• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Camera questions

bankgirl05

DIS Veteran
I didn't want to hi jack some one else's thread to ask my questons:thumbsup2I need a camera that has a faster shutter speed, but most of them don't advertise what the shutter speed is.* Both of my digital cameras are soooo ssslllooooowwwww;) that between the time I push the button and the time the picture is actually taken my 3 year old and one year old are off running** (in opposite* directions):confused3:confused3* I was looking at the waterproof types since we are beach/ water park visitors often, but again, don't know how fast and user friendly they are.* Can someone help give me hints what to look for?:)

What you're actually looking for is a camera with a short shutter lag. (Shutter speed is a term used in exposure setting.) Unfortunately most of the specs won't report this and most point & shoots are notoriously bad in this respect. I would look at reviews, etc., and concentrate on comments on shutter lag. Some reviews may also have this information. It's also a good idea to visit an actual store and try some out.

One trick to getting faster shots is to prefocus/-meter by pressing the shutter button halfway before taking the shot.

Unfortunately most point and shoot cameras experience shutter lag, so it is hard to find one that doesn't. I read reviews for the Nikon Coolpix, that says they are less likely to have that problem. Otherwise, the only way to truly avoid it is to get a DSLR. Although, sometimes a very high quality memory card (like Extreme) can be used, and will make it a bit better. It's the actual processing that slows the camera down.

www dot steves-digicams dot com has great reviews for p&s cameras. if you scroll thru until the very end to "his conclusion", he'll usually tell you how the shutter lag performs.

i had a kodak 7440 that's not made anymore, but bought it specifically for that reason. i'm a canon girl, but that kodak performed very well.

to truly not get shutterlag, you have to go with a dSLR.

I agree with the DSLR comment. But that isn't feasible for everyone.
Since you are a huge water park person I can recommend th Canon D10. I was holding out for a different camera but it didn't come out until the day we left for hawaii.
It is a bulky camera and ugly but for a p&s I think it does well.
My kids take better pics with it than I do as I am so used to the dslr aspects lol, been shooting professionally for 3 years and shooting slrs for over 12.
I will be back to post a couple in a few that were shot with it. Again it is UGLY but it took a beating with the currents in hawaii and my kids and still works like a charm.

3977661390_6dcddc77bc_o.jpg

3976899267_a2ea1e08de_o.jpg

3976899211_a3a28933c8_o.jpg

OK they aren't "GREAT" and not as good as I can get my DSLR, but they are far better than the disposible cameras.
I am just not ready to drop about 10 grand on a really nice underwaterset up lol so the p&s will have to do for now.
Hope they help.

IMO you can't go wrong with the Panasonic Lumix ZS3, on sale right now through Amazon for 298.

As a DSLR user myself who needed an everyday camera to toss in the purse for those unplanned must capture moments I have been beyond thrilled with this camera. It's fully automatic leaving you with the options to set scenes or shoot in "IA" (intelligent auto) mode, so if you want infinite control of every this this wont be for you, but if you want some thing easy, with outstanding results AND HD video to boot this is the camera to own.

Just for a few examples here's a blog post recently with some images shot with the ZS3. Mind you they are reduced and compressed for space, but you can get the idea. There's also a sample of the video it can produce in that post.

As for shutter lag, I've never experienced an issue with it with this camera *except* in portrait mode with red eye reduction turned on. Then it's just the pre fire of the flash that delays the picture, so unless I am intentionally shooting something I know is staying still I avoid that mode. 99% of the time I stick to "IA" with amazing results (especially from a P&S!).

If your on a budget, I bought a Kodak Easy share c160. My best freind has a 2,4,8,10 year old. I take LOTS of photos of them and never missed a action shot yet. Its not waterproof but the case I bought is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter