Camera or not?

That's a tough one. I could not go cameraless. (Is that a word? ;) )

You see, those photos are captured moments in time that I want to be able to look back on. Our kids are only this age once. I CHERISH the video we have from each of the last three years. :goodvibes:goodvibes I've truly enjoyed editing each year down to a short video (15 minutes or so). It's a great way to remember each visit.

The difficulty comes in balancing the good and the bad of photos/video. I could never lug around a full size DSLR camera or large camcorder. I wear cargo shorts and keep a small Canon Elph camera in one side pocket, and a small HD camcorder in the other. They are both ready when needed. I don't like watching things happen through a screen, but on the flipside, I would be VERY bummed not to have the photos and video that I have now.

Each year, less photos and video are taken. Kind of the, been there, done that, sort of thing. But there are always those organic magical moments that happen each year that are unique and special, and I don't want to miss them. I do NOT take a lot of photos and video, but I do try to capture just enough of the critical moments so that I can recall them later. :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Dan

I took my camera last year and ended up taking over 700 photos. While that is ALOT, it was also our first trip to Disney in 12 years and it was during the Flower & Garden Festival so I went overboard with photos!

This year, I believe we're doing the Photopass+ option. I'm still bringing my camera, but that's because it'll be decorated for Christmas.

LOL.....700 photos on a Disney trip isn't a lot I've taken that in a day. :rotfl:

To the OP, Honestly I could NEVER go to the parks without my camera but photography is my hobby and I would go crazy if I couldn't take pics. We have a lot of fun taking pics but also have it down to a science so it doesn't take any time at all.

I never get them developed into prints but make photo books every year and put the best ones in there. I also like to look at all the old Disney pics on my computer to remember all the vacations. Priceless memories and I can't imagine not having them.

I just finished going through 2,500 photos, narrowed them down to 790, made a slideshow and also added Disney music to it. Everyone that has seen it loves it. I do want to have some developed but will narrow that down even further.

How long does it take to go through 790 slides??? Yikes!

I take a few shots with my cellphone, and that's it. We've been multiple times, and when the kids were little I took photos of them together, with the characters, etc. Now DD19 is my Disney buddy, we got in 3 trips together this year, and I only took about 20 photos between those 3 trips. Brought my camera on the last trip, used it one day, got sick of lugging it around and worrying about it getting wet, left it back in the room for the rest of the trip.

I guess if it's your only trip, or the kids are still in the cute phase, then I see taking a ton of photos, but other than that? I really don't need a record of how much weight hubby has gained, or how many more wrinkles I have now...

It depends on you. Like others have said, I love taking photos as a hobby. When we get home I'll spend the new few months editing them and putting them into a book that the kids then pull out regularly to look at. So our pictures really get used. I don't take too many 'iconic' photos, but the ones that are high value to me are the 'random' ones like the first time we found Aladdin's lamp in DL, or the pictures on Tom Sawyer Island. I would be miserable if I didn't have a camera in those instances... so I tote around the DSLR.

The past few years I've used my Iphone as my camera. The camera on the phone to me is the same as a regular camera and it means one less thing to have to carry around.

On our last trip a couple of weeks ago I went one night without my camera and just took the point & shoot. As it was evening in the MK i felt I missed a lot of opportunities for some good shots that you just can't get with a P & S.

I will say that hauling the camera got a lot easier after I bought a Rapidstrap. It screws into the tripod mount and I just sling it over my shoulder with the camera hanging at the end. The only bad thing is the camera is just about head height for a lot of the kids and I get a few heads banging off the camera when they are not paying attention (which is frequently).

Personally I can't travel a whole trip without it, I can always find something new to shoot. This year I got a new wide angle lens so I played with it.

IMG_7356_57_58_59_60_61_tonemapped.jpg

on our last trip a couple of weeks ago i went one night without my camera and just took the point & shoot. As it was evening in the mk i felt i missed a lot of opportunities for some good shots that you just can't get with a p & s.

I will say that hauling the camera got a lot easier after i bought a rapidstrap. It screws into the tripod mount and i just sling it over my shoulder with the camera hanging at the end. The only bad thing is the camera is just about head height for a lot of the kids and i get a few heads banging off the camera when they are not paying attention (which is frequently).

Personally i can't travel a whole trip without it, i can always find something new to shoot. This year i got a new wide angle lens so i played with it.

img_7356_57_58_59_60_61_tonemapped.jpg

what an amazing shot!

I also could not go camera-less. Photography makes me happy/brings me joy. The last few years, I have had both my DSLR and my mini-camcorder in my lap. I can take thousands of shots in a 10 day vacation....which are edited significantly down in # once I get home. I often take several shots to make sure I get the one I like.

I love to photograph things that I otherwise wouldn't if I weren't seated or signs with words or the bars in the turnstiles (old Test Track bars were my favorite with blue & yellow & silver) that are a metaphor for my limitations or the fire during Illuminations that makes me feel joyful/free. On days I'm stuck in the hotel b/c I'm too unwell to go to the parks/meals that day, I photograph the details of the room. Wilderness Lodge Villas was the best for that.

Photography for me is an expression of myself and part of the enjoyment of living through a WDW vacation or through life. (Thankfully I have a patient husband!) That's why I feel that if bring a camera is something that makes you feel like it is hindering your enjoyment of living through your vaca, don't stress and leave the camera at home/hotel! Do what makes you happiest. :)

White Sox Fan, the photo you posted is fabulous! Thanks for sharing it!

I, personally, won't go without my camera gear, but I could absolutely see how someone would, and agree that iPhone camera technology has improved considerably.

to pose, no one wants to see the pictures once we get home (except DGS 3 who watches the slideshow on my computer). No cameras for me. Glad not to have the responsibility of memorializing the trip.

We don't go to Disney a lot, so I will be bringing a camera on this trip, but stuff that I have photographed on previous trips won't get re-shot. I have found myself more and more lately, in everyday life, not using the camera. Sometimes I do regret it afterwards, that I didn't take any pictures of a fun day, but then I remember: it was because I was actually present and enjoying the fun day! And he would never say so, but I know my DH is happier when I'm not stopping all the time to frame a shot. :)

We took a camera last year but literally took about 10 pics with it. I have my iPhone which I took tons of pics with and it annoyed my DH and DD. I told them this year pics will be less and they both were extremely relieved. :rotfl: My DH hates being behind the camera and just wants to enjoy it and my DD just hates having her pic taken. :confused3

This year, 3 of us used our iPhones as our cameras and captured the most beautiful shots! If if wasn't for our iPhones, we wouldn't have taken one shot. Our video camera stayed locked away in the room safe the entire trip and let me say, it was very nice for DH not to worry about it!

I don't have an Iphone but my husband has an Iphone 4S and I much prefer the quality of pictures taken on my little Canon Powershot camera.

I tried once on my May 2013 trip to leave the camera in the room but got to the edge of the parking lot on the way to the buses and couldn't do it. I turned around and went back to the room for my little camera. I guess I'm addicted to it. LOL

to pose, no one wants to see the pictures once we get home (except DGS 3 who watches the slideshow on my computer). No cameras for me. Glad not to have the responsibility of memorializing the trip.

I enjoy looking at old pics and memories and I can't imagine not having any. :confused3 My family are a bunch of idiots when it comes to posing but I also get a ton of non posed shots.

I'm definitely someone who takes my camera everywhere. I love photography and photo editing, though. I am going to have to try hard not to spend my trip with my face in a camera. Normally, I am good for at least a 1,000 photos on past trips I've taken to different places. My previous Disney photos were actual photos, and I do not have them now. :( Wish I did, so this trip I will be taking digital. I have made scrapbooks in the past, and would like to try and "replace" what I lost.

I can look at my vacation through the viewfinder of my camera or not, it's the same light hitting my eyes either way.

What I find when I go somewhere with my camera is that I pay so much more attention to the visuals around me. If my kids are with me I'm even more aware of their presence because I now have an opportunity to preserve that visual image and share it.

When you have a camera, the world becomes less ephemeral and you allow yourself to enjoy it more knowing that each moment does not have to disappear as soon as it occurs.

We always go camera-less. We are lucky enough to get to Disney about monthly and have no children. For us, there really isn't much to take pictures of unless something special is happening (a party, etc) or we want some new pictures of us.

I'd skip the camera - it's so nice to have one less than to lug around and you don't have to worry about taking pictures.

Haven't read all the other posts, but we just used our iPhones and PP+. We felt PP+ was the best. We got every ride photo and tons of posed pics of the family. Of course we also each took lots of pics with our iPhones too. My only regret is not making sure the lens on my iPhone was clean. Several of my pics were blurred.

I could not go without my camera. I fact, dh will bring his dslr and I am bringing my p&s. plus our phones. I scrapbook, so I will use our photos. Plus dh will make a sideshow and post it for our family and friends to see.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter