"Camera": Stupid name or not?

Skywalker

Elementary, My Dear Mickey
Just spoke to an acquaintance who has named her daughter, Camera.

Of course, it is not pronounced like regular camera because hey, that would be silly. The name is pronounced like "cam-AIR-a".

Now, theoretically, that name could have a nice sound to it, if not for the fact that people for the rest of her life are going to be calling her CAMERA! What a headache for the kid!

And unfortunately, they have a difficult to pronounce surname to go with it.

Other people I know, who are far more charitable than I am, say the name is pretty, different, whatever. I say it is stupid. Am I wrong? Would you know how to pronounce it? Do you like it?

What do the good citizens of the DIS say? LOL.

I think they should have changed the spelling to Kamera, with a hyphen over the first A.

Pretty name, bad spelling.

The Mystery Machine said:
I think they should have changed the spelling to Kamera, with a hyphen over the first A.

Pretty name, bad spelling.

::yes:: I agree.

There is a girl at DD3's daycare who is named Camerra and it is pronounced like you are showing. DD7's name is Camree pronounced like the car - Camry. She was named after a friend in college's daughter but they actually spelt it Camry.

My stepdaughter's name is Calla (pronounced Kayla) and I always tell her dad - DH - that he must have been smoking something when he and the x named her. Poor child has gone her whole life with her name ALWAYS being mispronounced and misspelled. Most people pronounce it like calla lily...which makes sense to me.

Some folks seem to go out of their way to make life difficult for their kids. Can you imagine her teenage years or even the tween years when kids are cruel enough without giving them added ammunition!

Wasn't Arthur Ashe's daughter named Camera? I think it was pronounced Ca-mer-a.

Yep, its stupid alright... :lmao: That kid is gonna have a hard time all her life because of that. If they are determined to name her that the very least they should of done is to change around the spelling. That doesnt show any intelligence on their part I dont think.

Perhaps if they have a boy they can name him "Philm" and they'll have a matching set... :rotfl2: :lmao:

Heh, I love the nickname Cami, but don't necessarily love Cameron for a girl. Since Tami comes from Tamera, I gues Cami come from Camera. But even I wouldn't go that far!

So, I agree it's stupid.

I don't really know how stupid it is. At the risk of sounding "sophomoric", it really depends on how developed she'll be one day. :lmao:

Ummm, yeah, I vote stupid, at least with that spelling.

At least she didn't name the kid "sure shot" or "photo". Whats wrong with people anyway? Yes that name is stupid, poor kid.

Well it's not as bad as Brooke Delight which sounds like ..... well I won't say what it sounds like this is a family board.

All that comes to mind is the brit com, keeping up apperinces. You know Mrs. Bucket, I mean Bouquet. You know where everyone keeps calling her Mrs. Bucket and she is always correcting them. The thing is her husband says it was always Bucket until he meet her. :rotfl: :rotfl2:

I really don't understand the need to name your child something "different". I mean if you don't want 5 of them in their class look at the top 10 names and don't pick one of those. I think is something different if it is family name, or an ethnic name with meaning, but to make up stuff......................

Incase you didn't know my opinon, voting for stupid. :teeth:

DisneyPhD said:
All that comes to mind is the brit com, keeping up apperinces. You know Mrs. Bucket, I mean Bouquet. You know where everyone keeps calling her Mrs. Bucket and she is always correcting them. The thing is her husband says it was always Bucket until he meet her. :rotfl: :rotfl2:

OMG that is so funny! :rotfl: Actually, a lot of these "name suggestions" you all have are cracking me up. :rotfl:

I know an Angel... but not pronounced like you think it would be in is
ANN- gel (as in emphasis on ANN, and a soft gel at end) like Angelica

Your post reminded me of an ER episode where Abby is working on the labor and delivery floor. A mother decides she wants to name her daughter "Chair" so that she can be different.

I feel for the poor girl. Hopefully she will get a nickname or has a middle name that she can use.

eta: my name was once different and no one, not even the teachers knew how to pronounce it. It is hard to grow up being different from your friends. I knew no one with my name growing up. So yes I do think it is hard on the kids. I dont think the name itself is stupid I just think it is hard to be the odd one out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter