Camera Bags

Once again I highly recommend a ThinkTank Speed Racer V2 if you want to carry a lot and don't want a backpack or slingpak.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-racer-v2.aspx

On my trip to DisneyLand in May (high 70s - low 80s F temperature) I had the following in the bag (22 lbs loaded) - Canon 5D3 with 24-70 F/2.8L II mounted, 7D body, 600EX RT flash, 16-35 F/2.8, 24 F/1.4, 70-200 F/2.8, cards, batteries, etc. There are smaller versions of the same design (Speed Freak, Speed Demon) if you're not as much of a pack mule as I am!

The nice thing about this shoulder bag is that it has a padded waist strap which if tightened up a bit takes a lot of load off of the shoulder strap so that it doesn't dig in (although the waist belt can make walking awkward at times such as up stairs, etc.). Another nice feature of the waist belt is that it keeps the bag from flopping around when walking or leaning over plus it doesn't slip off of your shoulder.

Another big plus is that the bag doesn't leave your back all hot and sweaty. You can wear the bag anywhere you want (front, side, back) for variety in body load points.

I had my 5D3 on a Crumpler Industry Disgrace strap around my neck and with the ThinkTank bag positioned in front I could rest the camera on it while walking or standing to take some weight off my neck from the camera strap. With the bag swung in front it's easy to get stuff in and out (the top access zipper in the lid is useless as the opening is too small for the way I was loaded up); I changed lenses from the zoom to the fast prime for dark indoor flashless photo while standing in the line to get on the rides.

I carried the bag around the park for five days with minimal discomfort - ended up tired and sore from all the walking moreso than lugging gear around.

I've heard good things about the crumpler. It looks like what I'm looking for, although the think tank looks pretty cool as well.

I love my like the kit bag that originally came with my first dslr, but I've grown out of it, and I don't like having the backpack that I have, unless I'm just using it as a carry on.

I ordered my black rapid, and it should be in on Monday. Can't wait to try it out at the football game next week.

Since people here mentioned Crumpler - I cannot recommend them enough. That said though, I live in Europe and we get a completely different collection than you guys in the US do. I've found that a lot of "our" great bags are not available in the US.

Since carrying water with me at all times has now become an issue, I have gotten a Camelbak. I haven't really found a "quick escape" backpack for my camera equipment though that also will hold the Camelbak inside. The ones available are too small for my equipment (can't fit a camera with attached battery grip into any of them!) I have since gotten Crumpler's "fanny packs". Started out with the Jimmy Bo and have now gotten their new Quick Escape. These were not my first bags, I still have December Quarter and New Dehli messenger bags. I will not trade them for anything

I did one Disney trip with a Tamrac Adventure. My biggest problem with that was that the ventilation on the back was pretty much nonexistent. I was sweating like crazy. I have since gotten rid of that backpack and use a regular daypack or just a Camelbak plus the Crumpler. I just love it, especially since you can get your camera super quick!

I got my blackrapid in today! I can't wait to try it out this weekend. My godchild is coming in town, and we're going to the LSU game.

Wish I would have had it yesterday, as I would have attempted to bring my camera into the Superdome with the new bag rules.

I got this-

http://www.amazon.com/KT-D-3N1-20-S...&qid=1377921111&sr=8-1&keywords=kata+d-3n1-20

You can use it a sling backpack, traditional backpack... it's pretty flexible and in sling style, you can access it while wearing it by sliding it around front.

I have a Kata bag like this, but with a laptop slot, KT D-3N1-22. The slot will fit an iPad, I have an 11" netbook that will fit. That pocket is empty while I'm at the parks, but it's nice to keep electronics with you while going through the airport.

I used it with a D7000 with a battery grip, now I have a D600 with a battery grip. It's a bit of a tight fit, but I wanted a smaller bag size. While in the parks, I carry the camera with my Blackrapid strap. The camera is rarely in the bag.

I carry this bag on all the rides, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Expedition Everest, Rock-N-Roller coaster. It's tall and thin, so it can fit between your legs. Its thinness is also great for walking through crowds, you don't feel like you are hitting people as you pass by.

What's in the bag:
Nikon D600 w/ Battery grip
50mm f/1.4
30mm f/2
24-120mm f/4
11-16mm f/2.8
Polarizing filter
ND filter w/holder
SB-800 (usually left at the room, bit it fits)
Remote shutter release
PnS camera in the side pocket
Extra SD cards
Microfiber rag
Portable battery charger for phones
Sunglasses

I just bought the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/855680-REG/Lowepro_LP36423_PWW_Flipside_Sport_15L_AW.html

Just arrived in the mail today so I haven't had a chance to use it in the parks. However, it is bigger than I had expected (which is good!) and it has an awesome tripod holder, which I love. My beer can 75-300mm actually fits depth-wise, instead of vertically or width-wise, saving a lot of space in the pack. Honestly, this thing holds more than I had anticipated. :thumbsup2

Should work great for both holding my tripod, lenses, etc. as well as plenty of room for all my other junk that I carry around with me in the parks.

I got my blackrapid and used it this weekend. This is definitely something I've been looking for!!! Just have to figure out how to work it with my tripod.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Now to find the right bag.

I got my blackrapid and used it this weekend. This is definitely something I've been looking for!!! Just have to figure out how to work it with my tripod.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Now to find the right bag.
Black Rapid makes something called the Fastnr Tripod (FR-T1) that will fold flat to use inside a tripod adapter. It still means unscrewing and disconnecting the Connectr from the camera to use the tripod, though.

Accs_HomePage.jpg
FR-T1

I also experimented with a Carry Speed strap. I liked the Black Rapid strap better, but really liked the C-3 mounting plate that came with the Carry Speed.

NEW_C-3_grande.jpg

I've taken their Carry Speed connector off of it, and replaced it with a Black Rapid Fastnr. It allows me to use the camera on the tripod without having to disconnect the strap. I've since bought two more on these Carry Speed plates from E-Bay, and have one (along with a Black Rapid Fastnr and a tripod connector) permanently on each camera body, and one on my 100-400 lens.

I loved this bag for the exact same reasons you did UNTIL I went to Disney. I think that was the last time I used it. Carrying a bag around for a little while is much much different then carrying a bag around for 10 hours in the Florida heat (oct trip with that bag).

Another thing I found out is that if you dont have the camera out at all times are you likely to miss shots, could be from taking the time to get it out or not wanting the hassle of taking the camera out for 1 shot.

After that trip I made the following changes:
Black Rapid strap- This allowed me to keep the camera out at all times and be comfortable.
Crumpler 5 and 6 Million Dollar Home Bags- Depends on how much gear I want to carry. They both fit my t2i w/ Sigma 17-50 2.8, Sigma 10-20 and Canon 70-200 f/4 IS. The 6 million allows me to add my 430ii flash and little things like my rocketblower.

I use an X pattern (see image below) to carry and its comfortable for carry all day. I have used this setup in Europe as well as my last Disney trip in April 2013 and have 0 complaints about carrying. In addition I can attach a tripod to the 6 Million Dollar Home by being creative. If anyone wants to see that let me know.

I'll be going in February, so I don't suspect heat will be a problem.

I bought a Black Rapid strap at the same time I bought my new bag and typically use the same X pattern you demonstrated. It distributes the weight and keeps the camera handy.

I've gone on several long walks ( hour or more, 80-90+ degrees) with this setup and I've found it to be comfortable and workable. Granted, it's not 10 hours at WDW, but its a start.

Now, I just need to invest in the tripod adapter, quick release plate and new tripod and I'm pretty much set.

After that trip I made the following changes:
Black Rapid strap- This allowed me to keep the camera out at all times and be comfortable.
Crumpler 5 and 6 Million Dollar Home Bags- Depends on how much gear I want to carry. They both fit my t2i w/ Sigma 17-50 2.8, Sigma 10-20 and Canon 70-200 f/4 IS. The 6 million allows me to add my 430ii flash and little things like my rocketblower.

I use an X pattern (see image below) to carry and its comfortable for carry all day. I have used this setup in Europe as well as my last Disney trip in April 2013 and have 0 complaints about carrying. In addition I can attach a tripod to the 6 Million Dollar Home by being creative. If anyone wants to see that let me know.

I got a 7 million dollar bag in the mail yesterday! I wanted something to hold my tripod and it was the only option. (and was 5 dollars more than the 6 million dollar bag)

Question for you. Is it pretty water proof? That's the only thing I'll be worried about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter