• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calypso Cay Resort Timeshare

A Mickeyfan

DIS Veteran
Has anyone recently stayed at the Calypso Cay Resort Timeshare? Not the suites, but the actual Timeshare side. I won a 2 bedroom lock out on E-Bay so I won't have to do any presentations, and I should not have to be paying any extra's. I was wondering if anyone has any info on these. I have stayed at the suites and the Country Inn & Suites there, but not the timeshare. When I check them out on Tripadvisor, I am getting some really mixed reviews. I am wondering if the mixed reviews are because they lump the suites together with the timeshare for the reviews. I also am wondering because some I read were from those who stayed there through a presentation deal. So...if anyone has any updated information on this place please let me know.. TIA :flower3:

I would be interested in hearing about this as well. How did you get a package without a presentation? Like you, we have stayed at the other properties there as well, just 2 weeks ago in fact. May I ask what your package includes? Our son and family are looking for something for next April as are we.

I'm curious about this place, too. We won a 2 bedroom through Skyauction. Got it for $400 for the week! We are going the week of May 13th. :)

It is not a package that I have, it is just a rental that I am doing. I won a 2 bedroom lockout rental on Ebay for July. I am paying $365 for 7 nights. :thumbsup2 I like the area, as it is an easy commute to Disney and somewhat easy to Universal. Great for shopping with Publix down the street & Wal-mart right next door. The Outlet mall is basically up the street from there and there is the smaller outlet strip mall right there too. So for location, you can't beat it (especially at the price). I am just wondering about it with all the mixed reviews I read.
After reading them, some gave me the impression that they were not happy due to the presentation they had to do, the money they had to spend (taxes and fees due to the presentation). Some of the reviews also gave me the impression that they were reviewing the Suites, not the timeshare, so that is another ball game totally. I am really wondering what the timeshare units are like, what is included in the kitchen, how is the internet, it looks like they give you a computer there??? do they have wifi for your lap top? how big are the rooms etc.... that is what I am interested in.. also, which bldgs are phase one and phase two??? as that is where I will be placed since I have a lockout.. Strange no one on here has been there before.. :confused3 :worried: :crazy2:

I'm curious about this place, too. We won a 2 bedroom through Skyauction. Got it for $400 for the week! We are going the week of May 13th. :)

If we don't find anything out before you go, you will have to let me know when you come back as I don't go till July 21st.. is yours a lockout or straight 2 bedroom?

How recent is recent? We were there in 2010.

that will do... :goodvibes I happened to call them today to confirm my ressie and was told by the resort that they do "not' guarantee a "lockout" :confused3 they said it was all a matter of arrival day and availability. I won my auction on Ebay and it stated it was for a lockout.. oh well, so I may not end up with one.. but anyway.. yes, if you can tell me anything about the timeshare side of this resort.. how big are the units, do they have wi-fi in the units, what comes in the kitchen (dish soap etc...) and were they clean!!! thanks :goodvibes

yes, if you can tell me anything about the timeshare side of this resort.. how big are the units, do they have wi-fi in the units, what comes in the kitchen (dish soap etc...) and were they clean!!! thanks :goodvibes

OK, here is what I remember: The units are nice but VERY bright, almost to the point of gaudy. I chose to think of it as an Eastern European idea of the Caribbean. :laughing: The beds were pretty good, there was a TON of room. We did have a lockoff. There's a side with a bigger kitchen, larger bathroom, separate jacuzzi tub. The smaller side still has full amenities but is just a bit smaller and the jacuzzi tub is also the base of the shower.
The newer pool, behind the complex, is really nice. There was a masseuse offering $1/minute massages by the pool some days, my son (then 7) loved the water slides, and it wasn't too crowded during the day because people were at the parks! The original pool has a bigger waterslide but is not as nicely landscaped, etc. It's worth a look, though. There was this weird computer thing in the units back then, but I think they changed to a TV-web service. They definitely have wi-fi. I remember the kitchens being really well stocked, and I don't think I've ever run into a timeshare that didn't supply dish soap (after all, they WANT you to keep the dishes clean!).
I highly suggest you check out their website (calypsocay dot com) because I found it very helpful in planning when we went. We used it as a base for Sea World and other non-Disney fun, and we liked it just fine. The clientele was maybe a bit more (OK, a lot more) blue collar than the Marriotts we usually stay in, but that was fine, we were glad to see everyone so happy to be on vacation! A few more beer cases and laundry baskets as luggage than we are used to seeing, but we had no problems with noise or run-ins at the pool. Just be aware that the parking fills up fast at night when everyone gets back from the parks!
Enjoy your trip! I'm sure it'll be a great one!

thanks for your help.. I have actually stayed at 2 timeshare units where they gave you one roll of toilet paper and for each bathroom for the week..and after that, they sold it to you!!! Oak Plantation and Bare Foot'in the keys. ::yes:: Now maybe they have changed, I don't know, but when I stayed, you had to purchase extra toilet paper... anyway.. I was worried about the size and wi-fi ... I did figure the clientele would be different as this is one of the places that actually to timeshare presentation bookings.. It isn't going to be the Marriott or Bonnet Creek. At $365 for the week, I won't complain too much about it, as long as it is clean! :thumbsup2 One of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor (a resent one too) stated that the "new" pool was not opened, but I had thought it was and you just confirmed it for me, unless there is an other "newer" pool, but I didn't think they built another there. :confused:

I just hope that I end up with the lockout as that is what I bid on and won on E-Bay.. I don't get how the Resort can state they don't guarantee that :confused: I have gone on their website several times but I haven't found it to be that helpful unless I am not accessing it correctly. I have pulled up some information, but it wasn't giving me what the unit is stocked with. It stated something out a computer, and did show that certain check in days are for the lockouts.. of which I am checking in on one of them. From what it looks like, with a Saturday check in, if I was to get a lockout, I would be in phase 2.. do you know where that is??? I am thinking phase 1 & 2 are the original blgds to the right between the suites and the Country Inn... I would think the newer sections would be over by Runaway Bay.. right? that is what is also confusing on the website.. it doesn't show the phases... once again.. thanks for your help.. :goodvibes

One of the reviews I had read on Trip Advisor (a resent one too) stated that the "new" pool was not opened, but I had thought it was and you just confirmed it for me, unless there is an other "newer" pool, but I didn't think they built another there. :confused:

Actually, I think they built a new splash area that is opening this month according to the website. The Owners' Pool is the nice one I liked last time.

with a Saturday check in, if I was to get a lockout, I would be in phase 2.. do you know where that is??? I am thinking phase 1 & 2 are the original blgds to the right between the suites and the Country Inn... I would think the newer sections would be over by Runaway Bay.. right? that is what is also confusing on the website.. it doesn't show the phases... once again.. thanks for your help.. :goodvibes

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar at all with the Runaway Bay side, we stayed in one of the "yellow" buildings, the one farthest back, and had a view of the Owners' Pool. It seemed to be the newest at the time, and they have room on the other side of the pool for two or even three new buildings.

What kind of documentation did you get from your eBay seller? Is this directly from the company or from an owner who books the specific week for you? I don't know what they "guarantee" their owners, if you own a 2-bedroom I know you can chop it up into two one-bedrooms, but of course if they have a lot of people doing that, a regular 2-bedroom might be what they have. I will encourage you with this: there did not seem to be many 2-bedroom units, and they all seemed to be used as a 3-bedroom with the lockoff, so we (and everyone we talked to) had the lockoffs as 2-bedrooms.

I will grant you that there is no specific inventory on the website. However, the site says "from tablecloths to toothpicks" and we found that to be true. Many times at a Marriott we have had to ask for a cookie sheet or something else in the kitchen, which we were told to bring right back. At Calypso, I remember having trouble finding space in the cabinets for food because they were full of kitchen stuff. TP and paper towels, you're expected to supply your own after you exhaust what they've given you. That's a pretty standard timeshare thing. Usually they'll have one little bar of soap in each bathroom, and no shampoo or conditioner, and you need to exchange your own towels once a week, usually, and of course clean your own room. ;) We are so used to this now that staying in a hotel for more that one night drives us crazy!

I don't know if you're bringing two families and that is why the lock-off is so important to you, or if you just have 8 people; if your group is that big, please make sure whomever sold you the week knows that and lets the office know. I'm sure they will figure something out for you!

At $365 for the week, I won't complain too much about it, as long as it is clean!

Sorry, I forgot to say! We found everything quite clean, but they had some stupid "tchotchy" stuff on the coffee table that was dusty. We just moved it into a closet so we could have the space back! ;)

once again.. thanks for your info :thumbsup2

Yes, we are 2 families going...::yes:: a friend of mine and I are sharing it for the week. When we saw it was a lockout, we figured instead of us doing separate units, we would do this. She is taking her DD and maybe her DD's friend who are in their early teens.
I was taking possibly my DD & DS who are 19 & 25. They are all friends, but still would want some privacy.

I too have been doing timeshares for many many years now.. and normally have not run across any problems with toilet paper, soap etc and know that you are expected to provide your own once all is used up. I just know that the two that only provided one tp for each bathroom... I had never experienced that before them nor since them :confused3 and just like to know ahead of time. Usually you get at least 2 per bathroom, not one :confused3

http://www.calypsocay.com/about-us/resort-map.php this is the map on their website that I have been looking at and was trying to figure out. I know the two yellow bldgs have been there, and the one's over by Runaway Bay with the numbers were added later.. then I knew they were supposed to have built where they show the drawing of the other bldgs.. wonder if they did :confused3 The last time I stayed on that complex was in Sept 2008. They were building the Owners pool then, I stayed at the Country Inn & Suites then.

I have a Guest Certificate from II, but like I said, I called the resort directly and the two different Guest Service reps I spoke to (called twice) said the same thing, there are no direct bookings of lockouts. They are based on what is available upon check in. My Guest Certificate does state I am getting a 2 bedroom. When I told them that, they said that is what it should state. They recommended I called their resort directly 10 days out (which is when the ressie will be in their system @ the resort) and they can put a request in, but cannot guarantee it. I also called II and they stated that the resort will work with me and do their best to get me what I need, but that they (II) cannot put in the reservation as a lockout.

I have contacted the seller and have not heard back. I mean if worse comes to worse, we are going to make it work.. we have known each other for 20 years! She remembers me pregnant with my youngest and visa versa :) We just thought it would be better for her DD & friend to have privacy if my DS was there... early teens around a 25 year old male...not good walking around in your PJ's :rotfl: they would feel uncomfortable. For the price we got it for, it is too good to pass up...:thumbsup2 I would never dream of asking for a refund due to incorrect advertising! At least not at $365 for the week... that comes to 182.50 for each of us.... nope.. we will make it work ::yes::::yes::::yes::

We are also sharing the week @ Blue Tree too the end of May, but my DS is not coming with us (for sure) then. Sharing the 2 bedroom is no biggie there. It will be her, her DD, me and possibly my DD...that is it.. Living only 3 hours away, we are going to try and get 4 weeks in over the summer. I have one week booked @ The Fountains for my Family ... so that leaves us with trying to find 2 more weeks where we can go in on deal...:cool1:

I called tonight and found out that I will be staying in Building 24. According to the guy I talked to it's one of the newest buildings. It seems kinda far away from everything. I wonder if that will be good or bad? lol

Bldg 24 is over in the Runnaway Beach ( I kept calling it Bay :rotfl:) section. I think it is nicer over there as it is part of the Mike Ditka (sp) complex. I think there is a pool over there, not sure if you can use it or if it is just for the other complex.
I have to wait till it gets closer for me to contact them to find out what I will be getting. I was offered a refund as the seller/renter on ebay was not aware of the no guarantee with the lockout. I declined it. For the price we are paying, it is still worth it.
I hope you have fun.. :goodvibes

I'm back from my stay at Calypso Cay. It was worth the $400 I paid for the week. The worst thing for me was that Wifi was almost non-existent. I could catch it every once in a while but it was very weak. The antique computer in the room was useless. It didn't even have a place to hook up the mouse. Do you know how hard it is to navigate without a mouse?!:confused:

When we checked in, we were given room 110C in the 5000 building. When I called before we left I was told we would be in Building 24. The main pool was out of order the entire week. There was a fresh coat of paint going on the slide. It was looking really nice. My husband said that the smaller pool was open but we never used it. There was a $250 hold place on my credit card. If you are only taking a debit card, this might be a problem. There were a few things that could have been improved like the doors to the laundry room would not close. It was like the doors were too big for the opening. Nothing major though. Overall it looked nice. I would stay there again. Mostly hated not having reliable wifi. lol I love my phone & Kindle! :)

Below is a link to my album on photobucket. IF you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope this helps someone!

http://photobucket.com/calypso_cay_resort

KerriKaden...thank you very much for your post.. it does help me :goodvibes I don't go till the middle of July so maybe by then they will have the pool finished. It does look like the doors were a bit big, but other than that, it looks nice! I am thinking that the poor reviews were for the hotel section and not the timeshare.
I don't carry a debit card, only a credit card, so that won't be a problem as long as they don't hold it for ever :lmao: I know once the Lowe's Hotels over @ Universal did hold them for several days after your check out.. and it caused a problem for a friend of mine. I personally have never had a problem like that.
I will just call them 10-14 days prior to check in to see if they are going to be able to give me my lock-off. That is the main thing I am a little concerned about.. once again.. thanks for your post.. I am sure it will help others in the future too when they do a search.. especially your great pictures!!!! :thumbsup2

I did forget to mention that there was not a hairdryer in the room. I thought almost everyone had that. We asked for one, and got the last one they had. It was a piece of junk. So, I would bring your own.

Also, you check in at the hotel which is called Lake Buena Vista Suites or something like that. It was very nice outside and the lobby was nice.

The pool should be ready very soon. There was a sign saying it would be open on May 18, but it wasn't. All of the rain could have interfered with that though.

wow!!! glad you mentioned that.. I stopped bringing them with me because I thought everyone had them now.. I will have to remember to bring one!!! I had a smaller travel one, now I will have to find it :thumbsup2 I have a while to do so..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter