Camera question?????

eeubanks

Earning My Ears
I have a really nice Canon Rebel DSLR that takes great pictures, and has an extra lens. I also have a sony cypershot, which is small and would easily fit in a small purse. My question is which one would you reccommend to take to the parks??? I would love to take my big camera it takes such great pictures, but at the same time I am afraid it would get lost or stolen and it was a very expensive camera. The cybershot would be much easier to carry, but the picture quality won't be nearly as good. What does everybody else take??? If I do take the more expensive camera, does everybody carry it in it's separte camera case?? We will have a stroller, so carrying the extra case won't be an issue, but I'm afraid it may be an issue when riding rides. I know you disers will have a great answer!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to take my smaller camera (Canon Powershot)on the days we're going to be there for awhile, but if we're going to go to a park for just a few hours (for a ADR meal and a ride or two, for example) I may lug my Canon DSLR. I really hate carrying it around so definitely don't plan to carry it for any length of time. I'm sure you could take it on the rides with you; when I've done that I've just put it in my backpack.

I've only been to WDW once in recent years, and that was what I did--going again in 10 days and trying to plan all this stuff out, too! My small Canon takes decent pics, though, so I'm not too worried.

Have fun!!

I brought my Canon Rebel on our most recent trip. I have 4 different lenses, but I only brought 1. I didn't want to deal with all the extra stuff! I did take it in a separate camera bag - I have a small size that just fits the camera with one attached lens.

It wasn't a problem on any of the rides. I just held it with me. I would have been concerned if I didn't have it secured in a separate bag though. And I'm so glad I took it with - the pictures are much better than the ones I got with my small nikon.

I really wouldn't be worried about it getting stolen - though if you're prone to losing things (though big cameras are hard to misplace, it can certainly happen) you may wish to be careful.

My dad usually carries around a fairly large camera and takes pictures constantly, the only issue with that is if you really want to carry a big camera around all day - but it's definitely worth the nicer pictures, in my humble opinion. :surfweb:

I bring my big Nikon DSLR to every park all day.......after awhile, I don't even notice it. I take it on all the rides, and just hang on to it.

I have a Nikon DSLR and also a Sony Cybershot. I will probably carry the sony with me (it is so small) and let my kids take pics with it. I WILL NOT GO without my Nikon :). Like a PP, I have a small camera bag (Lowpro) that fits my camera and one lens perfectly. I am also going to do Photopass so that I can be in some of the family pics -- DH doesn't take very good pics when I want one of me with my boys.

What's the point of having a nice camera that sits on a shelf so there's no chance of getting damaged.

Use the camera- take awesome pictures, and enjoy it!

I would say it depends how fanatic you are about good photos. If you're just interested in having photos of your family enjoying the parks for posterity's sake, I'd say just bring the small camera. Not because of concerns about your expensive camera getting broken or stolen, but because of weight. Carrying around a DSLR (especially with extra lenses) while walking in the parks all day can be a real pain. How do I know?

Because I am fanatic about photos. When I go in the parks I take my Canon Rebel, 2-3 lenses, a number of filters and a tripod (sometimes 2). I have a separate camera case for it and keep the extra lenses (especially the zoom) in our "park bag". DH takes his point and shoot camera which is used for most of our "here, stand in front of this and have your photo taken" shots. It's also a lot easier to hand off to strangers to have them take your photos (most people look at the DSLR with terror in their eyes if you do this).

What do I bother with the big camera for? Close up shots of the howler monkeys at DAK, night beauty shots of the lit up Sorceror's Hat, crystal clear images of family members coming down the Splash Mountain drop, time lapsed images of the EPCOT jumping fountains. If you're not going to put that kind of effort and detail into your photos (for instance, if you have kids and you're more interested in having fun with them than in spending half your park days making art to hang on your walls back home) then don't bother with the big camera.

I'd say bring the big camera, there are times when you want that "in the moment" type shot and your DSLR will be able to capture it while you're P&S might not. That happened to us back in May. I was able to get some shots whereas my wife's P&S missed a few good ones due to shutter lag etc from her cam.

I usually bring my Nikon DSLR to the parks. I have a backpack type carrying case for it (which also holds two additional lenses, filters and various other items) so it doesn't bother me and can easily be brought on rides. I wouldn't be concerned about it getting broken or stolen.

I have also gone with just my point and shoot. I agree with the other poster who said if you are going to be mostly taking photos of family enjoying their vacation, the Sony would be sufficient. While DSLRs can't be beat, point and shoots take decent photos these days.

I bring my 7D for 'the good shots' and a Sony P&S. Depending on what we're doing on a given day one or both will be with me.

I tote my 50D all over the parks and often have a couple of lenses with me. I keep the camera around my neck (get a comfy strap if you decide to do this) in a lenscoat body bag... I've got the one that allows for a standard zoom lens. Most of the time I stash the lenses in the hip pack I carry, sometimes I carry a lens bag.

I bought my first slr camera last october and Im really looking forward to take it to disney next sept 2012:) So i say use ur slr too;)

We have both the Canon Rebel as well as a Powershot. We bring both. We are DVCers so we are at WDW many times. We decided that rather than lugging the Rebel all over every day, we would take one or two days that we designate as photo days and then go off wandering and taking pictures. We usually don't do a lot of rides on those days, and, because of that, we find nooks and crannies of the parks we never knew about. Works for us!

I love my little Canon SD1200 is. I would never bring a big DSLR into the parks unless my only goal was to take photos. It would get in the way, and would be hard to find a place for on some rides.

I loved the ability to have my little camera in my pocket and just grab it quick and then put it back in my pocket.

I got GREAT photos. Between our pictures with the Canon and the photopass pictures, there were plenty of awesome shots.

Dan

Take the Rebel!!!! No point in having it if you aren't going to use it. I have taken mine on all 5 trips, along with a couple of lenses and really never notice I am toting it. I carry a backpack with lenses and ususally the camera is around my neck, just like it is at home.

We bring our Rebel (with multiple lenses) and a cute little point and click... oh, and an HD video camera. We're picture people.

The Rebel is our most used one but you're right, that sucker is kind of a pain to haul around.

By all means take your dslr. Remember you can always get a locker for your bag and extra lenses. Personally I only take a 17-55mm lens which isn't all that heavy. Its wide enough and long enough for most everything except AK. I do take my 70-200mm for there, which usually is only one day during the trip.

I take my rebel, unless its rainy when we leave in the morning. We used to pay for photopass and after I got my new rebel we will never pay for it again. True we don't get the magic shots but I have just found that I take much better pictures with it than without. Yes, I still take my small cyber shot as well, it fits in my little wristlet. But they both take great pictures but in my opinion you can not beat my rebel for any shots that are taken at night.

kelli

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter