Camera recommendations

tink645

Mouseketeer
I am looking to purchase a new camera. I need something small and simple that takes good pics. I would like to find something with high MPs. I have always had good luck with Kodak, but the sales people keep telling me that they are having problems with Kodak. I'm not sure that I believe them, I think that they might be trying to push the more expensive ones.

I am not a technological person. I just want something I can literally point & shoot.

TIA!!!

I LOVE my sony cybershot. Its a great point and shoot, but still has the ability to do other things if you decide you want to do that.

Here is a great deal at best buy :)

i have a cannon and its great! its been very durable and through alot! i would highly recommend it!!

Wal-Mart online has a great price for a 9.2mp Kodak Easyshare bundle. YOu get the camera, a case, a battery charger and 4 rechargable batteries for $99. If you ship it to the store, there are no shipping costs.They don't have the deal in the stores because I looked there before I ordered online. My mom had a couple of Easyshares and loved them. I bought one for dd12. Good luck finding one.

Love my Canon powershot! I have also used a Nikon CoolPix and had reasonably good luck with it.

I love my sony cybershot...it has a carl zeiss lens.

That said, I just bought my daughter a Panasonic Lumix...it has a leica lens.

The lens can really matter on a point and shoot, and these were the best two I could find. I really looked around at reviews as well!

Good luck! The choices can be overwhelming!

I've always had very good luck with Nikon's. Lots of places have been offering fantastic deals on them 8 or 9 MP for about $100 or so. Also, I bought my DD and my mom a Kodak Easyshare for Christmas/Birthday gifts. I don't think you can do wrong with a Kodak.

I have a Nikon and an Olympus and I absolutely LOVE my Olympus - no lag time, great photos, 8 megapixels, I take photos of shows that we go to with NO problem since it has a great menu for available light.

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a sample of the pics I took at Lion King & Hairspray.OH and of Jean Chatzky (the Finance person on the Today) - she was sitting close to us on the beach this summer and I took a pic before we actually spoke with her - she came up to us on the tram to say that she loved my DD's hair.:rotfl:

Oh, it also has a great built-in zoom (18X). My DH gets mad since he has a Canon SLR and he can't get as close as I can even with his 200m lens.

I just got a Canon power shot and I LOVE it. I used to have a Sony and love the Canon so much more!!

Another vote for Cannons, I had two of them, I gave one to my sister, when I got my new one. My MIL just bought a Cannon power shot A590IS and I think is great.
Amazon has it on sale for $110.99 and JR had it on sale on Friday for $99.00 with free shipping and five dollars off if you use the goggle checkout.
Read the reviews on Amazon. This camera even has an easy mode, and uses 2 AA batteries (and also a large screen).

Good luck on your search

...and here's mine. My FIL works at a camera shop and he said when looking for a basic point and shoot the three top cameras are (no particular order) Sony cyber-shot, Nikon coolpix and Cannon power shot. I went w/ the Sony cyber shot and was thrilled w/ it! I loved it so much I upgraded to a higher mp and zoom this year.

In general you can't go wrong w/ any of the 3 just look for the features you would like and use. :thumbsup2

As for Kodak's, it's true that most places don't reccomend them as highly as the others. Just not as high of quality I suppose.

Good luck w/ your search! :goodvibes

Don't get too wrapped up in Megapixels - that is the most overrated thing in photography today. Think about it. A few years ago 6 MPs was a HUGE amount even for PROFESSIONAL model SLRs. Today? You can get 6 MPs out of some cell phones.

Were the professional photos a few years ago horrible because they were "only" 6 MPs? No.

FYI: Yours won't be either.

everyone i know who has owned a kodak in the last 10 years has had bad luck with it. my sister had hers die on her while it was taking a picture - it corrupted all the data and we lost a ton of photos. it was only 3 years old and very expensive to have die in such a short amount of time. my boyfriend's parents just told me that theirs has started acting up, it's only 2 years old. i would not personally purchase one.

my family has: olympus, canon, fujifilm and samsung and have had great luck with all of them.

i bought my boyfriend an olympus on black friday for 120$. it's a good little camera, perfect for him. it has 8mp (olympus fe370). i was almost going to get a sony or a canon, but found the menu to be more complicated than he needed (he's not a camera guy).

and like golf4food said, the mp isn't going to make your photos clearer. my boyfriend's 8 mp camera compares with my 3 year old, 6 mp samsung in quality (i want to say that my 6 mp is actually better quality than his is).

I am enjoying this. I posted a similar thread about a month ago. 2 weeks before our trip to Disney our camera broke. I LOVED that camera but I had 2 of them and they both cracked after about 11 months. In the end I bought my same camera but refurbished this time. It didn't work out, after 2 cameras they both had issues so no I am back to square one. I love my cameras, but 2 broken in 2 years makes me think I need to find a new camera.
I want image stabilizer and at least 8mp. I also want it to be easy and small. I loved a Sony I saw but I have tons of memory sticks I didn't wnat to have to start over buying new ones.

We purchased a Panasonic TZ5 earlier this year and LOVE it!! I was looking for a camera that I could slide in my pocket that had a large display screen on the back. This one isn't quite as slim as I would have wanted, but it still fits in my pocket or purse very easily, and the quality of pictures is great!!

It has 9.1mp, 10X zoom, and what they call "Auto Intelligence" mode, which automatically adjusts all your settings for you when you are shooting. Or, you can select a mode such as portrait, fireworks, pets, food, ect... Another nice thing is that it will shoot video in HD, so if you are wanting to take nice quality short videos, it's great for that.

It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. I think we spent just under $300 back at the beginning of the year, but I just looked it up on Amazon and they are listing it for $223.84. After all the compliments I've received about the great pictures this camera takes, I think it's definitely worth it. 3 of my friends have purchased one of these, and another is hinting very strongly to her DH that she wants one for Christmas.

There is a TZ4 that it very similar and less expensive, with the only difference being it is 8.1mp and it does not record videos in HD. We purchased this one for DH's parents right before our Disney trip in October from Costco for about $200 and it came with a camera bag and a 1g memory card. They love it!!

I love my Sony Cybershot! Although not as expensive (or cheap) as other brands, it took wonderful photos of the Wishes fireworks in May (first time shooting nighttime fireworks). I highly recommend it!:thumbsup2

That said, I sure hope the reviews about the Kodak cameras are wrong. I just bought 2 pink ones for around $100 each for my DD13 and DD14 and they're under the tree! :eek:

I am replacing my husband's Sony with a Canon as it does not meet his needs.

Check out the SD790 and 1100 (if you don't mind a smaller display).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter