camcorder???

I think you will find differing opinions on this subject. I personally take a digital camera and camcorder to the park. My daughter and I love editing down our videos into a neat vacation movie once we return back home.

As far as one to recommend? I'd go with a miniDV format camcorder. I personally have a Sony that I absolutely love but I know that Panasonic and Canon also make great camcorders. The miniDV format will allow you to connect it to your PC via firewire and do lots of easy editing.

It's incredible and you will want to preserve the memory, but remember to have fun and enjoy yourself, not just be looking through the camera the whole time! On our last trip we brought the cameras the first couple of days, then decided to ditch them in the room so we wouldn't feel like pack horses lugging them around, afraid to bring them on rides. OK, this was 10 years ago and we had a HUGE Nikon film camera and an old fashioned video camera that each had huge bags, LOL. Modern lightweight cameras should be a breeze.

:goodvibes

I just got my first camcorder for my trip in September! The one I got wasn't the exact one I wanted, but it was such a steal I couldn't refuse. I got one of the Sony DCR-DVD ones (301 model) and I really like it so far. It is nice and compact and it fits in my small backpack perfectly with my digital camera!

ScoJo15 what do you use to edit your videos? Just the stuff that came from Sony or something more? I'm looking into getting the Adobe Premire/Elements bundle pack.

scoutsmom99 said:
ScoJo15 what do you use to edit your videos? Just the stuff that came from Sony or something more? I'm looking into getting the Adobe Premire/Elements bundle pack.

After trying out tons of programs (MGI Videowave, Premiere, etc) I like Pinnacle Studio the best. It is so easy to use and has lots of new features (recording in 5.1 surround sound, a blue screen effect, picture in picture). Feel free to message me or e-mail me if you have specific questions about it.

I would definitely bring one the video or dv that you shoot will become precious memories someday. We have video of beloved hubby at disney over the years and that is the only way our 5yrold who was 18months when he passed can see him as an actual living person at one time would not trade those vidoes for anything.

I can certainly understand the desire to preserve those magical moments, but if you don't usually take a camcorder with you to special events or when you vacation, there is some adjustment required. First of all, you have to carry the darn thing, which isn't as bad with the newer lighter-weight models. depending on how many kids/backpacks/etc. you're juggling, this could be problematic.

Then, you have to remember to use it. Again, if it's not your usual habit to consider "filming" time, you may find yourself, more than once, saying, "shoot, I missed that, everyone do that again!"

We're still considering whether or not to borrow a friend's again when we go. We have video from a cruise we took 15 years ago which is absolutely priceless, but I found on our last WDW trip I was tempted to just give the camera to a passing stranger and give up, rather than carry it around any longer.

Shelley

**Read my Disney blog!**
http://www.movershakerbirthdaycakebaker.blogs.com/remember_the_magic

We definately bring our camcorder. It's not huge, but not small like some of the new digital ones!! We LOVE watching the videos from all our trips!! Sometimes it's a hassle, but I just remember how much joy it brings to all of us when we are back home!! :cloud9:

Taking my digital camera and camcorder...

QUESTION ON SONY>>>>

i posted this elsewhere, but since you have one hopefully you can help.

I am getting the dcr-hc42 minidv what cable do I need to make the picture better when downloading it onto the computer.

Also, do you have extra batteries, what kind?

Thanks a bunch!!!

We always bring it with us and usually record atleast once at every park. We dont bring it every minute b/c it can be a pain even though it is small since we do carry my small digital camera. Next trip we are going with friends for the first time and we will probably bring it all the time to capture all the fun!

fairytalehaven said:

QUESTION ON SONY>>>>

I am getting the dcr-hc42 minidv what cable do I need to make the picture better when downloading it onto the computer.

Thanks a bunch!!!

That was the one I was gonna get! I'm jealous. I believe the 42 comes with a docking station that uses an USB port. I woudl think that would be fine. Also inside the box there will be a accessory booklet from Sony showing which batteries are compatiable (also will be in instruction manual!). Batteries are gosh darn expensive I looked at Best Buy the other day and they wanted $100.00 for a battery I found at BHphoto (same sony battery) for $70! But, I'm gonna check out Costco for batteries too.

scoutsmom99 said:
Batteries are gosh darn expensive I looked at Best Buy the other day and they wanted $100.00 for a battery I found at BHphoto (same sony battery) for $70! But, I'm gonna check out Costco for batteries too.

I have a SONY DVD 201, and I bought a spare battery from ebay!! it was from hong kong. worked fine. and saved me about $80 on the price.

I have always took a camcorder to the parks, and love filming naturally as we're walking round, just to get the atmosphere.

When I come back, it prolongs the holiday feeling a little when I'm editing my videos, and making dvd's.

I use Ulead Videostudio to edit into 1 mpg file, then DVD LAB PRO to author menus/scene selection/bonus menus etc.

I love to make a music video with my fav song of the time and clips, and put this and photos on as special features.

fairytalehaven said:

QUESTION ON SONY>>>>

Thanks a bunch!!!

A firewire cable will do the trick. The USB cable is used for streaming video (think webcam) and picture downloads.

Extra batteries are expensive but very very worth it!! Buying just one extra will allow you to keep one battery charged at all times. You will most definitely need it if you are taking to a place like Disney.

I have a Canon miniDV and I brought in 2003 and used it when my DH was in class. I am taking in our next trip since he won't be with us.

I have a small backpack camera bag that can fit my camcorder, Digital SLR with my big lens (28-200), spare batteries for both, extra tapes and CF cards.

I just purchased a Canon ZR200 for our trip in Nov., it's light and compact and has quite a few features. I also will be using my Fuji FinePix 3800 for stills. The Canon has an SD card and can be used for stills, but it is only 1 megapixel.

Does the humidity effect any of your cameras down in Disney? :confused3

Last year when we used ours, sometimes it would turn itself off due to humidity (I think?).

Any good suggestions?

nutsforgolf said:
Is is worth bringing a camcorder to Disney. If so, can you recommend one?

From 1 Nut to another ;)...

I've done WDW both w/my camcorder & without it. It's definitely easier & more fun without it.

Cons :( :
The expense of it & all its various accessories.
Packing it & all its various accessories, esp. if flying. I prefer to travel lite.
Lugging it & all its various accessories to the parks.
Lugging it & all its various accessories on the rides & attractions.
Protecting it & all its various accessories on water attractions.
Sometimes longer entry procedures at security checkpoints at the parks.
Cameraguy gets different perspective w/eye stuck in viewfinder instead of just relaxing & enjoying stuff.
Cameraguy inevitably tries for better viewing spot for filming than if just relaxing & watching shows, parades, etc.
Camera will inevitably be in room when you wish you had it or with you when haven't turned it on & you wish you left it in your room.

Pros :) :
Personal, often once-in-a-lifetime, memories that you can relive w/your loved ones once home...if you & your family are into that...some folks never look at their pix/films again. We enjoy viewing ours occasionally.

I will probably be bringing mine again on our next trip, but I'm not 100% sure.

Btw, years ago I heard that the camera shops in the parks rent[/]camcorders. I never rented any. I don't know if their equiptment is any good. I don't know how much they are to rent. I don't even know if they still rent them. I only mention it because maybe someone else knows about renting them down there or you can call guest svces & find out if you are interested in going that route.

Hope this helps you out. Have a great vacation! :)

kellyf2626 said:
Does the humidity effect any of your cameras down in Disney? :confused3

Last year when we used ours, sometimes it would turn itself off due to humidity (I think?).

Any good suggestions?

Sorry I can't help with the humidity questions but your post reminded me of a tip...

The extreme temps from heat & central a/c caused my camera lens to fog up several times...remember to check your camera lens before shooting. I bring an optical lens wipe for my camera, though I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do/advise. :confused3

The fogging problem happens going from AC to outside. I always solve it by leaving my camera's on the balcony for about fifteen minutes before I head out.

As for what brand, I have had a Sony DCRTV22 Mini DV for about a year and half, and it is great.

A great plavce for reviews is cnet.com. Another good one is digitalcamera-hq.com.

I just bought a Canon zr300 for my up coming sept. trip! I will be recording as much as I can! We just got it yesterday, and are still trying to figure it all out! We esp. want to be able to download it to our computer to make DVD's, but we have NO idea how to do it???!!! Do I need special softwear for it? Or do I just need a special cable for it??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter