• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Camera Regret?

Those are awesome images! I have a cannon T3i DSLR and an iphone 5 and I can't get inside images to come out that clear! I always have a problem with inside photos! I have a speedlite too but no flash photography so that doesn't help me!

No flash....I use a Canon 5D Mark II

This is why you bring your DSLR...These images cannot be taken with a iPhone.
The OP specifically said she's BTDT with those type images and wants primarily candids. There should be plenty of opportunities for candids everywhere, not just in low light venues.

Question about camera regret... We go to the World 2 to 3 times a year and I always carry my big DSLR Canon 5D camera. As much as I love my camera and my pictures we do not need any more of those same posed pictures in front of the major icons. The 3 of us have iPhones and these days all we same to take are candid, which I think my phone is enough. Will I regret not having my bog camera to much? My husband thinks I will, but I just really do not want to carry it, to be honest.

I don't think I-Phone pictures are that great. They are good for an unexpected moment picture but for vacation I would bring a point & shoot. Mine is small enough to fit in the palm of my hand.
The more you know about photography, the better your images are - with any camera. As I said, I'm getting very good pictures and video with my iPhone.

Okay thanks for everyones opinions, while I know that I will bring my camera some, I will not bring it every day.

We as a family are more interested in the photos that have us in them, rather than photos of the park itself. Although, those are certainly some gorgeous photos.

As for my phone, I know that it does not take photos as good as my camera, but I think that sometimes I get caught up in taking pictures of the moment and not enjoying the moment. That is what I am trying to prevent.

Thanks, Kelli

I understand completely, I feel like I fall victim to not being in the moment sometimes! I do have the most awesome picture of my DS6 at Jedi training academy that I would not have gotten with my iphone5 or my P&S Canon 12MP camera. It was one of those candid moments and I have the greatest picture to remember it by! I wish I knew how to post a picture on here to show you what I mean. You really never know when the need to have it moment will arise, that's why I always bring that bulky thing with me to the parks! You just cant beat the quality of the pics but it a pain to carry. I bought a lens with a range from 18-200 and that helps, I only carry the camera and that one lens! Honestly, WDW is one of the places where I get to use my DSLR cause I don't carry my DSLR with me, just use iphone.

The 5D is awesome, but I just couldn't handle carrying that thing around in the parks all day. My Canon Elph has taken plenty of very good shots, plenty good enough for our Disney trips; much better than an iPhone & such, and it still fits in my shorts pocket. (I wear cargo shorts at Disney and use the two lower side pockets for my small camera and camcorder)

That way, they are both ready, and both of my hands are free and I don't have to carry anything on my shoulders. No fanny pack (not a fan), no backpack, camera bag... very freeing. :thumbsup2

Dan

I bring my Canon DSLR and a Speedlite flash, but I keep it in a small cinch backpack on my back with my wallet so I don't even notice I brought it. Have you thought about putting it in something lightweight on your back? I don't keep it out at all times, but it is readily available.

If you are unhappy with having many of the same photos, maybe you could just try to take no posed photos on this trip.

I wouldn't rely on an iPhone's camera. Sure it is quick, but the quality will be pretty bad, especially if you want to print or enlarge the photos. There is no good way to take a photo in dark lighting, too, so you'll be very limited on what photos you can take.

I have a Canon Powershot, that although it is not quite a bulky as a DSLR camera, it is quite bulky. Last year we bought a little pocket size Powershot for Disney and I really regretted not having the big camera. The pictures were okay, but not nearly as good as with the nicer camera. I already told DH that he was going to have to schlep the big camera around again this fall because I missed the really good pictures.

This is why you bring your DSLR...These images cannot be taken with a iPhone.

[[/IMG]

I was going to comment on a photo to say that I loved it, but then I looked at more and kept saying "And this one...and this one..." so I shall just say that I enjoyed ALL of your photos!

Also, I cannot imagine going to any "event" or family vacation, day out, etc without my camera. I just cannot. Taking pictures is part of how I enjoy something, and I would be kicking the crap outta myself if I missed a great shot because I just didn't feel like carrying my camera.

That being said, there are times that I don't get that perfect shot because I would rather enjoy the moment first person rather than through a lens, but I still like to have the option.

I have brought the big camera ever since I got it and have never minded carrying it around--I've gotten some really nice shots of family + parks that I love. But, if you're sick of carrying it around, I'd recommend bringing it to Florida and then seeing how you feel. You don't need it in the parks every day, but if you get photo-regret part way through, you're good to go.

I'd also think a little about your bag/strap/number of lenses that you carry at one time situation. You might be able to make an adjustment there (for example, a 1-lens day and a bodybag for the camera and then just carry it on its strap) that will make carrying it less tedious.

Generally modern cellphone cameras are great in good light with low dynamic range at close distances. If you're planning on shooting close to your subjects, outside, during the day, the cell phone camera will probably do fine--but when you start to move beyond those conditions, you might start to see its limits.

Question about camera regret... We go to the World 2 to 3 times a year and I always carry my big DSLR Canon 5D camera. As much as I love my camera and my pictures we do not need any more of those same posed pictures in front of the major icons. The 3 of us have iPhones and these days all we same to take are candid, which I think my phone is enough. Will I regret not having my bog camera to much? My husband thinks I will, but I just really do not want to carry it, to be honest.

Have you ever regretted not having the big camera?

Thanks, Kelli

I use a Sony DSC-RX100 pocket camera and it takes photos almost as good as any DSLR, but not heavy

Look into the SONY RX100 or the Fuji XE1 with kit lens (although somewhat limited raw support on the Fuji) But brillant JPEGS.

we have a canon s95 (now the s100) and it takes great shots in a pocketable size. The iphone may be fine for you but if you want better low light shots (which is better at disney) then a camera phone may not be enough

People taking pictures exclusively with their phones must be carrying around some extra batteries. Mine will barely - and sometimes not - make it through a Disney day even without using it for photos.

I struggle with this decision as well. For our next trip, I still plan to take the DSLR, but I am not planning to carry it to the park EVERY day. I am sure I will miss some shots on those days that I don't take it, but I hope that I have that "free" feeling of a previous poster and can just enjoy the moments with my family.

When I do not use flash and turn the iso up, my pictures are grainy and you can't be very still on a ride to adjust the shutter speed or aperature! You did a great job!

You couldn't do it with film, but with digital, you get

a) wide aperture lens (f 1.2 or better)
b) image stabilization
c) noise reduction

We have a Canon Elph and love love love it. DH did hours of research on this and we couldn't be happier. It's tiny and we carry it in our pockets. And I took dozens of nighttime pictures and they turned out amazingly well. I didn't take pics every second of the day but I find I still like capturing things on every trip!

No regrets here. We think our iPhones do a great job with candid. You could bring it and leave it in the room some of the days. We've done that. It does feel liberating not having it. It can be even more liberating to say, let's not take any pics today.
Also, I'm under the philosophy that a video is worth a thousand pictures. In other words. We will take some pretty good video with our iPhones to replace our awesome picture. Video is a great primer of memories regardless of quality.

I have used my smart phone a LOT for pictures the past three years, and have gotten some amazing pictures, as well as some great HD video that I would never have gotten without the smart phone. However, I have also brought my DSLR with me to the parks. When I didn't carry it, DD did.

Now then, fast forward to this coming summer, and I'm not sure. DS has outgrown the stroller, so I no longer have that convenient place to park the camera when my neck needs a break from it. DD is going to be in college, and not with us, so it will only be DW, DS and I. We will see if I still carry the DSLR along in the parks. I'm leaning towards bringing it anyway, and just perhaps not carrying it every day. There is def a difference in image quality between the smart phone and the DSLR, especially in low light situations.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter