Camera Question

zendisney

<font color=deeppink>The Dis is like potato chips.
I am in the market for a new digital camera.
I want it to be light weight and easy to use.
My allowance for a new one is about $500.00.
ANybody know what I should get?
I heard Canons are good. The past few cameras I have had are Kodak easy shares... any ideas???
:idea:

Nikon cameras are very good also. :) What are you looking for? A pocket camera or a DSLR? What will you be using the camera for?

Digital cameras are a fad, like the Internet. Get yourself a bird with a chisel. It was good enough for Fred Flintstone it's good enough for the rest of us.

I just purchased a Nikon Coolpix L110 and so far am very pleased. It is a 12mp, 15x optical zoom. It is super lightweight, runs on 4AA batteries (a plus for me, I love being able to throw extra batteries in the bag and know I will always have juice), and take AMAZING shots! They are calling it a "bridge" digital. It's not so much a point and shoot, but it is also not a DSLR - and it runs under $300 - here's an amazon link: amazon - it looks bigger on the computer, it fits great in your hand!

I should mention my last camera was a small(ish) Canon Powershot A1000

I basically take pics all the time.
I have lots of SD cards so that would be a plus if the new camera took those.
Our dd 4, pets, scenery, Disney Parks, Vacations...
I love taking photos.
So I guess the answer is everything.
I am thinking of creating a blog and would like to use photos in it... I like scrapbooking.

I am looking for something with better quality phots than my kodak easy share.

Check out Sony dsc-tx5. It's a new compact model. Very nice size. Touch screen. It's waterproof, shockproof, and dustproof. Also takes 720p video. It's made in Japan and feels really well built.

If you can spare another $100 it is well worth it. I got the Nikon D3000 Digital Single Lens Reflex(DSLR) for Christmas and I love taking abstract photos with it because of the awesome clarity. People and dog photos are excellent as well. It runs on an ion battery which I love because it is cost effective. It is kind of bulky, but if you want excellent quatlity out of a DSLR that's what you will find. If you're not in the market for a DSLR I would recommend any Canon or Nikon for a point and shoot. Hope this helps and happy shopping!

I basically take pics all the time.
I have lots of SD cards so that would be a plus if the new camera took those.
Our dd 4, pets, scenery, Disney Parks, Vacations...
I love taking photos.
So I guess the answer is everything.
I am thinking of creating a blog and would like to use photos in it... I like scrapbooking.

I am looking for something with better quality phots than my kodak easy share.

With what you have described I would definitely check out some starter DSLR's.. You may spend a hundred or so more but it will be SO WORTH IT.

Make sure you check out Canon, Nikon, and Olympus. Each has their followers on why they are the best, truthfully, they are all very good. It's how comfortable you feel with the camera in your hand that is very important and how comfortable you are with the dials and such as you want to be able to really learn and you will use the dials alot :)

Check out the photo board, lots of camera info there.

I have a Sony a300 DSLR as well as a DSC T-90 and love them both. As Pete says "In the interest of full disclosure, I have a financial relationship with Sony" (They pay my salary;)) but I really think we have some great products. The new TX7 that just came out has the iSweep panorama feature that allows you to take a very wide panoramic shot by pressing the shutter button and panning the camera around: the camera detects the pan and creates the panorama. It also has the ability to take High Def video in AVCHD (1920X1080).

If you are looking for a tiny pocket camera that takes great photos and video....I have the Canon Power shot SD 780 IS and love it.

It takes regular SD cards and weighs ounces. It's 2 in. x 3.25 x .5.

Great camera and I just saw it on Amazon for approx $180.00.

I just got the Sony DSC W350 cybershot camera before my ABD trip. It is a fantastic camera. Super small, takes SD as well as Memory stick cards. The panarama shots are awesome and I can take video too.
This little gem will not dissappoint

My best advice is if you don't want to go with a full DSLR, but want really good pictures especially of distant things, get one with a high OPTICAL zoom and a largish lens. This would make the camera bigger, but the pictures will be better. We have a Canon S3 IS and it does real well. It's bulky if you just want to stick it in your pocket though.

If you want a really compact model, there are many to choose from. Can't say one is significantly better than another. We did just get a Kodak I think for DD#1 that is pretty good - I could probably get the model number tomorrow.

FYI if you go to my site and look under trip reports, ALL the pictures were taken with the Canon - including the superwide panoramic of LMA...

Not sure how small you actually are looking, but this is something to look at:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-ZS3-Digital-Stabilized-Blue/dp/B001QFZMCY

This comes with an amazing wide-angle Leica lens(12x) and takes great shots. We have a Nikon DSLR that we use for serious shots, but this thing can compete. We leave for Italy in a week and plans to use the Panasonic for the casual everyday shots. The whole process of selecting the right camera for you is so confusing -for us this had the best lens, with the best size(although it could be slightly smaller), at the most competitive price. It's the old, you can't have everything.

I'm a Canon fan myself (currently using a 7D, so I'm not recommending that), but something to consider would be one of the new Olympus PEN cameras, like this one from Amazon. It brings the ability to change lenses and large sensor that a DSLR offers with the smaller size, cost, and easier Live View that compact P/S cameras offer.

Just my $0.02. I think that you will end up liking whatever you choose. We tend to grow toward the tools we use.

If you are looking for a tiny pocket camera that takes great photos and video....I have the Canon Power shot SD 780 IS and love it.

It takes regular SD cards and weighs ounces. It's 2 in. x 3.25 x .5.

Great camera and I just saw it on Amazon for approx $180.00.

Love the canon Powershot SD Series. I've had 3 and used many in the series. I still have one that is over 6 years old and works great. I bought a waterproof case for it, so it now acts as my underwater camera on all cruises and in the pool :)

I finally decided on a camera.
And the winner is... Canon Power shot SD 780 IS. :dance3::yay::yay:
I got it from Amazon. (Thanks for the tip Kevin)
I appreciate all the good advice that everyone gave me.
I am excited about the new camera.
I will have to figure out how to post pictures here on the disboards.
We will be at AKL in less than two weeks.
Awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter