference for the average user between say a 8mp camera picture and a 14 or 16 mp camera pictures.

I have three, but only carry two with me on cruises.

If I know I will be snorkeling, I bring a Sealife Micro HD, and if I'm not, I bring a Sony Cybershot for grab&shoot pix. I also bring my Fuji XF1 and lenses for the really high end pix.

To get pictures like the ones a DSLR take, look for a camera that has a large sensor. The bigger the sensor, the better the picture. Most point and shoot camera, have a sensor that is about the size of the average pinky nail. Theres a few out there that have bigger and better sensors that take great photos that will rival some DSLRs. The trade off is that they can be pricey.

When I was looking at my first DSLR, something the salesman told me stuck with me. Pretty much anything over 5 mp is over kill, unless you plan on blowing a picture up to the size of a wall. You wont notice the difference for the average user between say a 8mp camera picture and a 14 or 16 mp camera pictures.

Thanks!! Catching on..so the MP refers to the sensor? I see some with 20.1 MP sensor...that would be overkill I'm thinking..so as long as it has 8-10 I should be good? We do snorkel but I don't trust myself with a camera and swimming :) I rely on photogs like you guys to post your great pics so I can add those to my album :)

Any favorites on brands? I've used Sony, Panasonic, and Canon..oh and Nikon...I actually liked my Sony the best, but that one was 5 years ago, much can change in those time frames...

Thanks!! Catching on..so the MP refers to the sensor? I see some with 20.1 MP sensor...that would be overkill I'm thinking..so as long as it has 8-10 I should be good? We do snorkel but I don't trust myself with a camera and swimming :) I rely on photogs like you guys to post your great pics so I can add those to my album :)

Any favorites on brands? I've used Sony, Panasonic, and Canon..oh and Nikon...I actually liked my Sony the best, but that one was 5 years ago, much can change in those time frames...

One of the things I really like about the Sealife cameras for swimming and snorkeling is they come with a wrist strap that "locks" around your wrist. The other thing (as truck1 said) is they are equally good for land shots and videos as they are in the water.

One of the things I really like about the Sealife cameras for swimming and snorkeling is they come with a wrist strap that "locks" around your wrist. The other thing (as truck1 said) is they are equally good for land shots and videos as they are in the water.

I am checking on those now :) Never heard of them! :) Also need to check out Fuji...have never had their cameras either :

I have an olympus TG 830 which is one of their Tough cameras...

It can go under water and be dropped from like 6 ft.

It is not the Best point and shoot out there but it takes pretty awesome photos... especially underwater

@lmhall2000: If you are prone to dropping cameras... perhaps one of those shockproof cameras would be a good choice for you. I don't like these cameras because the image quality is not so good (plastic vs glass lenses) and the lens do not zoom much (optical).

If you have the money and want image quality. DSLR like a D3300 is a good starter. Additional lenses would increase the camera enjoyment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTh9K0kUDo

In recent years, people are looking at slightly smaller mirrorless cameras. As a Sony lover.... some friends have been getting the A6000. Note mirrorless accessories (flashes & lenses) can cost more than DSLR versions. Those electronic viewfinders can also shorten the battery life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X56zs5mjqB4

Oh if sensor size and megapixels is what you are after.... looking at the D810. It is a professional camera, so it will cost significantly more. Especially when you starting bolting lenses on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-95NDZLH4

When travelling, I carry more than one camera. My DSLR when quality is important. But also a pocket shooter for backup for bad weather or convenience.

I am checking on those now :) Never heard of them! :) Also need to check out Fuji...have never had their cameras either :

scuba.com is a good place to look for sealife. They also carry go pro.

Fujifilm makes high end DSLR cameras and lenses. If you go that route, you're looking at $1,000+ for the camera body and a basic 18-55mm lens.

if interested in SeaLife, check your local dive shop.

when I bought mine my local shop was happy to meet the internet price I found, and there was no shipping charge. I supported my local small business and had someone to talk to if I had issues. Turns out the folks in the shop all owned SeaLife so I got a lot of tips for underwater use.

If you want wet video tho - GoPro is the way today.

@lmhall2000: If you are prone to dropping cameras... perhaps one of those shockproof cameras would be a good choice for you. I don't like these cameras because the image quality is not so good (plastic vs glass lenses) and the lens do not zoom much (optical).

If you have the money and want image quality. DSLR like a D3300 is a good starter. Additional lenses would increase the camera enjoyment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTh9K0kUDo

In recent years, people are looking at slightly smaller mirrorless cameras. As a Sony lover.... some friends have been getting the A6000. Note mirrorless accessories (flashes & lenses) can cost more than DSLR versions. Those electronic viewfinders can also shorten the battery life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X56zs5mjqB4

Oh if sensor size and megapixels is what you are after.... looking at the D810. It is a professional camera, so it will cost significantly more. Especially when you starting bolting lenses on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be-95NDZLH4

When travelling, I carry more than one camera. My DSLR when quality is important. But also a pocket shooter for backup for bad weather or convenience.

Oh my goodness! If anyone could salivate over a camera it would be me and the D810!! Geez! When I see cruisers holding one of these pups my knees get weak! I have actually approached people carrying these just to get a closer view :) One day, oh one day! :)

Alas, I am trying to find the best option for under $400... a point and shoot that has a good battery life, quick to take the shot, and automatic flash...I like the Nikon Coolpix L830..retails at $300 on sale for under $200...I want something better than our IPhone 5/6 can capture :) mainly for scenic shots of all the amazing vistas we see while on board :) I had a Coolpix before but was not impressed, but I like this body style...something ergonomic and easier to hold than the thin metal casings with no grip holds...going to go check out the other links, but that Nikon video was awesome!

Update, nope on the l830..it uses double A batteries, I tried that once, no good...now looking at the P530 Coolpix..has a lithium battery for which I have an extra from my last camera that I never used...think it's the same...

Have you looked at the Panasonic Lumix? Honestly, it takes pics almost as good as my DSLR and a lot more portable. I carry it and my Sony DSLR.

I have been happy with my Panasonic lumix. Mine was not waterproof, so for our cruises I bought a plastic case for it on amazon, which worked great! Had the camera 7 years but it just died right after our cruise. We have a sony which I love, but really want to get another point and shoot that fits in my purse.

Have you looked at the Panasonic Lumix? Honestly, it takes pics almost as good as my DSLR and a lot more portable. I carry it and my Sony DSLR.

Thanks! I know the Lumix by reputation, forgot that one..going to go look it up..:)

I've wound up putting my DSLR (and all dozen lenses) away these days and sticking with my iPhone. I'm tired of looking at the world through a camera lens and prefer to just use what's in my pocket to take a picture if I deem the moment worthy of it.

No more 3x5s.

MP= Mega Pixels. Its the amount of pixels in a section of a picture if I remember correctly. The higher the number, the more megapixels. a DC 1400 is a 14 mp camera. The Lumix DMC ZS40K as an example is a 18.1 mp camera. Are you going to see the difference in pictures with the naked ey with al things being equal? No.

Heres a link to the Sealife DC1400. http://www.diversdirect.com/scuba-diving/sea-life-dc1400-underwater-camera/

The Image sensor is the mirror like piece that "sees" the picture that you are taking. The bigger the sensor, the better or more clear the pictures.

As far as a favorite, I don't think I have one. What I would look at, is ease of use. As an example, Olympus has a case that you can out their camera in that makes it waterproof to 200 feet. Side by side with a Sealife, the Sealife hands down will outperform the Sony in its case as far as ease of operation. Sealife has large piano keys and very few of them, and the Olympus has multiple small keys that are easy to fat finger the wrong button. Sealife, 1 button, 2 selections and Im ready to go dive. Some cameras take a little more playing to get used to and there are others that are easy.

What I would do is 2 things. Look at what you want the camera to do, and narrow down your options from there. If you have a real camera store, and Im not talking Best Buy, (Think Ritz Camera) go in there, and ask questions. They'll put the cameras in your hand and you can do side by side comparisons.

Oh my goodness! If anyone could salivate over a camera it would be me and the D810!! Geez! When I see cruisers holding one of these pups my knees get weak! I have actually approached people carrying these just to get a closer view :) One day, oh one day! :) .
Cancl/skip one of your cruises and you'll be able to afford it. Then again, your kids are getting older, maybe not!

Oh man! I love the details/reviews of the Lumix..but comparatively the lowest I could find was $296, the Nikon Coolpix P530 was also $296 on Amazon, but CNET had an article showing it $249 at 42nd Photo...no shipping, no taxes...so I jumped at it to save the $50. Now, (thanks impulsive frugalitis) I read comments below the CNET article and it says 42nd Photo is notorious for selling imports that do not come with warranties or they'll call you and try to do a switcheroo and upcharge you more...those were mostly for the 3k and up cameras/accessories...so hoping for just a small purchase like this, they'll just send me a new camera with no issues...oh well...we'll see in a few days. I bought the Extreme 16gb Sandisk card from Amazon...I went with Coolpix just based on price and reports that the battery life seemed to last longer from owners who'd tried both...I always forget to charge and hate missing a shot for a low value battery...actually surprised they still make so many that use double AAs and triples...those are a hassle..

One thing my wife has always insisted on is a camera that uses AA or AAA batteries. You can find those batteries anywhere, so you're rarely stuck with no charge. I tend to just get multiples of whatever battery fits in the camera. I'm a Sony or Nikon fan for P&S. She's a Canon fan for P&S.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter