• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Camera recommendation for college student

WDWorld2003

DIS Veteran
We are purchasing a new digital camera for our daughter for her BD. She is in architecture and needs to take many photos of models (inside) and outside shots of buildings. She has an older HP Photosmart that isn't doing the job in low light situations.

She would like a point and shoot type camera that she can slip in her backpack. I know low light may be still be a problem because of the size but anything will be better than what she has. We would like to stay in the $200 to $300 range if possible.

Any recommendations would be very appreciated! We do have several SD cards floating around but are willing to change to another format if the quality warrants it.

The Fujis with the 1/1.6" - 1/1.8" sensors are a little better at low light, but do not expect it to improve the situation very much. Other brands with a similar sized sensor should be decent, but Fujis seem to have the best reputation. Just be sure to avoid the smaller 1/2.5" ones.

Kevin

For taking photos of non-moving objects(like buildings), optical image stabilization also helps very much.

I would also look for a camera that shoots very wide.

Given that her subjects don't move much, I would recommend a tripod over a new camera. Even cheap cameras can do OK in low light with a longer shutter speed while sitting on a tripod.

In the long run, architecture photography will eventually push her to an SLR/DSLR so that she can use perspective correcting lenses. They aren't cheap, though, so I'd put that off for as long as possible.

Fugi FinePix F40fd

Fugi makes some that are for more professional photographers, but this one is great for me and right around $200. My night pictures are fantastic! It has a lot of good features and is very easy to use!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter