• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Calling home from St. Maarten

akl432

First-time cruiser!
I would like to call to loved ones in the U.S. while we are docked in St. Maarten. I don't have a cell phone that would work (my Virgin Mobile phone pay-as-you-go phone does not have service in St. Maarten at all). Is there a phone center/cafe near the ship where I could make a call to the U.S. at a reasonable price? If so, can you tell me where it is located and give a rough idea of per-minute rates?

Thanks!!

Yes, St. Thomas is included - thanks :) I need to make a call on St. Maarten also.

If you want the cheapest place to call, I would wait until you are onboard and as your servers to tell you where they go or where other's go.
They will know the places with the cheapest rates to call internationally.
That's if the $2.49 a minute Cellularatsea service on ship before and after you dock (think 1 hr each way) in St Maarten is too expensive! lol! :rotfl2:

Sounds kinda important thou so cheap is relative along with convenience.

Ex Techie :)

That's a great idea -- thanks! I'll ask our servers where they go. I never thought of that. Thanks much! :)

Our Tour bus driver referred us to a gift shop during our stop on the French side of the island that offered free calls to the US. His name was Mr. Cool (yes I am serious). It was on the Butterfly World/city tour. But we also did go to the main shopping district and noticed several places to make calls to the US for free or for a low price

Our Tour bus driver referred us to a gift shop during our stop on the French side of the island that offered free calls to the US. His name was Mr. Cool (yes I am serious). It was on the Butterfly World/city tour. But we also did go to the main shopping district and noticed several places to make calls to the US for free or for a low price

We'll be going to Le Galion Beach or Orient Beach and then back to the port near the ship (Phillipsburg) for shopping. I was thinking it would be easiest to make the call from the shopping area near the Phillipsburg port. Were the places to make calls to the US for free or for a low price in the Phillipsburg shopping area?

We'll be going to Le Galion Beach or Orient Beach and then back to the port near the ship (Phillipsburg) for shopping. I was thinking it would be easiest to make the call from the shopping area near the Phillipsburg port. Were the places to make calls to the US for free or for a low price in the Phillipsburg shopping area?

I did see some in the Phillipsburg area as well. There were some shops along the beach and on the next street over.

Not sure if you will have a laptop, tablet or smart phone, but several of the bars along orient beach have free wifi. Just ask the bartender and they will let you know if they have wifi and give you the code. Last time we were there, we grabbed a couple of drinks and skyped back home with the kids while right there on the beach at no cost.

CyberLink in Philipsburg offered internet phone calls the last time I checked.

It's on Nisbeth Steeg (alley) off of Frontstreet, probably a 20 minute walk from the Cruise Facility.

If you're taking a laptop there are a number of free WiFi hotspots around the island, including several on Orient. Not on le Galion to my knowledge.

gary

Here's a photo of CyberLink.

(click)

It's next door to Juggie's, which has lots of signage, so you should be able to find the place fairly easily.

gary

I would like to call to loved ones in the U.S. while we are docked in St. Maarten. I don't have a cell phone that would work (my Virgin Mobile phone pay-as-you-go phone does not have service in St. Maarten at all). Is there a phone center/cafe near the ship where I could make a call to the U.S. at a reasonable price? If so, can you tell me where it is located and give a rough idea of per-minute rates?

Thanks!!

I would note that Joyce Prince offers island tours, and one of the benefits available is a free call home when she picks you up.

I am very happy to make a new personal service available.
When we meet for your tour, you can make a free call back home at no additional charge.

Also, please Avoid the Blue Credit Card Phones on the island, as they can be VERY expensive.

gary

I have been wondering about this too..Am I crazy or did I read somewhere that if you have AT&T that you can make normal free calls from either St Thomas or St Marteen?

I have been wondering about this too..Am I crazy or did I read somewhere that if you have AT&T that you can make normal free calls from either St Thomas or St Marteen?

St. Thomas only. We just returned from this cruise. We called home and checked our email. It was so funny to see all the cell phones out while the ship was in port when we hadn't seen them earlier. Many people were calling or texting on their phones, especially the teens! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter