Camera/Bag Question

Disneycrums

Earning My Ears
We leave in 20 days and I am trying to finalize what I am going to bring. I have a SLR camera so it is quite large. I am wondering what most people bring...their SLR or just a small point and shoot? If you bring an SLR what type of bag do you use? I went today to look and they were all too small except for a pretty large back pack....which is what I was trying to avoid. I really liked the Bagallini messenger...but way too small. I could probably use a smaller bag if I took my camera out of it's case...but that makes me nervous. Any help would be appreciated. I also have to carry an epi-pen for dd who has a nut allergy...but those would be the 2 main things I would want to have in my bag.

Thanks!

I get nervous bringing my SLR to Disney. I'd love to because I know I'd get some amazing pictures with it but we'll be too busy on the rides and I just don't want something to happen to it (have it fall out on a ride, get wet, stolen, anything).

I had my SLR w/ me when @ the parks on 1-2-09. (We were in all 4 parks!)
To transport my SLR, I just used the Lowepro bag I have had for several years for my 35m Canon Rebel. Once it was time to begin our day in the parks I used a backpack to carry my extra lens and tripod. I did have a small jacket in the bag to give padding. Most of the time my camera was around my neck. For rides like EE and SM I put it back into the backpack.

I have purchased a Lowepro Fastpack 200 (I believe is the model #) to use to keep my equipment (SLR w/ lens attached, charger, extra battery, 2 addt'l lenses, cards, etc.) We leave in one week and I don't plan on taking everything on the this trip. So I will use the same method as our New Years trip.

I have been bringing my 35mm SLR to Disney for over 5 years with no problem. The key thing that I do though is to only take the camera body and 1 lens with me. I have a 28-300mm lens that I use for everything. I take as little with me as possible. I also in the same bag that I carry my camera in I carry my camcorder if I think I want both.

I have a bag that is like a large fanny pack. It has the straps that go around your waist, but it also has a shoulder strap. It is either made by Tammarac or Lowepro. I think it is Tammarac though. It can handle both of my cameras, and the few extras that I might need. It measures something like 12"x12"x5". It isn't to bad as far as carrying and if I am on a ride or I don't want to carry it the way it is designed it fits into my backpack.

I have a camera bag that I carry all of my lenses and flash, etc in on the trip down. But when we go to a park, I carry the body and 1 lens in a lowe topload bag. It is an extremely snug fit for the body and lens. There is one small zipper pocket on the front that can hold memory cards and an extra battery. But I find I rarely need more than that 1 lens. If I know I will need more, it is always on a day where photography is my main objective. So I carry the big bag and tripod in. But the Lowe topload comes in several sizes and I got the size that just barely fit my camera and "normal" lens.

I have a Canon EOS 40D with 6 different lenses. I'm planning to minimize the carrying burden by only bringing 3 lenses that will give me complete coverage: a 10-22mm EF-S, a 24-105mm L IS, and a 100-400mm L IS. Full coverage from ultrawide 10mm to super-tele 400mm. I figure I don't need any fixed focal length prime lenses for vacation shots.

I also have 2 Speedlite 580EX II units, but I'm leaving one at home. Everything fits neatly in a Lowepro Nova 5AW bag, and on certain days I'll leave the big 100-400mm lens in the room and just carry the DSLR and 2 lenses in a backpack with some clothes in it for padding.

I only go to the parks with my DSLR and one lens each time and switch them at the room. I use my Lowepro Top Load zoom bag or sometimes just have the camera slung over my shoulder to avoid the bag check lines.

Also some days we just bring a compact P&S.

I have a Crumpler 6 million dollar home that has all my lenses and stuff in it. This bag is far too large to lug around all day. I have a 4 million dollar home that is big enough to hold my rebel xt body with lens attached and my small video camera.

I upgraded to a 40D and I'm going to have to get a 5 million dollar home because it's just barely too big for the 4.

Check them out, they're cute. They don't scream I AM A CAMERA BAG!!

I either use my usual tamarac bag that holds the camara w/standard and my 300 lens or I carry a leather shoulder sling with all my other essentials and both fit in it just fine. I only own 2 lenses so I don't have too much to keep up with. I did bring one of the new xlarge ziploc bags to put it in on kali rapids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter